Opinions on Walther PPK .380 and pic request

I was thinking of a Beretta Cheetah for CCW, but the price is too high. The PPK looks like a timeless classic. I was wondering if the safety is also a decocker. Also is the internal slide lock a pain? Anyone that owns one I would like your opinion. How are they to carry? I know they are heavier than a polymer pistol but are they small enough? If you have a Talo please post a picture. They are really nice looking (all PPK's), not just the Talo's. How's the reliability and accuracy? Thanks in advance.

I have a PP that I carry on occasion. Nice little pistol 32 acp never had a problem with the decocker. Bought it years ago and for short money and still kicking myself for not buying 2. Magazines may be pricey cost me $50 for a genuine Walther mag. Yes I know 32 acp ha ha but no one has volunteered to let me put 2 or 3 rounds into them yet. I should add that this pistol will feed hollow points no problem and at short range decently accurate.

Last edited:
From the stuff I've been reading the new .380 defensive loads have been improved upon. You are right highlander, I wouldn't want to get hit with a.32 or .380. I watched a Hickock video on the PPK, and a .380 appears to have enough.

I was thinking of a Beretta Cheetah for CCW, but the price is too high. The PPK looks like a timeless classic. I was wondering if the safety is also a decocker. Also is the internal slide lock a pain? Anyone that owns one I would like your opinion. How are they to carry? I know they are heavier than a polymer pistol but are they small enough? If you have a Talo please post a picture. They are really nice looking (all PPK's), not just the Talo's. How's the reliability and accuracy? Thanks in advance.

My buddy had the Beretta Cheetah and it was 100% reliable and fairly accurate. But he really didn't carry it too much because of it's size and weight. Back in 2002 I had a Walther PPK/S. IMHO it was not as reliable or as accurate as my buddies Beretta. I found I carried my S&W M36 more often than I carried the PPK/S. But if I had to pick between the two pistols, I'd take the Beretta.

Sterg, are you looking for a new S&W built PPK or an older Interarms model ???
Probably a new one. I have read S&W had a recall on the safety in 2002-2006. Don't quote me on the dates. I wouldn't rule out an older one but I've heard they are pricey.

Sparky, I really like the Beretta but it won't fit in my pocket. I have the 92 and it is a joy to shoot. I imagine the Cheetah would be also. A plus for. The Cheetah is it has the same platform as my 92.

- - - Updated - - -

I would go with sigs version on the PPK, the P232. It is much better quality.
I just looked at some videos. I'm sure they are reliable. Are the PPK's unreliable?

Last edited:
Sparky, I really like the Beretta but it won't fit in my pocket. I have the 92 and it is a joy to shoot. I imagine the Cheetah would be also. A plus for. The Cheetah is it has the same platform as my 92.

- - - Updated - - -

Same all steel construction?

Yes, stainless steel.

Probably a new one. I have read S&W had a recall on the safety in 2002-2006. Don't quote me on the dates. I wouldn't rule out an older one but I've heard they are pricey.

The early production S&W built guns had problems with breakage of some MIM parts, I believe they have this all ironed out now.
What I don't like about the S&W models is the extended tang they redesigned for "fat American hands" to prevent hammer bite.
I carried a stainless Interarms PPK for about 10 years in an IWB holster.

Sig shooter, I just edited my reply,sorry. I saw your post and I went to look at some videos. One guy said dao on the sig, but he cocked the hammer so I'm confused

The P232 is DA/SA, I believe sig did make a version in DAO at one point. One can tell by looking on the left side of the pistol for the decocker. You can find a lot of good deals on the P232.

The early production S&W built guns had problems with breakage of some MIM parts, I believe they have this all ironed out now.
What I don't like about the S&W models is the extended tang they redesigned for "fat American hands" to prevent hammer bite.
I carried a stainless Interarms PPK for about 10 years in an IWB holster.
Zappa, is the Interarms a Walther made on contract like the S&W or a clone?

I like my Kahr PM9. I hated my PPK. With so many small 9s I wouldn't go 380 either. Good luck with whatever you choose.

The PPK is heavy for what it is, snappier than it should be because it's a straight blowback pistol, and it only holds 7 rounds of .380. Also, the trigger sucks.

The PPK is heavy for what it is, snappier than it should be because it's a straight blowback pistol, and it only holds 7 rounds of .380. Also, the trigger sucks.

+1. basically they suck. Pretty much everything about them other than James Bond.

I was also eyeballing Bersa's. I don't even know if they are Ma. Compliant. Like I said earlier, I like the idea of a hammer and extra safety while in my pocket. Right know I have a 642, and I like it rightly so, but I like the idea of a few extra rounds, and I'm thinking a pistol may be more comfortable than a cylinder digging into my leg. It's good to carry in the winter, but summer carry, the thing flings around in my shorts if I use the cargo pocket. Thought about getting one of those 5-11 tee shirts with the pocket in it.

+1 shootable, reliable, only $400.

But if he wants DA/SA not sure what's best. I wish the Sig P239 were polymer, and slightly smaller.
Varmint, can non Leo's buy them in Ma.? I have heard some buying the lower and then getting the barrel and slide separate.
Still the safety factor of not having a safety, although the trigger has a safety of sorts on it,right?

Last edited:
I would go with sigs version on the PPK, the P232. It is much better quality.

Seconded.

Walther PPK

Because James Bond

Ha ha. Yes.

So, guess you don't really like this one then.

+1 shootable, reliable, only $400.

But if he wants DA/SA not sure what's best. I wish the Sig P239 were polymer, and slightly smaller.

Look at a Makarov (9x18). You get one extra mm longer than the .380 (9x17), though it is one mm shorter than a 9mm (9x19). Plus, it has a decocker safety. Still a blowback, still heavy(ish), but very accurate, and lots of stuff for them such as grips, springs, etc.

What didn't you like about it other than what EddieCoyle says?

Well on top of what he said (heavy, trigger sucks, underpowered, snappy) they are crude in finish. Ergonomically awful compared to many other options. They are the kind of gun you buy because of the history and in short order realize why so many gun shops used pistol cases are always full of them. IMO you can do much better for the price. And size.

Zappa, is the Interarms a Walther made on contract like the S&W or a clone?

They were licensed for US production in Alexandria VA for (10 years ??)
All the stainless PPK units were US made after GCA68.
When the law passed, size restrictions were imposed thus importation was banned because the gun was a few hairs too small.
The PPK/S was later made with a larger frame and full metal backstrap. This made it just big enough to allow importation.
My personal experiences with the PPK/S were not favorable, they're finicky, either you get a good one or a bad one, I've seen many bad ones. My PPK was shot a lot and it does run reliably, on reloads and factory rounds.

I agree with every word.
But I wouldn't say they suck.
I'd take it over a Bersa any day of the week.
If you get a good one, they're a pretty darn good tool for the job.
They are not fun to shoot.
If I were to carry a .380 again, my choice would be a Colt Government Model .380
My buddy has one, I've shot it several times side-by-side with my PPK.
No comparison, the Colt shoots like a creampuff next to the Walther, far better trigger too.

standard.jpg

I've also fired the SIG P232, which is another DA, fixed barrel, straight blowback action.
Ergonomically it's more pleasant to shoot than the PPK, but feels chunkier in the hand.

Last edited:
I have the Smith PPK/s. I've no problems with it at all. As you mentioned, there was a recall back in "08. It carried back about 6 years or so. I only had it for a month by then. I was fortunate as I stumbled across the notice basically the first day it went out as I was checking up on some magazines. There was an issue with the decocker and parts. You needed to contact S&W for a return label which I did and sent it in. They handled them on a first come, first served basis. Then there was a delay on getting the parts, a couple months or so. By this time I have no idea how many thousands of PPK's were sent in. 6 years of production of a very popular firearm. Along with sending it in I asked if they could polish the ramps which they did. I was also one of the first to get theirs back. They stamped a dot in the hammer well to show that it was returned for the retro fit.

With that said, I really enjoy firing it. For me it is the perfect fit. At ten yards, rapid fire, I get all blacks. I also cannot get it not to feed or eject even while just barely holding it. As others stated, it is a bit heavier then it's contemporaries but then again, it's all steel. I don't pocket carry it but ankle or shoulder is just fine. I don't find it snappy to fire but I usually shoot .357's or larger if not 38's in a 642.

It is stainless, just reflecting objects so it appears black.

Back
Top Bottom