• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion from NES Electricians....The real ones!!!

Two weeks ago brother-in-law #1 was drilling in to the wall to install some drapery rods
for us, and hit metal. I was fastidious to make sure that it wasn't a riser for baseboard heating,
but he figured it could have been a wire protection nail plate.

Never heard of them, and now I'm looking at a photo of one.

NES delivers.

idk, looks like some unused real estate around the 7 o'clock area. ;)
Gotta leave room for expansion of the wiring when it gets hot.

Two weeks ago brother-in-law #1 was drilling in to the wall to install some drapery rods
for us, and hit metal. I was fastidious to make sure that it wasn't a riser for baseboard heating,
but he figured it could have been a wire protection nail plate.

Never heard of them, and now I'm looking at a photo of one.

NES delivers.

Gotta leave room for expansion of the wiring when it gets hot.
1651100096911.png One of the first things an inspector looks for. and when you are paying the inspector per visit, it's cheaper to buy big box of them and use them liberally.
As pictured, on plumbing too, can save a lot of future headaches.

Use a large enough box and if it is metal make sure to ground the box and use proper connectors to secure the wire sheath to the box.
Some staples within 12" from the box connectors would be nice too.
No need to tape any wirenut, they don't require it.

That box was made up by a homeowner or handyman.

If it at least had a metal cover on it, I would say it's was done better than some so called electricians I know of![rofl]

Yes, I'm licensed here in MA.

Use a large enough box and if it is metal make sure to ground the box and use proper connectors to secure the wire sheath to the box.
Some staples within 12" from the box connectors would be nice too.
No need to tape any wirenut, they don't require it.

That box was made up by a homeowner or handyman.

If it at least had a metal cover on it, I would say it's was done better than some so called electricians I know of![rofl]

Yes, I'm licensed here in MA.
It did have a cover on it and it looks like they actually put black e-tape on the switch leg to ID it.

View attachment 608954 One of the first things an inspector looks for. and when you are paying the inspector per visit, it's cheaper to buy big box of them and use them liberally.
As pictured, on plumbing too, can save a lot of future headaches.

When it comes to hanging cabinets, nothing holds like copper! [laugh]

When I moved into my house, there was a round fluorescent "circlite" that wasn't really working right, and I hate those anyhow.
1651108229834.png
Took it down, and in the ceiling, I found a baby food jar, with all sorts of wires going into it. Everything was taped into a big gob, and it was a little warm. I had an electrician buddy put in a ceiling fan there instead, and have a hanging light just beyond that now.

Also had a feed to the garage, which was a pull-chain lamp socket, with a plug adapter where the bulb would go, then out through the wall to the garage. Oh, and it had a big gash in it, as if someone struck it with a hatchet. Had him replace that with I think a box, and a GFCI where it came into the garage, and then off to a few strip lights, outlets, and the garage door opener. The GFCI worked out pretty well, and only tripped out when it should have (wet, flooded garage).

i-mean-what-lazy-bastard-doesnt-snip-off-a-cable-tie-47673043.png

So as I have been talking down more ceiling tiles found a few more junction boxes but they look like they were done by a pro, nothing alarming but I just wish they would label stuff, house has had at least three remodels and an addition over its lifetime and there is shit going every which way! Original owners had a tanning bed and a hot tub in the basement so I can get that wiring out of the way now.

All I wanted to do is swap some lights…….. I would say this box is stuffed beyond capacity plus, no NM clamp. What Say ye all? Fortunately there is enough slack in the cables so it can be re-worked into a bigger box.
I’ve seen worse. Definetily needs to be fixed. Hire a Licensed government electrician😂😂

When I moved into my house, there was a round fluorescent "circlite" that wasn't really working right, and I hate those anyhow.
View attachment 609097
Took it down, and in the ceiling, I found a baby food jar, with all sorts of wires going into it. Everything was taped into a big gob, and it was a little warm. I had an electrician buddy put in a ceiling fan there instead, and have a hanging light just beyond that now.

Also had a feed to the garage, which was a pull-chain lamp socket, with a plug adapter where the bulb would go, then out through the wall to the garage. Oh, and it had a big gash in it, as if someone struck it with a hatchet. Had him replace that with I think a box, and a GFCI where it came into the garage, and then off to a few strip lights, outlets, and the garage door opener. The GFCI worked out pretty well, and only tripped out when it should have (wet, flooded garage).
How is your garage now? All dried out? Sorry about your flood.

So as I have been talking down more ceiling tiles found a few more junction boxes but they look like they were done by a pro, nothing alarming but I just wish they would label stuff, house has had at least three remodels and an addition over its lifetime and there is shit going every which way! Original owners had a tanning bed and a hot tub in the basement so I can get that wiring out of the way now.
That’s the life of a service electrician every day lol

I love when the wires only come an inch out of the box as well

If you reworked that properly into a 4” square deep, you can have 6 14/2s in a 4” deep, max capacity!! If it was me, I would have done it differently in the first place, but I’d go 4-11/16 deep box, so you have some space to spare! Get new wire nuts rated for the number of wires. Also, ground the box!
I had an old timer foreman years ago who was the best! He didn’t use any 1/2 inch stock, waste of time. And all splice/junction boxes were in 4-11/16’s boxes and all receptacles and switches were in 4” SQ deeps. He had his shit together.

View attachment 608800
This is out of Ugly’s, 2020 edition. In the OPs situation you must count each black wire, each white wire, but all those grounds only count once. I don’t write the code.
You are kicked out of the IOEFHO for giving our trade away!

The International Organization of Electricians f***in Homeowners Over😂😂👍🏻

Op asked for real real sparkys but I have to wonder who the hell put that abortion together in the first place?

I’d be more concerned the same person who wired this (and should have his toolbox welded shut) has left his mark elsewhere in the house.

Back
Top Bottom