• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion from NES Electricians....The real ones!!!

Saw one of those on a detached garage at a former house. First I did after setting down my tools was call a licensed electrician who managed to make a good connection with 1" of wire sticking out of the basement wall. It's not just the electrical code knowledge but the skill at working with difficult stuff like this, fishing the unfishable, etc. that can make DIY more expensive than paying. The trick is having the skills to spot the difference early before you screw things up.
As with many different aspects of life, knowing your limit(s) is probably the most under-rated skill.

Interesting, I see that all the time, and I mean just about every box I have ever opened. Is that a code thing or more of a wiring method thing?
More of a workmanship thing/ ease of future service. Best practice is to only twist the splice itself. Makes it a bitch to come back and take it apart if needed if they are twisted like that. But nothing wrong with doing it as you did there.

More of a workmanship thing/ ease of future service. Best practice is to only twist the splice itself. Makes it a bitch to come back and take it apart if needed if they are twisted like that. But nothing wrong with doing it as you did there.
I can see where you coming from as the old work was twisted like that and yes it was a bitch to take apart lol.

6cee19f4b36acbae6e0adb4346ff5274698b50937f4c6c500995fdcd9af850ca.jpg

Hat tip: Instapundit reader Flight Er Doc

I traced out and cleaned up as much as I could, must of removed 5 miles of abandoned coax and ethernet cable but I'm crying uncle for now. I will say the next owner will have it easier than I did.

I bought a house in Southern NH in March. had a couple of hints that the previous owner did his own wiring..
1. Changed out the dryer circuit from a 3 prong recept , fed by a piece of 12/2 UF cable, to a 4 prong fed with 10/3 romex
2. Three way switches, both lights go on, then one light shuts off, then the other light shuts off.
3. Basement is finished, replaced the old 4in halogen recessed with new 6" LED wafers. the box attached is a sample of the work, a mixture of 14/2 and 12/2 romex spliced together . He intercepted the 1st floor bathroom GFCI circuit and wired the basement lighting off of it.
4. Basement wall receptacles were half constant, half controlled by the same dimmer which controlled the recessed lighting!!! If anyone ever plugged in anything electronic.....fried !!
5. old hot tub fed with 8/3 on a 50A breaker. Should be 6/3
6. electric floor heat doesn't work....that's on the list

Attachments

• basement JB.jpg
    basement JB.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 1
I bought a house in Southern NH in March. had a couple of hints that the previous owner did his own wiring..
1. Changed out the dryer circuit from a 3 prong recept , fed by a piece of 12/2 UF cable, to a 4 prong fed with 10/3 romex
2. Three way switches, both lights go on, then one light shuts off, then the other light shuts off.
3. Basement is finished, replaced the old 4in halogen recessed with new 6" LED wafers. the box attached is a sample of the work, a mixture of 14/2 and 12/2 romex spliced together . He intercepted the 1st floor bathroom GFCI circuit and wired the basement lighting off of it.
4. Basement wall receptacles were half constant, half controlled by the same dimmer which controlled the recessed lighting!!! If anyone ever plugged in anything electronic.....fried !!
5. old hot tub fed with 8/3 on a 50A breaker. Should be 6/3
6. electric floor heat doesn't work....that's on the list
Well, now I don't feel so bad. So 12/2 on a 30 amp circuit...yikes. Wait...did they just tape the wires over? Hey at least they used clamps on yours.

Back
Top Bottom