Open Carry Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one agree! Excercising rights and freedoms in MA is a DUMB IDEA. Please stay down in MA and continue to shelter in place.

Open carry day is every day in MA neighboring northern states...

Good for you.

Thanks.

I do find it interesting that you already know the outcome of something that, at this point, is basically just a topic of discussion. You don't know what outcome something would have. You maybe could make an educated guess, or have an opinion on what might be the outcome, but none of us here know what would happen in this hypothetical situation.

I know what could happen because it has already happened in California. Open carry activists started promoting open carry of unloaded guns, trying to make a statement. In response, the CA state legislature banned open carry. They thought, as you do, that their open carry activism would make things better. It didn't. It made things worse. In my opinion, the same outcome is most likely what would happen here.

Why do I think that the outcome of such an effort would be the same in MA as it was in CA? If you look at the history of gun control legislation in MA and CA, you will find that there are many parallels. What gets proposed there often gets proposed here and vice versa. We both have assault weapons bans. We both have "consumer protection" laws/regulations that restrict what handguns you can buy. In CA and MA, both houses of the legislature are controlled by the Democrats. In both states, the voters are overwhelmingly Democratic. In both states, most voters are anti-gun.

I've been involved in firearms activism in MA for a long time. I was visiting the State House and talking with legislators before passage of Chapter 180 of the 1998 laws. I've spoken with a lot of people who are both pro-gun and anti-gun. I believe I have a pretty good understanding of how your typical inside-495 soccer mom would react if she saw people carrying guns openly, and then found out that they weren't cops and what they were doing was legal. Sally Soccermom would be apoplectic. Sally Soccermom would not look at the people carrying guns and think "nothing happened, so it's no big deal." Instead, she would say "there oughta be a law!" and she would start contacting her legislators, urging them to pass a law banning open carry.

That is what happened in CA and that could also happen here. MA isn't NH or VT or even ME.

- - - Updated - - -

I for one agree! Excercising rights and freedoms in MA is a DUMB IDEA.

That is exactly what happened in CA. Open carry activists started exercising their fights and freedoms in CA to openly carry unloaded handguns. In response, the CA legislature passed a law taking away that right.

Sometimes it is best to let a sleeping dog lie.

It is already legal in MA right?

If you do not exercise your right you lose it. Do not fear your government. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If they make it illegal to open carry is there anything lost if everyone is already afraid of open carry?

If you do not exercise your right you lose it. Do not fear your government. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If they make it illegal to open carry is there anything lost if everyone is already afraid of open carry?[/QUOTE]

It would give them the opportunity to jam you up with an open carry charge if someone happens to see you CC'ing and calls the cops with a "man with a gun" report.

If you do not exercise your right you lose it. Do not fear your government. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If they make it illegal to open carry is there anything lost if everyone is already afraid of open carry?

There are bigger fish to fry right now. An open carry "protest" might make people feel better but beyond that I don't see how it's going to accomplish anything positive, and at the same time it will be moving focus away from things that are far more important right now. (7/20 ban, pending legislation, etc.)

Allright, well, seems the general consensus is that it is a bad idea. Thanks M1911 for the informative view on it. Sadly it seems donating to pro 2A entities, calling politicians and voting is all we can do really.

I was unaware how beaten this dead horse was already. I wouldn't have started the thread if I knew the extent of discussion that has already taken place here.

Several things would be lost.

First, people do open carry on occasion. This is more common in remote areas. If this becomes illegal, then they can no longer do that without risking criminal charges.

Second, if open carry becomes illegal, then if someone accidentally flashes their gun, then the authorities might try to claim they were actually carrying openly, and thus file criminal charges. Right now, you can't face criminal charges for carrying openly. And, as KuckleDragger posted, it would be hard for a chief to sustain revoking your license under the current laws.

So, yes, there is a downside.

Since when has shoving something in the govt.'s face helped a cause?

Nothing positive will come out of an open carry day.

If you want an open carry day and not loose your ltc. Join a reenactment group.

Last edited:
Just continue carrying concealed and allow it to print so people are slowly desensitized to the idea that others have a firearm.

Thanks,but dumb idea.

This....

Continue to support Comm 2A and GOAL. instead.

- - - Updated - - -

I for one agree! Excercising rights and freedoms in MA is a DUMB IDEA. Please stay down in MA and continue to shelter in place.

Open carry day is every day in MA neighboring northern states...

[rolleyes]

I'll pass. IMO open carry is a poor tactical decision. Even when just to make a point.

It's a good thing all those gays and transgenders didn't protest for their rights. Along with all the weed smokers. Damn good thing.

Last edited:
SGT Hartman is 5811.[rofl] No offense 5811.

[video=youtube_share;3j3_iPskjxk]http://youtu.be/3j3_iPskjxk[/video]

It's a good thing all those gays and transgenders didn't protest for their rights. Along with all the weed smokers. Damn good thing.
Go protest then. No one is stopping you from open carrying. Have fun.

It's a good thing all those gays and transgenders didn't protest for their rights.

This is an excellent point. But it took the gay community decades to achieve their current state of freedom. There were times during that struggle where they overreached, and suffered severe setbacks as a result. Perhaps this is analogous to our cause. Do we satisfy ourselves with incremental progress, or take a more radical approach with its greater risk?

This is an excellent point. But it took the gay community decades to achieve their current state of freedom. There were times during that struggle where they overreached, and suffered severe setbacks as a result. Perhaps this is analogous to our cause. Do we satisfy ourselves with incremental progress, or take a more radical approach with its greater risk?

At least in MA, I think it's going to take surgery as opposed to tearing down drywall with a claw. There's no way to win here in MA any other way.

We've been over this countless times already. The problem in MA is ignorance - no one knows jack shit about guns and, to quote NAS, people fear what they'd don't understand. The biggest moonbats I've talked to don't really have a problem with someone owning a revolver or an O/U shotgun. Their problem is with assault weapons (ignorance), high-capacity magazines (ignorance), semi-automatics (ignorance), lack of background checks (ignorance), the gun show and online loopholes (ignorance), and so on. Most MA dipshits have had no exposure to guns outside of watching movies so it's very easy for the vote-addicted politicians and the corrupt media to mislead the sheep - a CNN interview is all that most people in this state know! I have a friend who refused to believe that it's legal to carry a gun in this state until I pulled out the gun I was carrying! This is the primary reason I don't like this "open carry around town" idea - it'll just scare the sheep even more.

I have a friend who refused to believe that it's legal to carry a gun in this state until I pulled out the gun I was carrying!
It's amazing how many people believe this. Many also believe that carry permits are something that VIPS and people like jewelers get but that are out of reach for ordinaries. Some of this misconception actually helps us.

Some rights, if not exercised are lost. Open carry in NH is strengthened by exercising it.

Others are lost if exercised; something the CA Black Panthers who carried long guns openly in the 60's learned, and something open carry activists in that state learned when they took advantage of the legality of open carrying an unloaded handgun (now illegal in CA).

Wisdom is knowing which rights are strengthened, and which are lost, through exercise thereof.

When OC becomes a legislative issue, it will be framed as the open carry loophole. The employment of "loophole" is a significant chunk of what one needs in a ban state to ensure passage of a bill.

One idiots "loophole" is another reasonable persons Law. I hate how they misconstrue the word "loophole" with written law.....Kind of like Illegal vs. undocumented or immigrant....
The brainwashing is strong with the Libtards.....

This....
The whole point of the over the top gay pride events was to normalize it. As I like to say...
After seeing a guy in assless chaps riding a rainbow colored penis down the street and the world dosnt end, two guys holding hands is no big deal.
After seeing people buying diapers with a ar slung on your back, seeing a peak of a glocks grip sticking out if a shirt is no big deal....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom