OK, so shall I EF10 my stripped lowers or not? Clear opinion please, lets not turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it make sense to buy an 80% lower in NH and FA10 it/build (while keeping it in NH) and see what happens?

[slap][slap][slap]

You would be better off FA10'ing a fictitious rifle altogether. Make your serial number "Imadethisup" "just kidding" or "trollolololol".

Don't FA10 80's for god's sake.

[slap][slap][slap]

You would be better off FA10'ing a fictitious rifle altogether. Make your serial number "Imadethisup" "just kidding" or "trollolololol".

Or, since the media is getting ahold of lists of Manufacturs and Models numbers FA-10'd you should make up:
Model: SCREWHEALEY01 Manufacturer: FASCIST ARMS

[slap][slap][slap]

But cannot buy 100% stripped lowers anymore. FA10 a fake rifle and you have filed a false record. 80% lowers, unless you have 100% lowers kicking about are the only way to make it happen.

But cannot buy 100% stripped lowers anymore. FA10 a fake rifle and you have filed a false record. 80% lowers, unless you have 100% lowers kicking about are the only way to make it happen.

So. What is the penalty for creating a falsified FA10? I'm sure if there was one, Four Seasons would be up shit's creek by now since they falsified every single FA10 filed on all receivers & lowers they sold.

So. What is the penalty for creating a falsified FA10? I'm sure if there was one, Four Seasons would be up shit's creek by now since they falsified every single FA10 filed on all receivers & lowers they sold.
I am not 100% sure. But per jdubois
If you are doing it intentionally to screw with the FRB, I suspect you could be prosecuted for fraudulently filing false records (C.267 § 1). Up to 10 years in state prison.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/314425-Poisoning-the-registration-system

This doesn't help with stripped lowers that are not built out. I have a lower that isn't built and which, according to MA law isn't a firearm at all. What does this "help" from her office mean for me? Who knows. Registering within a week was never a thing for stripped lowers, only for completed firearms. I don't have a complete firearm.

Are they saying I should fraudulently register a build that is in fact not completed in order to make it under their 7 day limit after the decree (too late now), or am I forever barred from legally building out the lower I bought legally before her decree?

I was under the impression that the AG publicly decreed that stripped lowers ARE "assault rifles".

I'm willing to take her at her word. She's the one with a law degree.

*I* don't think a stripped lower is an "assault rifle, NOR do I think it is required to be registered, and I form my opinion based on the description codified in MA law--but if the MA AG insists otherwise, it might be prudent to heed her interpretation, and IF she stipulates that these are firearms, THEN the law requires me to register it.

IF you have no plans to move out of the state in the near term, I would strongly consider registering your lower.

Do NOT build it until the dust settles surrounding this issue.

IF you build it, it is POSSIBLE that they could charge you with manufacturing an "illegal assault weapon". Let the AG's office respond to your registration or not. Again--they MAY send you a letter requiring you to surrender it, and then you have a legally defensible position in that your stripped lower is NOT a firearm under MA law.

Either way you TRIED to comply with the law, confusing as it was--and that offers some measure of legal protection, whereas building it (un-papered) does not, and never will.

Last edited:
I'll have to check my LRB Arms based rifles.... but the lower i bought from AWS 5 years ago or so is model: ZA-15 ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forum Runner

If you want to catch their eye and are building / keeping it in NH AR-15 is exactly what you should put in.

If you want to catch their eye and are building / keeping it in NH AR-15 is exactly what you should put in.

It is my understanding that if you build and keep it in NH and never bring it to MA, you are under no obligation to do an FA-10.
If you bring the completed rifle to MA, you are supposed to FA-10 it within 7 days. FA-10's capture acquisitions and transactions in the state, not out of state.
Others, please chime in if this is not correct.

It is my understanding that if you build and keep it in NH and never bring it to MA, you are under no obligation to do an FA-10.
If you bring the completed rifle to MA, you are supposed to FA-10 it within 7 days. FA-10's capture acquisitions and transactions in the state, not out of state.

Why not FA10 and see who shows up for tea and cookies?

Why not FA10 and see who shows up for tea and cookies?

Why? when you are under no obligation to do so? That's like me building a rifle in NH, with no plans to take it from NH, and registering it in MA, NY, CA etc.
why? Not their jurisdiction. I realize you may be trying to comply with the law, but as far as I know, the law to FA-10 anything does not apply until it is in the state of MA. And now, more than ever, who knows what the law even is.

Last edited:
Does it make sense to buy an 80% lower in NH and FA10 it/build (while keeping it in NH) and see what happens?
No, it doesn't make any sense.

This! Wtf is wrong with you people?

IF you have no plans to move out of the state in the near term, I would strongly consider registering your lower. Do NOT build it until the dust settles surrounding this issue.

IF you build it, it is POSSIBLE that they could charge you with manufacturing an "illegal assault weapon". Let the AG's office respond to your registration or not. Again--they MAY send you a letter requiring you to surrender it, and then you have a legally defensible position in that your stripped lower is NOT a firearm under MA law.

Either way you TRIED to comply with the law, confusing as it was--and that offers some measure of legal protection, whereas building it (un-papered) does not and never will.
You register it now, you incriminate yourself. Either build it and shut up or don't build it, but notifying the state that you've ignored the AG's directive and built an illegal assault weapon when she clearly told you not to, isn't the brightest idea.

You register it now, you incriminate yourself. Either build it and shut up or don't build it, but notifying the state that you've ignored the AG's directive and built an illegal assault weapon when she clearly told you not to, isn't the brightest idea.

+1

Why? when you are under no obligation to do so? That's like me building a rifle in NH, with no plans to take it from NH, and registering it in MA, NY, CA etc.
why? Not their jurisdiction.

Why? Because every single one of us is wondering about the enforcement of the law. If you have a lower that you want to build and plan on keeping it in NH why not find out? 100$ lesson for all of us.

Why? Because every single one of us is wondering about the enforcement of the law. If you have a lower that you want to build and plan on keeping it in NH why not find out? 100$ lesson for all of us.

Because MA laws do not apply in NH!

Because MA laws do not apply in NH!

That is my point. You are doing nothing illegal. Simply registering your property with the state. Will they call the bluff?

I know you do not have to register it and in the future it makes sense not to, but it would allow us to find out if they will be sending cops out to enforce the law when a registration happens.

No, it doesn't make any sense.

This! Wtf is wrong with you people?

You do understand that "building it and shutting up" is illegal, and always was illegal, even without this latest publicity stunt, right?

Like I said before--if I wanted an illegal rifle I'd have an illegal rifle--and my personal preference would be a full-auto suppressed SBR firing subsonics.

But hey--that's me.

You do what you want.

That is my point. You are doing nothing illegal. Simply registering your property with the state. Will they call the bluff?

I know you do not have to register it and in the future it makes sense not to, but it would allow us to find out if they will be sending cops out to enforce the law when a registration happens.

I see your point if it is to send up a trial balloon and see what they do. It just won't be my balloon. I am certainly not going to wave a flag and bring attention my way by volunteering information to the state that is not required by them in the first place.

You are back to square one falsifying a record since the lower would only need to be FA10'd when it was assembled into a rifle IN MASSACHUSETTS within 7 days. You put yourself into a catch-22: Either you brought it into MA illegally or you falsified the record.

You are back to square one falsifying a record since the lower would only need to be FA10'd when it was assembled into a rifle IN MASSACHUSETTS within 7 days. You put yourself into a catch-22: Either you brought it into MA illegally or you falsified the record.

Very true but past experience says that nobody cares when someone registers a stripped lower and FRB is in the database business. They'd rather have more data than less, as it justifies their budget and existence. Ergo, registering a stripped lower won't (NORMALLY) result in anyone getting in trouble. Given the AG BS, that MAY have changed . . . we just don't know and can not get any definitive answer.

What's really going on here is that people are afraid to obey the law, and would prefer to be criminals, and live in constant fear.

Man up and fill out the papers.

If they decide to confiscate so be it. You have recourse under the law.

I do not see any reference about where the firearm must be when registered with the state...If you have a lower you are simply doing your duty to register it no?

You do understand that "building it and shutting up" is illegal, and always was illegal, even without this latest publicity stunt, right?

Like I said before--if I wanted an illegal rifle I'd have an illegal rifle--and my personal preference would be a full-auto suppressed SBR firing subsonics.

But hey--that's me.

You do what you want.
Then no ARs for you. At all. In any form. That's the only way to stay legal in MA. Filing an FA10 on an illegally owned/possessed rifle is downright idiotic.

Building a rifle used to be legal. Shutting up about it and not filing FA10 has always been illegal, yes. The penalty for not filing an FA10 is a fine though, while the penalty for violating the AWB is up to a dime in the gray bar motel. See the difference?

Then no ARs for you. At all. In any form. That's the only way to stay legal in MA. Filing an FA10 on an illegally owned/possessed rifle is downright idiotic.

Building a rifle used to be legal. Shutting up about it and not filing FA10 has always been illegal, yes. The penalty for not filing an FA10 is a fine though, while the penalty for violating the AWB is up to a dime in the gray bar motel. See the difference?
If it is possessed in NH you have not violated any MA law.

What's really going on here is that people are afraid to obey the law, and would prefer to be criminals, and live in constant fear.

Man up and fill out the papers.

If they decide to confiscate so be it. You have recourse under the law.
To paraphrase another poster, that is literally like going to the police station to register a kilo of cocaine.

This^^^. Healey will not send out the police. It will call her bluff and shut her up on decreased gun sales in MA. Even if the police show up, you've got nothing in MA.

I like it. We just need to consult with a lawyer and work together as the powerful gun lobby that Maura Healey says we are.

That penalty may be true for not filing an FA10, but if you're getting jammed up for that I'm assuming they are holding the rifle and that's how they knew... Which would then be an "assault weapon". Now you still get hit for violating the AWB.

That penalty may be true for not filing an FA10, but if you're getting jammed up for that I'm assuming they are holding the rifle and that's how they knew... Which would then be an "assault weapon". Now you still get hit for violating the AWB.
Yeah, that's my point lol Before last Wednesday building an AR and not filing FA10 was penalized by a fine. Today it would be ten in prison.

^^^^ This!

As I just responded in another thread, nobody has or will (NORMALLY) get in trouble for registering a stripped lower. Nobody cares, and FRB would rather have more data than less data. Given the dictator's decree, at this point, registering anything may lead to legal troubles.

Also under normal circumstances, most of us know when we buy a lower what we plan on doing with it, so one could put down a bbl length and caliber. And even though it isn't built yet, FRB wouldn't know the difference. Again, right now we are NOT under "normal circumstances", so a wait and see mode is probably the most appropriate.

Correct, NO FA-10s on guns that never enter the state, even if you are a MA inmate.

If someone wants to poke the bear and see if he bites, that seems to be the intent of the person above stating they want to build the gun and leave it in NH but FA-10 it. Could be an expensive test case from which the rest of us could learn what the bitch really intends to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom