Obama: Gun owners do not need to stock up

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1318968,obama-gun-sales-up-120808.article

December 8, 2008

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter
As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.

"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.

Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

I tend to agree(at least for his first term or at least the first 2 years). This rush is unprecedented, and I think in the next 9 months it will die down. (I hope as well since I want access to some decent firearms once I get my license)

It's not unprecedented - this same thing happened before the 1994 Clinton stupidity. The scale on this one is bigger than that one was. Obamamarxist can say whatever he wants to- he still is a gun control supporter and it wouldn't take long to get things rolling in Congress. He would be stupid to start it right off the bat but it will happen and it will be swift...

Joe R>

Obama said:
Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word.

Riiight... then why does your website say something completely different?

Change.gov said:
They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

I'm not stocking up... I'm helping the economy.

What a ditz! He just doesn't want us to help the economy!

He was a lying POS before the Presidential campaign, a lying POS during the campaign, and he's a lying POS now. The only thing that's going to keep him from going for the guns right after the inauguration is that he's got so many bigger issues to deal with, but he'll get around to it, don't kid yourselves.

Buy early, buy often.

Keep the rush going. Wether it is justified or not is something that we may never know. Voice your opinion with your gun and ammo purchases. And hopefully we will never know that it was indeed justified.

Last edited:
Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Conveniently leaving out the fact that his handwriting was on the questionnaire.

Obama said:
"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

Thats the problem here, we are taking you at your word. You say 'common-sense gun safety laws' and we understand that that tired old phrasing only means we will see more restrictions on the firearm and on the buyer. Just like the mayors of crime infested cities who trawl that tripe you are doing the same thing but likely on the national level with that same approach. We'd like to see criminals locked away not the firearms used to defend against those criminals locked away. I'm all set with being a victim, thanks for the offer though.

I believe that you believe in the Second Amendment, in fact I know from your background that you completely understand it. Its what makes you so dangerous...

We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."
Hmmmm... I thought the Brady Campaign position was that guns were not useful for protecting yourself.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1318968,obama-gun-sales-up-120808.article

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

More than enough? This guy obviously has a different definition than I do.

Well, since he has no intention of swiping our guns, he should have no problem whatsoever with us continuing to buy guns like there's no tomorrow.

How about I don't tell Obama what to worry about and he doesn't tell me what to worry about?

They're my dollars.

Absolutely!

However, I believe he was forced to make some sort of comment because of all the press regarding the buying frenzy. He wants to lull us into thinking everything will be OK.

No thanks Hussein. I'm drinking your Kool-Aid.

I was hunting around for a Safety Class to get my brother into (Christmas gift). Classes for LTC are filling up fast and newbies are buying along with people who already own guns. The Brady Campaign is trying to avoid recognizing expanding interest in firearms ownership.

Also, it is lawful gun owners who are buying in a frenzy. Buying LAWFULLY. No need to ask them to stop a legal activity.

He was a lying POS before the Presidential campaign, a lying POS during the campaign, and he's a lying POS now.
I know it's a tired old joke, but it's still true: How can you tell when a politician is lying? His lips are moving. [thinking]

I was hunting around for a Safety Class to get my brother into (Christmas gift). Classes for LTC are filling up fast and newbies are buying along with people who already own guns.
A local instructor ran a class for some of the Brothers in my Lodge (and families & friends). We had NO trouble getting the minimum 8 he wanted... and 5 more, including two walkins. And I STILL have people asking for another one.

We're thinking of doing it the weekend after the Inauguration and calling it the Inaugural Class.

I think it's also past time I got my own NRA instructor's creds.

Stock up on "clean guns". No paperwork trail to you. And lots of ammo. Jack.

Great advice to those bitter Americans who cling to their guns.

Fortunately, I saw the light and got rid of all my guns, unlike the rest of you neanderthals.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go see what time Oprah is on.

Fortunately, I saw the light and got rid of all my guns, unlike the rest of you neanderthals.

I saw the light too, and was going to get rid of my guns, and then I lost them all in an unfortunate boating accident....

What a shame, eh?

I too would like to know, why, if Obama "supports" 2A, he has such a problem with lawful gun owners legally buying guns and ammo, helping out our faltering economy?

I saw the light too, and was going to get rid of my guns, and then I lost them all in an unfortunate boating accident....

What a shame, eh?

I too would like to know, why, if Obama "supports" 2A, he has such a problem with lawful gun owners legally buying guns and ammo, helping out our faltering economy?

makes it harder to control us, if you were a dictator would you want all of your soon to be subjects buying up tools to fight back?

Keep the rush going. Wether it is justified or not is something that we may never know. Voice your opinion with your gun and ammo purchases. And hopefully we will never know that it was indeed justified.

Yep, that is a strong message, We the people WANT to cling to our guns. The size of this rush is sending a message to him.

makes it harder to control us, if you were a dictator would you want all of your soon to be subjects buying up tools to fight back?

Oh, I know. Which proves the point. If he did indeed support 2A and all other personal freedoms, he'd have no problem with the current situation.

Seeing as he DOES, however, have a problem with it.....

Tough to do in MA.

Really...what would stop anyone from making up fake FA-10s and sending them in. I don't mean fake like the forms, but make up names and LTC numbers.

Then when you hide all your guns, you can say that you sold them to this guy...and show them a FA-10. ALl you have to say was that you saw his license and filled out the form. You don't have to call in background check...so how would I know that the license wasn't real?

Back
Top Bottom