Now I understand Mosin Love

CoastieRon

NES Member
I never understood all the Mosin love on this site, but now I do. Holy crap what a fun and accurate rifle for lead therapy.

IMG_20181111_141717.jpg
My brother in law brought the top 3 rifles, I brought the bottom. Had more fun with the beat up commie rifles than my AR, and now I want one.

Here are my 50 yard practice shots before we moved to 100

IMG_20181111_150002.jpg

So now I'm hunting for a Mosin to play with.

If you ever get some of the surplus corrosive ammo, for the love of god clean it right after. Left mine in the safe after I was done for a few days and there was a thin layer of rust already forming.

If you ever get some of the surplus corrosive ammo, for the love of god clean it right after. Left mine in the safe after I was done for a few days and there was a thin layer of rust already forming.

Good advice^. I've got a spam can of corrosive ammo that was a throw-in with the rifle and I have no plans to turn that key! I heard the soldiers would piss down the barrels of them to help keep them from rusting the ammo was so bad

Nice! Yeah, they are a lot of fun. I've bought and sold some, only to buy another- moth to the flame. Currently I'm down to a Finn M39 and a PU Sniper.

Hornady 150 grain ammo is very accurate in Mosins. PPU in various configurations is not bad either. As others have said, clean immediately when shooting corrosive milsurp ammo.

When you get one, some cheap and easy accuracy mods could make a 3+ MOA plinker a 1 MOA shooter, give or take.

I never understood all the Mosin love on this site, but now I do. Holy crap what a fun and accurate rifle for lead therapy.

View attachment 253864
My brother in law brought the top 3 rifles, I brought the bottom. Had more fun with the beat up commie rifles than my AR, and now I want one.

View attachment 253865

Very nice. Shooting surplus ammo?

Nice! Yeah, they are a lot of fun. I've bought and sold some, only to buy another- moth to the flame. Currently I'm down to a Finn M39 and a PU Sniper.

Hornady 150 grain ammo is very accurate in Mosins. PPU in various configurations is not bad either. As others have said, clean immediately when shooting corrosive milsurp ammo.

When you get one, some cheap and easy accuracy mods could make a 3+ MOA plinker a 1 MOA shooter, give or take.
I’m done to a M44. Used to have a 91/30 but sold it. Haven’t shot the M44 in probably 3+ years. Still got a couple cans of surplus ammo.

I could never get decent accuracy with mine. But I never tinkered with it too much.

My first centerfire rifle purchase was 1943 91/30 made in Izhevsk. It's not my most accurate or most fun, but it'll always have a place. Very easy to clean if shooting surplus, just dump a bottle of water in the necessary spots, then dry and oil.

These days I reload PPU brass for it, as I found the steel case stuff was not accurate.

For $165, it has been a great purchase.

There’s nothing wrong with the Russian surplus ammo. It’s what these rifles were made to fire. It just needs to be cleaned a bit differently than a more modern ammo/rifle combo. The corrosive salts in the ammo are water soluable. This is why they cause rust- they attract water from the atmosphere if left on the steel of your firearm.

Many things will work. Lots of guys use windex. I use it and it works well. Plain old hot soapy water works fine too.

Most modern bore solvents are oil based and won’t dissolve the salts.

Once you’ve swabbed your bore out with windex or soapy water or whatever other suitable concoction you clean it normally.

The surplus ammo is cheap, it goes bang and it’s reasonably accurate.

There’s nothing wrong with the Russian surplus ammo. It’s what these rifles were made to fire. It just needs to be cleaned a bit differently than a more modern ammo/rifle combo. The corrosive salts in the ammo are water soluable. This is why they cause rust- they attract water from the atmosphere if left on the steel of your firearm.

Many things will work. Lots of guys use windex. I use it and it works well. Plain old hot soapy water works fine too.

Once you’ve swabbed your bore out with windex or soapy water or whatever other suitable concoction you clean it normally.

Yup. I save my surplus for certain situations, like the car shoots up at Monadnock. No need to worry about saving the cases, can get plenty of shooting in, and then just wash it down with water and dry with paper towels, done and dusted.

My reloads are equal to or cheaper than surplus when I usually see it in stores, so the surplus usually stays in the ammo can for a rainy day.

I prefer my Ishapore over my mosin when I want to get my mil surp on. And of coarse the old Mausers are a thing of beauty.

Sure if you reload that’s a viable option. Frankly I wouldn’t waste money on brass case 7.62x54r unless I planned to reload it.

Yup. I save my surplus for certain situations, like the car shoots up at Monadnock. No need to worry about saving the cases, can get plenty of shooting in, and then just wash it down with water and dry with paper towels, done and dusted.

My reloads are equal to or cheaper than surplus when I usually see it in stores, so the surplus usually stays in the ammo can for a rainy day.

Do it like the soviet

View attachment 253864

View attachment 253865

If it was good enough for Simo, it's good enough for you
a2m98n1_700b.jpg

Mosin 91/30 was my first gun, 1939 Tula manufacture. I haven’t shot it in 2 years I don’t think, but I’ll never get rid of it. If I ever decided to hunt bear during the rifle season I think it would do an alright job. The weight would b a pain in the ass though.

I love the rifle, but I think I would rather the carbine length. Is there a trade off in accuracy? I know there's a bunch of Mosin buffs here that have one of each......

it's good enough for agnes hailstone!

Agnes%20Hailstone.jpg

I love my M44 but never shoot my 91/30. Sold all of the ones off I had except for the 1 91/30 and the M44. Definitely fun to shoot but the M44 seems to mostly make range trips when I take new shooters. I love how many people on this site talk about how bad the recoil is, maybe they only shoot AR's.

I love my M44 but never shoot my 91/30. Sold all of the ones off I had except for the 1 91/30 and the M44. Definitely fun to shoot but the M44 seems to mostly make range trips when I take new shooters. I love how many people on this site talk about how bad the recoil is, maybe they only shoot AR's.
I didn't find the recoil to be too awful. It certainly let me know it went bang though. I found it to be quite enjoyable.

My brother in law is all about long shooting, and he is my range buddy, so his Mosin ALWAYS goes to the range. It's his go-to rifle (and he has his beat to shit SKS and his AR) for the range. I can see why. I would like to hang with him with the same type of rifle.

I find the recoil worse on about half of my rifles. I 3" mag turkey load out of the 12 gauge kicks a whole lot more than a mosin :) They are fun though, that's for sure.

M44 is plenty accurate. Typically they are more accurate with the bayonet extended, FYI.

Check out the Finn M39 Mosin.

View attachment 253864

View attachment 253865

Once you handle a M39 Mosin, the rest will not have the same appeal.I even have several K98s, but none have the hefty feeling of my 1968 M39.The barrel on the Finnish rifles it's a beautiful thing.

Back
Top Bottom