• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nipmuc R&G all alcohol license

Great news. I’ve been a member at several clubs and a guest at many more with bars.
I was a member at Harvard and the policy was enacted due to a guest issue and not members. That came direct to my ears from Dan.

Never. Not once was there a problem on any range at any time.

Do I detect some sarcasm in that "great idea"?

I am a member of two different clubs in central Mass and both serve booze. One during meetings, special events, or rentals if requested; and the other has open bar on weekends. Using the range during or after drinking is strictly forbidden. I've never witnessed nor heard of any violations at either club. One club is 90 years old and the other ~70 years old. I'm a board member at the 90 year old club. At this club, typically the bar is open at meetings which are well after range hours anyway. That might be a means to keep the situation under control if your membership has a concern.

NRG is going for all alcohol license at the club.....great idea, firearms and booze.................
Shoot first then hit the bar......just like they'd do at any other range if the bar was down the road.

This is actually a renewal, switched to day licenses during COVID due to being closed, now simply going back for the full license. NRG has had their license forever. There is a massive rental hall upstairs where a lot of revenue is generated for the club with that license.

NRG is going for all alcohol license at the club.....great idea, firearms and booze.................
Doc, it sounds like you are familiar with the local social drinking clubs that happen to have a Rod and Gun/Range attached. I was a member of one for two years. Never again with the intention of going there to shoot.

One of the memorable events I have been to was a Crawfish Boil, raffle, Meet and Greet at a club with a liquor license. Nice facilities and Great NES People. [cheers] 🦞🌽

This is a great idea, this will probably raise more money then any other stupid MA Fudd range fundraiser would. Good for them.

It's generally a good idea as long as the people who run the bar don't turn into Nazis and start controlling club access based on social functions sucking up daytime range access. A friend of mine was a member at royalston and he got sick of all that b******* years ago because every other time he would go there on a weekend to shoot rifle/pistol some a****** was having a kid's birthday party or something and they didn't allow him to use the range "becuz of da noise" etc.

Alcohol licenses at a club can be a mixed financial bag. You need enough volume to cover the fixed overhead such as the liquor liability policy; A/C or Heat if the clubhouse would otherwise be unoccupied during the hours alcohol is served; workmen's compensation insurance and tax withholding (skip the tax part and they employee has power when caught to threaten you with the DOR if you get the police involved). Then there is inventory management, tracking changes in inventory against register totals and total cash received; etc.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings since it's hard to separate booze and the range's purpose.
I recall being an instructor at a club that had an open bar while a handgun training class was going on in an adjacent room. When an instructor asked if the bar could quiet down, a BOD member sitting at the bar yelled at him "we don't need you". The training program eventually went to another club. Rob knows the initial club.
Also while a member of that clubs .22 bullseye team and league of that club we traveled to other clubs in the league. At one match a shooter from the home team withdrew from the firing line during slow fire. He was drunk and weaving so much he couldn't hold his gun steady enough to aim.
My feelings are that it's a fine line clubs may have a hard time with.

If they get a "club license" you can not serve to the public

Guests must sign in and be in the presence of a member

Some places get around that easily by selling a single day membership for a few bucks.

It is getting to be that time of year when the MSP will be pulling up to yacht clubs, tying up and going in for a drink.

If it is a club license, and they get served, then they end up in the MA Beverage Journal's enforcement news section and they get slapped a hefty fine by the ABCC

The other can of worms is the ABCC can send their MSP enforcers in at any time... and God forbid you have a football pool going or some type of friendly wager going on, then they nail you for allowing an illegality on the premises

The only way we were able to keep our social club open during Covid was we had a food license, and we made people buy a hot dog when they ordered a drink.

This is a great idea, this will probably raise more money then any other stupid MA Fudd range fundraiser would. Good for them.
My understanding is that for some clubs while the revenue did increase significantly, it didn’t necessarily cover all the added costs. There is also the increased temptation of all the cash sales. At one club I used to belong to, there was significant tension between the shooters and the drinkers.

My local club closed their bar twenty years ago. That was the last time I set foot there.
I used to look forward to a day of shooting followed by a few drinks and a burger.
Nowadays the membership consists of bunch of geriatic trap shooters who shoot a few rounds and then hold a chamomile tea circle jerk in what used to be the bar.

It opens up the potential for problems, but then again - how do you police BYOB?

And depending on the club and the range, I've been swept plenty of times at ranges without bars.

There are times, when it would be nice to shoot, and then sit around smoking a cigar and having a drink with friends after guns are safely stored away. But I trust the people I know.

And that is basically the problem... you just can't trust large groups of people. Groups always get dumbed down to the lowest level.

Great news. I’ve been a member at several clubs and a guest at many more with bars.
I was a member at Harvard and the policy was enacted due to a guest issue and not members. That came direct to my ears from Dan.

Never. Not once was there a problem on any range at any time.
Never seen a problem with alcohol and the range at clubs with bars. The problem I've seen at 2 clubs I used to belong to with bars is the drama that goes with cheep beer.......shit gets ugly on a Saturday afternoon in there.

Wrentham has it. Honestly, IMHO, it's the worst part of the club. Has caused more issues over the years... from unruly guests of members to members having one too many.. typical shit that goes with a bar. Sure, it brings in money... about $2K/month. who knows if it covers cost of heat/utilities/insurance, etc.. only the select few know..

If I had to vote For or Against having a liquor license at a R&G or Sportsmens club, I would vote NO.

Wrentham has it. Honestly, IMHO, it's the worst part of the club. Has caused more issues over the years... from unruly guests of members to members having one too many.. typical shit that goes with a bar. Sure, it brings in money... about $2K/month. who knows if it covers cost of heat/utilities/insurance, etc.. only the select few know..

If I had to vote For or Against having a liquor license at a R&G or Sportsmens club, I would vote NO.
I don’t see how $24k per year could cover the cost of a bartender.

Back
Top Bottom