NICS and how they treat medical marijuana users .... beware !!!

Ok, edibles. I think I covered that since it's not smoked. Can the State deny someone an authentic prescription for a drug taken in a traditional method by threatening to terminate their rights in other areas? I have a hard time with that.

Well, not yet. I just called Medicare and was told that not until 2018 can people request random Medicare numbers instead of SSN. So plenty of time for identity thieves to ply their trade with a 3 year lead time. [angry]

Little more off topic:
Not just "ID Theft" in the true sense of the word.
If you have someones Medicare number, and you are a fraudulent medical business, you can bill Medicare for services that you don't perform, and some overbill.
I'm in a buisness where I could bill Medicaid and Medicare, on an hourly basis, but the rate is so low, after I pay my employee, I'm losing money, the way around it is to overbill for hours.
The gov't is horrible at chasing down fraud like this, when they do catch it, SHTF.
MA (which doles out Medicaid $$ under Masshealth) closed down a bunch of skilled nursing business last year for overbilling.
That's why a hammer cost's the military $300.

edit: I don't take medicaid/care because of the hoops I need to jump thru to get qualified.

ON TOPIC:
My friend was able to renew his LTC-A no restrictions even though he has a med mj card.
I told him to go try to buy a new gun and see if his bg check comes thru.
Waiting to hear.

Last edited:
Ok, edibles. I think I covered that since it's not smoked. Can the State deny someone an authentic prescription for a drug taken in a traditional method by threatening to terminate their rights in other areas? I have a hard time with that.

Read these:

C. 269 § 10H Carrying a Firearm While Under the Influence
Whoever, having in effect a license to carry firearms issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140, carries on his person, or has under his control in a vehicle, a loaded firearm, as defined in section 121 of said chapter 140, while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants or stimulant substances, all as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C, or the vapors of glue shall be punished by a fine of not more than $5,000 or by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than two and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

C. 131 § 62 Hunting or Target Shooting Under the Influence
A person, while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of drugs shall not hunt or carry a firearm, bow and arrow or other weapon while engaged in hunting or target shooting.

131-62 was explained to me as INCLUDING legal drugs taken for medical conditions if marked "caution operating machinery" on them. Lots of medical conditions cause people to be prescribed (Rx) such drugs that cause drowsiness, etc.

Little more off topic:
Not just "ID Theft" in the true sense of the word.
If you have someones Medicare number, and you are a fraudulent medical business, you can bill Medicare for services that you don't perform, and some overbill.
I'm in a buisness where I could bill Medicaid and Medicare, on an hourly basis, but the rate is so low, after I pay my employee, I'm losing money, the way around it is to overbill for hours.
The gov't is horrible at chasing down fraud like this, when they do catch it, SHTF.
MA (which doles out Medicaid $$ under Masshealth) closed down a bunch of skilled nursing business last year for overbilling.

edit: I don't take medicaid/care because of the hoops I need to jump thru to get qualified.

ON TOPIC:
My friend was able to renew his LTC-A no restrictions even though he has a med mj card.
I told him to go try to buy a new gun and see if his bg check comes thru.
Waiting to hear.

A Medicare bill came thru for a doctor's appointment the day after my Father died. I called Medicare and they told me to document everything and write a letter, etc. I definitely had more important things to do, so I just let it go. It likely was a mistake on the date, but it tells you that even if you report a problem they make it a ton of work before they would even look at it. Social Security was well aware of his death and thus could be used to document that fact. Nope.

It may also have to do something to do with excessive bid paperwork (so the corner hardware store can't bid); requirements on the business doing the selling; traceability of the steel in the hammer head to the initial site survey for the mine that produced the ore; etc.

What about holders of CDL drivers licenses that are subject to random drug testing, is a failure reported to NICS, thus causing a purchase denial for a year ???

No, I'm not concerned about this for myself, but there are literally millions of CDL holders out there, and I'm sure more than a few of them are gun owners, and it's likely that some even smoke weed under extreme social pressure.
It's more than just CDL drivers. Any employee that has random drug testing would most likely lose their job if they tested positive for weed not matter what the state law is. The issue could become very hot very quick if labs are directed to report positive tests to the justice dept.

It may also have to do something to do with excessive bid paperwork (so the corner hardware store can't bid); requirements on the business doing the selling; traceability of the steel in the hammer head to the initial site survey for the mine that produced the ore; etc.

Yup, when I worked at GD/EB, a boat (submarine) came in for overhaul and they had broken a knob on an MC (radio). It was a common knob . . . exact same one (Mil-Spec, same mfr and P/N) sold for $0.50 at a local radio/TV store on the main shopping strip in Groton, CT. Nope, since the MC was in a nuclear compartment, we had to order it with all the paperwork proof of the materials it was made from. That knob cost the taxpayers >$50.00 to buy it properly which is what I had to do.

The FAA will revoke pilot's licenses based on medical unfitness.

The root of the issue is that the federal government, with one exception, does not recognize prescriptions for MJ as being authentic, regardless of intake method.

It's more than just CDL drivers. Any employee that has random drug testing would most likely lose their job if they tested positive for weed not matter what the state law is. The issue could become very hot very quick if labs are directed to report positive tests to the justice dept.
The issue would become very hot very quick if labs start to report positive tests to the DOJ!

My prior employer went from publicly held to private, and one of the early actions by the new owner was to rewrite the drug policy and stop pre-employment and random drug screenings except for workers (e.g. CDL) where it was required by law.

My prior employer went from publicly held to private, and one of the early actions by the new owner was to rewrite the drug policy and stop pre-employment and random drug screenings except for workers (e.g. CDL) where it was required by law.
Cygnus software has an interesting drug testing policy .... "Drug testing is not one of our employee benefits. If employees want their drugs tested, they have to arrange it on their own."

Cygnus software has an interesting drug testing policy .... "Drug testing is not one of our employee benefits. If employees want their drugs tested, they have to arrange it on their own."

Comany I worked for: we do not pry into to private lives of our employees.
CEO was a major stoner

Honestly, if this is the same Cygnus as I am thinking about, it probably requires a lot of drugs to port POSIX to the Windows platform

Comany I worked for: we do not pry into to private lives of our employees.
CEO was a major stoner
Same here, slightly different wording:

Rule #1: Use your best judgment.
Rule #2: See Rule 1
. . .
If you use or abuse alcohol or drugs and fail to perform the duties required by your job acceptably, you are likely to be terminated. See Rule 1. Coming to work drunk is bad judgment.

If you do not use or abuse alcohol or drugs and fail to perform the duties required by your job acceptably, you are likely to be terminated.

If government rules and regulations say that drug testing is a condition of holding your job, we are obliged to follow the law and your manager/supervisor will provide you with details.

Same here, slightly different wording:
Rule #1: Use your best judgment.
Rule #2: See Rule 1
. . .
If you use or abuse alcohol or drugs and fail to perform the duties required by your job acceptably, you are likely to be terminated. See Rule 1. Coming to work drunk is bad judgment.

If you do not use or abuse alcohol or drugs and fail to perform the duties required by your job acceptably, you are likely to be terminated.

If government rules and regulations say that drug testing is a condition of holding your job, we are obliged to follow the law and your manager/supervisor will provide you with details.
Depends who you are. Detective Francis "Carl" Rogers of the Haverhill Police Department was arrested a few years ago for DUI after ramming his pickup truck into a North Reading police cruiser. He was arrested in Haverhill by his own colleagues last month for a second DUI after leaving the Yacht Club drunk and smashing into three cars. He was placed on PAID administrative leave and lost his drivers license. The rest of us would be jailed and terminated immediately once word got back to the bosses in the private sector.

I was doing some research on the data that the NICS system uses to deny a person ... thought you Mass people may find this interesting now that you have some new "freedoms" in your state.

Note:This info was taken from a power point presentation on data in the NICS database.... and it is applicable to ALL states!

That document is dated Nov 2016 and is a wishlist, not current policy.
A few slides below the one you quoted is one showing how 26 states provide no info re: mmj users.
Still nonsense but they are fighting an uphill battle getting the states, who they rely on for keeping database updated, to play along.

Here's the link the PP for all interested: www.najis.org/2016.../%5BSession%206%5D_NICS_101_with_FBI_revisions.pptx

Back
Top Bottom