• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nick's Montana gun shops picture thread

DickWanner

Banned
First off, this thread is for my entertainment since I'm bored as hell and not for you so I don't care if you like it or not. With that said my first stop was tonight at the Cabela's here. I've never been to a Cabela's, Bass Pro, or KTP so this was my first 'Walmart Gun Store' experience.

The gun section was pretty damn big, has several cases just for glass.

Cabelas1.jpg

And yes that man is wearing overalls...

They had an entire shelf of Kimbers, among other non-MA guns like XDs/XDMs and such.

Cabelas2.jpg

Cabelas3.jpg

They had an M&P 15-22 pistol which I thought was really cool. I wonder how much it weighs and if the front rails count as a "barrel shroud".

Cabelas4.jpg

They had 3 and a half aisles of ammo, everything and anything too

Cabelas5.jpg

I found some Hungarian ammo with MFS on the front and I was amused seeing as I teach for the Mass Firearms School

Cabelas6.jpg

I'm going to try and find some mom and pop's, but it looks like the majority of the non-'walmart gun stores' are all pawn shops.

Last edited:

Thanks for that, I got a good chuckle out of that thread [grin]

Upon further inspection, one could hack off the rails/handguard below the top rail and make it under 50oz and not have a "barrel shroud". You would just have to worry about the flash hider and getting one into the state. Seems like a lot of work for a little .22 and in the end it'd be mutilated. Though the AOW route seemed interesting as you could then put a foward grip on it...

Last edited:
Looking forward to the photos of mom and pop stores. Whenever I'm in a free state, especially outside of the Northeast, I search those out. It's eye opening and you meet some fascinating characters in the process!

[crying]

I'm trying to think of all the money I'm saving by not being allowed to buy all the goodies a free stater can.

[crying][crying]

It's not working.

Quite impressive. Lots of guns and ammo in stock. The place seemed rather devoid of customers though.

I showed up with an hour and a half left to close and they did at least two transactions in that time and there was at least four or five other sets of customers besides me. I stuck around to the end so I could talk to the manager and get him to give me a discount on several bricks of CCI Large Pistol Primers that we desperately need for P J Ammo Corp. [devil]

I actually open carried into town today, my Glock 20T with the stainless slide in a Don Hume leather holster. Not a single funny look either.

This is the only place other than Walmart that sells guns in Laurel.

FNPawnL1.jpg

It had a small corner for the guns.

FNPawnL2.jpg

Only 5 pistols in the case.

FNPawnL3.jpg

There was a decent selection actually for the limited amount they had. A Taurus 92 clone, a Glock 19 for $465, a Ruger P90. They had a bunch of big bore rifles in 30-06 an 300WM/300WSM and a 91/30 with a synthetic stock which I now want for my 91/30 that I'm chopping. They had the standard shotgun fair with a couple of cheap 12GAs. They had typical pawn store prices, but it's nice to have a place to buy used other than Walmart.

I had taken a road trip out to Indiana and stopped in a few stores along the way. The selection in the gun stores in free states compared to Mass definitely brings a tear to your eye.

Did they have 20K Large Pistol Primers they would sell to me at $30/brick? [smile]

And I made the mistake of compiling a list of all the shops in Billings, 2 down and 21 to go haha.

Not sure but I spent some serious cash in the CT Cabelas. EBR goodies, mags, ammo, reloading conponents, and just about anything you could want is there. Looked just like the Dick's Montana store you showed pics of.

You'll see real gems in places like Big 5 and pawn shops. Bring me back a nice Izzy SKS eh.[wink]

Not sure but I spent some serious cash in the CT Cabelas. EBR goodies, mags, ammo, reloading conponents, and just about anything you could want is there. Looked just like the Dick's Montana store you showed pics of.

You'll see real gems in places like Big 5 and pawn shops. Bring me back a nice Izzy SKS eh.[wink]

If I find one I'll let you know. Maybe I'll start doing a gun shop road tour when I get back home to MA. The only shop I ever go to anymore is my own [rofl]

Big Bear Sports Center in Billings

I stopped by a place called Big Bear Sports Center Saturday. It was very similar to Cabela's, but even more oriented towards hunting (if that's possible).

BBSC01.jpg

Right when you walk in the door you're greeted by various gun safes, I don't remember seeing any safes at Cabela's.

BBSC02.jpg

BBSC03.jpg

They had an entire aisle just for shotgun shells and a wide variety of all types.

BBSC04.jpg

BBSC05.jpg

The gun counter was in an L-shape and pretty close to the same size as the one in Cabela's

BBSC06.jpg

BBSC07.jpg

They didn't have as much reloading supplies as Cabela's, but there was still a huge amount. Hell, they even sell reloading supplies at the Walmarts out here.

BBSC08.jpg

BBSC09.jpg

They actually stocked the infamous Hi-Points and I just had to have the guy pull one out so I could say I held one.

BBSC10.jpg

It looks like something for a video game and felt like I was holding a brick. The clerk said they sell a ton of them and that from what he hears they're pretty reliable. The trigger pull actually wasn't that bad at all, though it had literally no trigger reset. For $159 if I lived out here it would definitely be my truck gun.

They also had a bunch of Derringer clones in .22, 9mm, and .38. No .357s

BBSC11.jpg

They also had every make and model of XDs

BBSC12.jpg

They had a GSG-5 pistol that was even cooler than the M&P15-22 pistol. Weighed much more than the Smith though.

BBSC15.jpg

They also had .22lr AR-15 conversion kits for only $170

BBSC16.jpg

And I couldn't believe that they actually stocked AR-15 .410 uppers!!

BBSC13.jpg

AR-15s in Camo and Evil Black

BBSC14.jpg

My personal favorite picture from this store had to be the one of the Musk Ox having a bad day [laugh]

BBSC18.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics, sir. I've really enjoyed reading through your pics and posts so far.
I've been to Cabela's in PA and CT and they both had safes but really there was
so much more to look at besides those [wink].

I think we should keep track of how many people decide to jump ship on MA
because of these photos. [smile]

Great pictures...thanks for showing us how good things can be on the outside. FYI. Cabela's in ME has quite a few safes on display but not that close to the door [wink].

Hell, they even sell reloading supplies at the Walmarts out here.

[shocked] The WalMarts down here don't have that. Heck, in the past 2-3 weeks I've actually begun seeing ammo in stock at WalMart again, for the first time since the "year of panic" began.

It looks like something for a video game and felt like I was holding a brick. The clerk said they sell a ton of them and that from what he hears they're pretty reliable. The trigger pull actually wasn't that bad at all, though it had literally no trigger reset. For $159 if I lived out here it would definitely be my truck gun.

None of the local dealers can keep them in stock. Several times when I've been out & about in gunshops down here I've seen a lot of honest regular people who just want something simple for home defense or the car buying them.

Massachusetts: legislating the poor out of self defense since 10-21-1998.

Back
Top Bottom