NH FFL Went Out Of Business, Ducking Me To Return My Consignment Pistol. Recourse?

I had stuff on consignment at an antique shop in Rockland Maine 25 years ago. Ebay was still in its infancy. They were listing my shit on ebay and selling it for WAY more than I was pricing it at. They would pay me my price if it sold and keep the difference. One day, I noticed some things were missing. Got the whole, "we're not responsible for theft" bit (they're not, I signed the contract). I notice on ebay the three items in question had been sold. The seller was them. I said, "so, three items are missing, you sold them, I didn't get paid". "Oh, the buyer wrote us a bad check, so technically they are stolen so GFYS." Um... No.... so, I sent them a letter through our family's attorney to cease and desist such activity without my prior consent or revise my contract and compensate me for 50% of net gains. They kept doing it and backdating the purchases in my account. I tend to not shit where I eat, so I let it go since nothing else went missing after that. 2 months later, I put a rather heavy item on the glass shelf that was mine (3rd up in the case), but said item was stable on a similar glass shelf at home. They were using these little flimsy plastic catches with These little dainty #4 wood screws. Well out they came and down went the shelf, and the 40 or so pounds of shit on it. I sustained $50 worth of damage to my stuff, they lost $20 worth of glass, and the guy below me lost $400 worth of inventory. They came to me to discuss "damages". I said they are liable since it was their equipment that failed. They said they could sue me for negligence. I said, "How about I call the state's AG office and have a discussion about your ebay practices". That was the end of that. I informed them that by listing the item, the shop took the item into their personal custody without compensating me, and without my consent, and that constitutes theft. They kicked me out of the shop and never went after me for 'damages'. Years later I found out the guy that lost the $400 worth of stuff sued them in small claims court and won. He got almost $2k including legal fees since he was able to prove the shoddy craftsmanship of the cases was outside the scope of the waiver. The judge agreed. They never paid him until threatened with contempt.
Dude, f*** those guys. I would have grabbed as many guns as I could and ran. Then showed up at their houses at 3am to discuss.

It’s your own fault for letting that type of NBS fly.

Grahams kill house, brah. The rules. Do you know rule No. 4???

View attachment 819678

Update: He came to my house a few minutes ago and handed me the $500 he claims he got selling it. He apologized for putting me through all the back and forth.
You made out most kahrs used sell for around 350

In 40 smith and gay less

Something fishy definitely happened if you feel like being spiteful and reporting him anyways

In 40 smith and gay less

Something fishy definitely happened if you feel like being spiteful and reporting him anyways
Eh, I'd just never do business with the guy again, I wouldn't suggest reporting the guy, not the OP's problem but the guy probably is jammed up financially or whatever but he made good so I'd let it go, I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't hurting for the money so outside of the hassle he got paid, I'd just leave it be.

Ofcourse it's ultimately up to the OP

Eh, I'd just never do business with the guy again, I wouldn't suggest reporting the guy, not the OP's problem but the guy probably is jammed up financially or whatever but he made good so I'd let it go, I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't hurting for the money so outside of the hassle he got paid, I'd just leave it be.

Ofcourse it's ultimately up to the OP
I don’t want to jam him up or for him to get jammed up. I agree he’s struggling financially but I still think he’s a good guy. I hope he gets his shit together. Really do. I hope the other folks he’s screwed over get restitution too.

In 40 smith and gay less

There's no reason to do that. FFL fugged up, played the delay game until he couldn't and probably had to take out a high interest loan from some wise guys to pay back the OP.

There's no reason to do that. FFL fugged up, played the delay game until he couldn't and probably had to take out a high interest loan from some wise guys to pay back the OP.
Yeah idk lol just saying if he felt like still being a dick he could

I don’t want to jam him up or for him to get jammed up. I agree he’s struggling financially but I still think he’s a good guy. I hope he gets his shit together. Really do. I hope the other folks he’s screwed over get restitution too.
Hey happy ending but he said he still had the pistol only to find a few loud days later it’s sold so here’s the cash?

I was a regular until he bought the store from Jeff. Between the empty promises and clientele attracted I never went back. Every time I drove by I’d be like “Wow he’s still there..?”

Hey happy ending but he said he still had the pistol only to find a few loud days later it’s sold so here’s the cash?

I was a regular until he bought the store from Jeff. Between the empty promises and clientele attracted I never went back. Every time I drove by I’d be like “Wow he’s still there..?”
ya so hes a fkin liar.. hang em by the balls. People that f*** honest people over, string em along for months should be taught a fkin lesson.

I'm glad to hear everything worked out. A modern day Thanksgiving miracle!

I get not wanting to jam him up, especially since your ordeal is over. But he sure doesn't sound like a "good guy".

I'm glad to hear everything worked out. A modern day Thanksgiving miracle!

I get not wanting to jam him up, especially since your ordeal is over. But he sure doesn't sound like a "good guy".
He’s just terrible at running a business. He should not spend customers‘ money before the customers get their product. His shop was super weird. He had the most random inventory. From $600 Anderson ARs to a case full of like new Colt Pythons. I bought a 1993 Benelli M1 Super 90 imported by HK there, unfired in the box. Every other time in there, he had something really special (to me anyway). It was a hole in the wall shop with unique consignment guns. I think his problem was that he didn’t market, didn’t order new inventory and relied on his existing customers consignment guns then things got bad financially. He ordered me a new HK MR556 that he gave me at dealer cost. Took him almost a year to get it for me but he got it. When he started asking for money up front for orders, and then orders he said he’d get in 3-4 weeks started taking 3+ months, I started going elsewhere. Other folks I knew there too were pissed that guns he ordered he could never get, and he always had a bunch of excuses - problems with his distributor (really? RSR? Bullshit) problems with FedEx and UPS, from drivers being overworked/understaffed due to COVID, or the FedEx girl being a huge liberal who is anti-gun that wouldn’t deliver, etc, etc, etc. I heard it all.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that 40 can take a moose. That’s about all I can say in public, other than not me.

The daughter of a friend of mine took a moose with a slug from a 410 when she was 11 or 12. He was there to back her up, of course, but that is the gun that she was familiar with and grew up using, she managed (I am sure some luck was involved) to put the slug between a couple ribs into the lungs and that was it.

The daughter of a friend of mine took a moose with a slug from a 410 when she was 11 or 12. He was there to back her up, of course, but that is the gun that she was familiar with and grew up using, she managed (I am sure some luck was involved) to put the slug between a couple ribs into the lungs and that was it.
A slug from a 410 is still a slug!!

As the title states, an FFL I’ve worked with a long time has gone out of business. His FFL expired in October and he has been ducking me about getting my consignment pistol back. His NH business license is also not in good standing/rejected. He claims to still have the pistol but keeps breaking plans and giving me bullshit excuses why he is unable to meet me to return it. Should I simply go to the police and report the firearm stolen? Or is this going to be small claims court?
How did this turn out? I am in the same situation but with a Ops Core Helmet.

Back
Top Bottom