NH FFL Went Out Of Business, Ducking Me To Return My Consignment Pistol. Recourse?

What did he say in response? Was he like, chill, man, no reason to get crazy or was he like, yeah, I'll get it to you Wednesday. If it was the latter it's likely your gun is long gone.

What did he say in response? Was he like, chill, man, no reason to get crazy or was he like, yeah, I'll get it to you Wednesday. If it was the latter it's likely your gun is long gone.
He was apologetic, he said he knows he’s been screwing up. His life is falling apart, etc, etc.

He has some disturbing Google reviews. For whatever that is worth.

Those reviews are very much inline with his behavior towards OP. The stories and excuses, shenanigans/antics, and the unprofessional conduct.

@Tartakovsky If I were you I would give him this one more chance and if that blows up in your face again elevate this thing.

Edit: I see that's what you've decided. Good, this guy needs to get a reality check.

The only time something like this happened to me, not gun related, I got screwed out of the $. It was bullshit after bullshit check will be in the mail Monday for an entire year. Then nothing

Yep. I hate to say it, but there are endless examples of people exactly like this. They have no intention of making things right. They will absolutely rip you off. They have no personal responsibility, and endless excuses. These are the type of people who will justify stealing from people because they need the money because they are broke because they aren't capable of making good decisions in the first place.

If he even still has your gun, maybe you get it back eventually. Otherwise, best case, he gets arrested and pulls the same excuses in the system and you never see any restitution.

That makes it even easier: it’s a private transfer, no 4473 or NICS.
Is it?

It should be in his bound book if he took it for a consignment

If his FFL expires do all the guns fall to his private ownership, assuming he was a 01FFL and not a 07FFL SOT with post sample machine guns he can't own as an individual

Sorry to hear this. He had some difficulty locating a gun of mine that was shipped to him but it turned up eventually. Seems like he is having a tough time and I hope he straightens everything out.

Didn't we all go through something like this on a group buy, from a kitchen dealer in Manchester, about 6 yrs ago??

Flints have been trapped with shit dealers here a few times. That ice arms idiot (winter?) silver city firearms, and some other thing i forget.

This is the most recent google review:

Dean Barbus

1 review
★ – – – – (3 weeks ago) - NEW
I bought a rifle from Mike off of the gunbroker site for $1200 back in August of this year. He said he had 3 of the rifles on hand. I paid 2 payments of $600 and he said he'd ship it out.
Weeks go by, and it never shows up. I inquire day after day, asking for an update and/or a tracking number. Like others have stated before, he makes excuses about UPS and Fedex "being Liberals" and although assures me he'll give me tracking, never does.
After a month, he says he'll ship a second rifle (stated he has 3) and send me a label to send the other back. More weeks go by, no updates or tracking numbers provided, only more excuses. He then makes up a story and says somehow, someway, both rifles get sent back to him.
At this point, I ask for a refund. He agrees, but more excuses arise, as somehow, someway, Venmo (the cash app I used to pay him) will not let him send the money back to me. Funny how when I sent it worked, but not the other way around.
He states that the only other possible way and fastest method would be to send it through the mail in the form of a USPS money order (i'm sure you can guess where this is going.) I agree and ask for proof that he is, indeed, sending me a money order. He then takes a picture of cash, and a letter with my address and calls that proof. Astounding.
So far, it has been almost 2 weeks as of the posting of this review (bear in mind, it is roughly 9 hours or so from my location to his store) and i can almost gurantee that nothing will come at this point, but reading other reviews gives me a glimmer of hope i will get one eventually.
I wish i would have read the reviews on google before making the purchase, but i trusted gunbroker's reviews of all positive and thought i was safe. Mike has been communicative and genuinely nice throughout this, but my God this experience has been the worst one i've had with a gun shop yet.
If you're reading this, DO NOT do business with this shop. I hope I never have to do any business with it again, and I hope I get my money back. Because if not, I have no other choice but to go through the courts, which i'm surprised hasn't happened already.

This situation looks pretty bleak from a moral change-of-heart standpoint. It's a pattern of nefarious behavior that is most likely going to continue to be repeated until karma rears its ugly head.

An an aside, this is also the shop that had the robbery where the kid got off with a light sentence:

To be clear, I‘m primarily concerned that a firearm I purchased is unrecoverable. I either get it back or I get disposition of it. It’s a Kahr P40. I don’t expect much financial restitution for a 40 cal Kahr.

When it goes into consignment does ownership get transferred to FFL?

ETA: I am think of MA.
Meh, I’m not an FFL, but when you’re in the business of selling firearms (FFL) what your business possesses, needs to be in the book. When you work on someone’s gun for hire, sign it into book, then out of book. For it to be in his shop on consignment, into his book, and out when he sells it, or returns it un-sold to original owner. FFL needs to do 4473 to take things out of book….

Last edited:
To be clear, I‘m primarily concerned that a firearm I purchased is unrecoverable. I either get it back or I get disposition of it. It’s a Kahr P40. I don’t expect much financial restitution for a 40 cal Kahr.
Meh, it’s on his book now. If it shows up on a
Crime scene in Boston or Chicago, you’re not the last person on the paper trail. Even if you were, if it’s stolen, it’s stolen.

Meh, it’s on his book now. If it shows up on a
Crime scene in Boston or Chicago, you’re not the last person on the paper trail. Even if you were, if it’s stolen, it’s stolen.

this is literally my pistol

Back
Top Bottom