NH Alert: SB116. Still on the Gov's desk. ***Vetoed***

Jesus H. Christ. I am astounded.

From facebook:

The antigun chiefs are denying people for ANYTHING. This must not stand. We need to get this bill passed.

Just like Nashua had denied my P&RL for an arrest 26 years prior. No Conviction, charges were dropped 30 days later.
I have my P&R now but, I was like WTF?

Malodave

It was on a gun sales FB group. The mods crack down on non sales threads that they don't start so sadly it has since been deleted. But I am in contact with this person. He doesn't have the denial in hand yet. The chief is holding on to it (sound familiar?). He said he is going to go today (the 14th day) and demand the license. if he does not leave with a license, he will be calling JR Hoell who I gave contact info for as well as an attorney.

So I'm sorry that there is no link. You will have to trust me on this.

I got one response back..

Dear Awesomeness,

Thank you for your time to e-mail us. You wrote why we should pass HB 582 so well I may use it in committee to ask the other Representatives on the committee to please join me with a big YES vote. This is a good bill and thank you again for your time to reach out to us.

Take care,
John

Representative John A. Burt
Criminal Justice Committee

Goffstown, Weare and Deering, NH
District 39
624-5084 home number

Ok. It looks like this might just be a case of Streeter being an idiot (no surprise there) or he is back to his old ways pre-2012 lawsuit slapdown. Today was the 14th day for this person and a week prior Streeter had told him he was denied.

Some dialogue between me and this person (Mike):

Me: Did you refuse the denial originally a week ago?
Mike: I didn't have it in my hands long enough to refuse it. He took it back when I told him he issued my original permit.
Mike: He said he was going to look into it after I explained it had to be a mistake. He claimed there was a warrant in FL for driving related problems( which I have checked and confirmed is not true)

He went to the station today and PM'ed me this:

Mike: He took care of it and they printed me a new license.
Me: Did he say why he thought you had a warrant?
Mike: He didn't say.. He asked if it was taken care of, I told him there never was one
Me: Huh. It sounds odd.
Mike: Fact is, if I didn't call every day, and go into the station every chance I got, I would have stayed denied. I think he realized the 14 days was past and I still didn't have my denial letter.. He said he told her to call yesterday, but I called and talked to her yesterday before they closed and she knew nothing...

How does a chief not know they originally issued a license? All police keep records (at least in paper form) of who has a license. Is Streeter that disorganized? I find that hard to believe. My suspicion is that Chiefs were given marching orders to find any reason to deny and that due to this persons persistence and the fact that it is a renewal, Streeter relented.

Jesus H. Christ. I am astounded.

From facebook:

The antigun chiefs are denying people for ANYTHING. This must not stand. We need to get this bill passed.

+1. "Activist" CLEOs that think that they're towns are their little fiefdoms and they can lord over their "subjects". See also: Newton, Tufftonboro.

Not all the news today is bad. There is some good news. HB650 was voted ITL by the committee. Rep. Burt compiled the votes for everyone to see:

Motion of OTP in HB650 failed.

attachment.php

Motion of ITL passed.

attachment.php

As you can see, Fields is a weasel. It should be noted that representatives Sweeney, Berube, and Hirsch were absent from the vote. No reason was given to me. If they are your representative, call or email them and ask why they missed the vote. They may have had a legitimate reason or they may not.

10835029_10200286022829042_3514837590734373058_o.jpg

10985320_10200286023149050_5859737089209645070_o.jpg

I have, but "Rumor is that the cmte is going to retain the bill" was posted BEFORE "...a certain "gun" group will be having a dinner meeting with house leadership.... " (an event in the future at the time of the post) so how does #2 somehow cause #1?

I understand the backstory of the previous goatrope, but, honestly, sometime we gossip worse than old women at the village well.

Last edited:
Here is what he did last time.

By the Honorable Bob Clegg, President of Pro-Gun New Hampshire and former NH Senate Majority Leader

“…New Hampshire is too stupid to know what it needs…” John Hohenwarter’s statement to Bob Clegg

[Posted Thursday, May 12, 2011, at 11:20 p.m.] John Hohenwarter is the NRA-ILA representative to New Hampshire. In the time Mr. Hohenwarter has been here he has managed to do what the best anti-Second Amendment groups have not. On behalf of the NRA, he has stopped the passage of the Constitutional Carry bill, the Ward Bird bill, and the bill to allow a person to stand their ground when attacked, a true right of self defense.

In the name of the National Rifle Association, Mr. Hohenwarter decided to bring a new four-page bill to the NH legislature. Doing so using the same process available to every citizen in the state would have been fine, but he didn’t think he should use the normal legislative process; no, Mr. Hohenwarter wanted to be treated specially. In fact, acting like a DC politician, he actually thought he could create law in the dark of night, where no one would see what was being done.

The four-page bill in question would require NICS checks where they are now not demanded, would create additional criminal penalties, and would prohibit a young person from carrying a firearm. Can you see why the dark of night was his preferred method?

The four-page bill was shown to the House committee overseeing firearms laws, and they immediately rejected it. Not only did it make a mess out of Constitutional Carry, but the creation of new criminal penalties needed a public hearing. Mr. Hohenwarter was instructed to find a sponsor and bring the matter before the legislature as a bill, which in NH means full public hearings with notice and the content of the bill readily available to all who might want to read it.

The Constitutional Carry bill, HB330, passed a House of 400 with only 109 “no” votes, a phenomenal feat for any legislature.

But Mr. Hohenwarter wasn’t satisfied with that. Even though HB330 had just passed the NH House of Representatives by a veto-proof majority, he found a Senator willing to sponsor his four-page bill as an amendment to completely replace it, assuming the NRA would never be seen to be at odds with the Second Amendment groups in the state. What a mistake. Fully expecting Hohenwarter to scuttle Constitutional Carry in the Senate with his four-page replacement, representatives of several pro-gun state groups testified in the Senate committee hearing against the Hohenwarter amendment and its attempts to restrict gun owner rights. The Senator who had been persuaded to sponsor the four-page amendment pulled it, explaining that he didn’t realize that no one but Hohenwarter wanted it.

Move forward to the days before the final votes on three very important gun rights bills. Word came from the Senate they would hold them until next year. Seems Mr. Hohenwarter, using his position as a representative of NRA, made indications – threats – of poor NRA ratings for any senator who dared to pass a gun rights bill other than his version that no one wanted. The Senate decided to hold all gun rights bills until everyone “was on the same page” – but that is impossible!!! Pro-Gun New Hampshire is not interested in taking away rights, nor is it interested in creating new criminal penalties. The law is clear enough.

Hohenwarter has demonstrated this pattern of behavior before. As Pennsylvania’s NRA State Rep he caused the same kind of problems. But don’t take our word for it, read about it here at the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Forum: http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-10/116528-nra-liason-pa-hohenwarter-q-session.html

When I spoke with Hohenwarter, he explained to me that the House committee never rejected his bill, but instead claimed the House Majority Leader agreed to pull it so it would not go public, and had an agreement with the Senate to slide it into HB330, and the public would never know. When told that’s not how we do things, Hohenwarter stated that New Hampshire is too stupid to know what it needs, and that NRA had a room full of lawyers we needed to start listening to. He made derogatory remarks about two well known experts on gun rights, attorneys Evan Nappen and Penny Dean. Neither of them understands gun laws, he said, and they need to let the NRA lawyers handle it.

Here’s where we need help. We need to HEAVE HO HOHENWARTER. We need your help in sending him off to where the Brady Bill is still considered good legislation. I don’t know where that is, but that is certainly where he needs to be.

New Hampshire needs to have NRA on its side. As NRA life members, we need to stand up for our rights. We need every NRA member to contact the NRA and ask them to send Hohenwarter out – we don’t care where, just out. We need Constitutional Carry, we need the right to stand our ground, and we need the bill that says trespassers can avoid seeing a gun by not trespassing and a property owner shouldn’t need a commutation of a sentence for standing ready to defend what is his.

Please, we need you. If you are a member of NRA, contact NRA-ILA at (800) 392-VOTE (8683) and tell them you want to HEAVE HO Hohenwarter.

The future depends on you. If John Hohenwarter stays we will be forever regretful of the lost opportunity to have a Constitutional Carry law, a right not to run from those who would take from you or do you or your family harm, and with the likes of John Hohenwarter we won’t clarify the law that forced an armed man on his own property to do time in jail for confronting a trespasser. Don’t let Hohenwarter make you the next victim. Send him packing.

Please, we need you! If you are a member of NRA, contact NRA-ILA at (800) 392-VOTE (8683) and tell them you want to HEAVE HO HOHENWARTER.

Ask for BOTH Chris Cox and Chuck Cunningham, who are Hohenwarter’s bosses.

You can email them BOTH at:

Chris Cox: [email protected]

Chuck Cunningham: [email protected]

http://pgnh.org/heave_ho_hohenwarter

Seriously, **** that guy. The NH legislative process is straightforward and setup the way it is for a reason. You don't get to barge in an do things like they do in DC. Not how it ****ing works in NH. With 400 reps, it would be pandemonium if each one could submit a bill anytime.

The NRA rep had no reason to involve himself with this at all. Just the fact that he was here speaking with "Our" legislators before this happen is enough for me, based on what he did last time and his track record of screwing up good legislation.

"A leopard does not change its spots"

I know this. I agree with you.

My point was, the timeline is all wrong for the "he had dinner with them" and "CMTE is going to retain the bill" conspiracy theory.

I agree that we need no "outside help." I'm just saying it might be a bit early to cry "the sky is falling" or to try to tie them to things they could not have influenced.

Isn't it funny how those guys were nowhere to be found when and where they were needed (ex:Colorado), but they have to stick their bureaucrat noses into perfectly good law?

Which one of you beanbags is sending a FOIA letter to the DoS for the emails and other internal communications that took place before their testimony to the Committee?

I'd do it but I'm moving out of state in a few months and by the time they respond I'll be gone.

If someone needs a copy of the letter I used last time, let me know and I'll send you a word doc.

Mother****ers voted to retain the bill. I do not have who voted how yet. I will provided that as soon as it is available.

Scratch that. That was HB512. False alarm. I apparently am dyslexic right now lol.

Last edited:
For some reason NRA has stopped calling my house - of course when I want them to call. Keeping fingers crossed.

So, what does that mean exactly?

It means that the bill is held onto by the committee. Thus we will have to wait for SB116 to crossover in April. It also means there will be a public hearing in the House on SB116 and then another exec session vote. And it allows time for a rep to propose an amendment to the bill. For example, if Hohenwarter is behind this (and we have no real reason to believe otherwise based upon past behavior), he will find a sympathetic rep on the committee to propose an amendment that Hohenwarter wrote.

It means that the bill is held onto by the committee. Thus we will have to wait for SB116 to crossover in April. It also means there will be a public hearing in the House on SB116 and then another exec session vote. And it allows time for a rep to propose an amendment to the bill. For example, if Hohenwarter is behind this (and we have no real reason to believe otherwise based upon past behavior), he will find a sympathetic rep on the committee to propose an amendment that Hohenwarter wrote.

Ahhh....OK....thanks. [sad]

Back
Top Bottom