Newbie here

Newbie here. Looking for {non-sarcastic} advice/tips. Have my new MA Class A LTC unrestricted. Went to a range about 15 years ago in FL with family (I was too nervous & had no training). Other than that, no range training. Will be doing that soon, as I need to find what I'm most comfortable with. How do I calm the nerves? No idea why, and kind of embarrassing, but maybe it's that a gun is so powerful, and that along with my inexperience, makes me $hit my pants. I'm hoping "practice makes perfect", but I'm scared to practice! Advice, tips, anything welcome please!!!
Thank you!

Newbie on the South Shore

Definitely start with 22lr rifle or pistol ONLY!
Work your way up slowly to higher caliber in small increments.
maybe visit range w/o gun first. do bring hearing protection.
give yourself plenty of time to get accustomed to loud noise and safe gun handling techniques by observing other shooters.
take some shooting classes. maybe try simunition training first.

Last edited:
its like losing your cherry, your nervouse at first and uncomfortable but after a couple times your a pro. after the first 1-3 rounds leaves the chamber your going to be like that wasn't so bad what was i nervous about. just practice gune safety keep it unloaded until your ready fire and comfortable with it. nervous people at the range make me nervous. shoot safe and good luck

fear is at the heart of learning. being blindly terrified at the thought of a gun is bad, but a healthy respect for it's power is always good. When you have that fear, you will be sure to always treat the weapon properly. If you want formal training, there's a lot of places that do live fire training. I went to Boston Firearms Training in Revere and the instructor is a great dude. His live-fire class is affordable and excellent, and I know he has a variety of calibres and models.

If you have a friend with a collection, offer to trade him some ammo for range lessons. He can let you try various types and see what suits you. I always recommend starting with a .22 because it familiarizes you with shooting while being manageable even for a child, but if you're a healthy adult, a 9 should be totally manageable for even the most noodle-armed people. Don't jump straight to a .45 or .357 until you've tried something smaller.

Just remember the rules and run through them in your head every time you touch the gun. Eventually it becomes second nature to handle it properly. If you already have a firearm, buy some dry-fire dummy rounds and make sure they're brightly colored to be easily recognizable. Check to make sure it's unloaded 3 times, put the live ammo away, and load the dummies. Just sit there loading and unloading a couple dozen times until you feel comfortable with it in your hands.

Ultimately, you'll have to start shooting it. If you're worried, go with a buddy who can supervise. Practice makes perfect, and there is absolutely NO substitution for practice.

There are a number of ranges in the South Shore area that are good. Let us know which one is close to you and ask if anyone would be willing to show you around. This happens a lot and meeting a fellow shooter at a range is a good way to see how things work. Also, if you can spare the $20 or so to become a member of the forum. Green members, as they are called, have access to NES shoots where a good hundred or more shooters get together and shoot something all to hell. Typically a car or some other very fun target. Folks there are more then willing to let you shoot something you're interested in if you bring ammo for it.

Also, the search function works pretty well here to delve into things you'd like to know. Lastly, as with any forum, you'll come across a few pricks. Just ignore them. Most of us do as well. There are some great folks here with a lot of knowledge. Feel free to pick people's brains.

start with 22lr rifle or pistol
work your way up.
just give yourself plemnty of time to get

^^^THIS^^^^

I'd be looking at some one-on-one training to get familiar with a gun. Lots of ranges do this for a reasonable fee. Definitely look towards something in .22 to really get some trigger time (if you can find ammo), and it can work in a defensive situation, as it's better than having a sharp stick.(OK, I'll insert the joke before someone else does: Careful, if you shoot somebody with a .22 and they find out about it, they're gonna be pissed!)

Lastly, Welcome to NES, and the world of firearms. Just remember; keep your booger hook off of the bang switch until you want to fire a shot and you'll be fine!

Honestly, I'd be surprised if someone in your area didn't chime in soon and offer to take you to their range for some trigger time, there are a great bunch of people here. Cheers, and good luck!

THANK YOU!!

Definitely start with 22lr rifle or pistol ONLY!
Work your way up slowly to higher caliber in small increments.
give yourself plenty of time to get accustomed to loud noise and safe gun handling techniques by observing other shooters.
take some shooting classes. maybe try simunition training first.

As above. I'm such a puss I just started shooting a 9mm after 6 months.

A few hundred rounds down range and you'll loosen right up. You'll be twirling the pistol on your fingers in no time (woops, sarcasm). There's no substitute for lots of practice.

Newbie here. Looking for {non-sarcastic} advice/tips. Have my new MA Class A LTC unrestricted. Went to a range about 15 years ago in FL with family (I was too nervous & had no training). Other than that, no range training. Will be doing that soon, as I need to find what I'm most comfortable with. How do I calm the nerves? No idea why, and kind of embarrassing, but maybe it's that a gun is so powerful, and that along with my inexperience, makes me $hit my pants. I'm hoping "practice makes perfect", but I'm scared to practice! Advice, tips, anything welcome please!!!
Thank you!

What you need to do is get the largest caliber gun you can find and shoot yourself in the foot.

50360e001d41c8769e000018.jpg

Just kidding, guys this is Candace, she's a friend of mine from work and on my pushing her, she got off her arse and got her LTC

Thank you to ALL of you! I sincerely appreciate the honest, fast replies, and will heed all of your advice! I already feel a little better. Nice to know there are understanding peeps out there. I am going to join this club & a few others. Thanks again. :)
(Except Mikey P. with the Obama funny face.) ;-)

Last edited:
Newbie here. Looking for {non-sarcastic} advice/tips.

you're on the wrong site then. i kid, i kid.

but really... what are you afraid of? you need to go into more detail/see a therapist. a gun is no different from a hammer, it is just a tool. there is no need to be afraid of it. handle it safety and correctly and you will not have any problems with it at all.

Thank you to ALL of you! I sincerely appreciate the honest, fast replies, and will heed all of your advice! I already feel a little better. Nice to know there are understanding peeps out there. I am going to join this club & a few others. Thanks again. :)

It is awesome that your taking the steps to get familiar and comfortable with firearms. As a new shooter nothing can be more valuable then getting good solid training and then of course putting that to use on your own. You can certainly spend the money (which is money well spent) to work directly with an instructor or you can get comfortable and find a shooting friend you trust to help you through the basics over and over. As long as your safe with your gun handling and feel comfortable shooting the guns you choose (smaller caliber .22 as everyone stated being the best) you will catch on quickly. Like anything the more you practice the better you can get but finding an experienced shooter to make sure your not learning bad habits will make a big difference.

I myself don't have a club in the southshore but if you and your friend want to be hosted at my club Harvard Sportmans in Littleton I could bring plenty of goodies to gain some experience. We can almost always find a range that is vacant so we have the place to ourselves for the most part.

Best wishes in your search for knowledge.

Thank you!

As others posted above, I would definitely start with a .22LR.

My main piece of advice is get good hearing protection.

A lot of newbs start out with shitty/inadequate ear pro and its hard to focus on actually learning how to shoot when your ears are ringing.

Also take a training course operated by someone halfway reputable. Any teacher worth their salt will be able to help you.... a LOT.

-Mike

My main piece of advice is get good hearing protection.

A lot of newbs start out with shitty/inadequate ear pro and its hard to focus on actually learning how to shoot when your ears are ringing.

Also take a training course operated by someone halfway reputable. Any teacher worth their salt will be able to help you.... a LOT. -Mike

^
This.
Plus start slow and work up when your comforable and ready.
Find yourself a good teacher and try to get some range time when it's not too crowded.
Don't set yourself up next to someone blasting a hand cannon in the next booth.
Saftey first and formost, learn good range habits.
Your not going to be a marksman (or woman) right away so don't get discouraged. All in good time.
Most of all Have Fun!

Depending on your location I'd be more than willing to take you out for a day, I can get my hands on a .22 rifle and revolver, along with my SR9. The first few trigger pulls are always the hardest, once you get a few under your belt the fear will subside and you'll enjoy yourself

What you need to do is get the largest caliber gun you can find and shoot yourself in the foot.

50360e001d41c8769e000018.jpg

Just kidding, guys this is Candace, she's a friend of mine from work and on my pushing her, she got off her arse and got her LTC

Okay, I suppose there's no precedent for this.....

Is anybody gonna ask?

Like I said...

Depending on your location I'd be more than willing to take you out for a day, I can get my hands on a .22 rifle and revolver, along with my SR9. The first few trigger pulls are always the hardest, once you get a few under your belt the fear will subside and you'll enjoy yourself

Follow what everyone else has said and you'll eventually get over your fear with firearms. My ex-girlfriend was exactly the same. She grew up in liberal Boston and was completely afraid of guns. However, after taking her to a gun safety course and having her shoot a Ruger 10/22 she eventually moved up to 9mm. The last time we were in Vegas she went full auto with an M16 and loved it. Just keep going to the range with a knowledgeable friend/buy range time with an instructor, stick to 22 or 22lr, always follow basic gun safety rules and you'll be comfortable with a firearm in no time.

I'll add my name in for getting to try a few odds and ends if you are in the taunton area, though it will have to progress from a .22 rifle to a .40. Sorry I just don't have a large selection yet. Don't forget the shotguns too... they can be lots of fun and not to hard on you if someone tells you how to hold it correctly.... AND NO MATTER WHAT, DONT LET ANYONE START YOU ON A MOSIN NAGANT...

oh, and if you plan on learning a lot about firearms or even just getting into it, go green on here and enjoy...

Thank you!

My best advice is......."Don't start out sounding like a pussy!"[rofl]

I'm afraid of hitting myself with a hammer, but Gawd I LOVE shooting.
Absolutely get a 22. I'm partial to the Ruger 10/22 rifle and Ruger MK I , II, or III pistol.

(I hear that the MKIII may soon be readily available in MA again. More info when I have it)

I want to really get an SR22 at some point. I haven't shot one but they look good and generally get good reviews

Welcome to NES and congrats on your new LTC !!

It is totally natural to feel nervous when first introduced to firearms. You are intelligent and know what they are capable of.

This is why when we were all little kids, Dad started us out with a pellet gun in the back yard. There is nothing wrong with starting with a pellet gun and how I started my kids. It go them familiar with safe handling and eventually they progressed to 22's and then larger calibers.

My experience is that the biggest obstacle is the noise a firearm makes when fired for a new shooter. Good hearing protection is a must.

Don't worry about it. You will progress at your own pace. Have fun!

cfx09---i was in your same position 16 months ago. wasn't comfortable after mass safety course even though it was live fire (18 rounds)
i took the nra basic pistol course which included a lot more live fire. as others have suggested i then bought a .22 pistol(s&w .22a). joined a club, bought mossberg pistol grip for home defense, and ruger lcr .38 pocket cannon for edc.(every day carry) last purchase was a marlin .22 rifle for cheap shooting. trust your training and instinct---you'll be ok. DO NOT buy the first handgun you see for edc. read the forum, talk to people, rent if possible before you make that decision.

Try an NRA Day or NHF Day or CMP Clinic - affordable & lots of good info from friendly instructors!

Old Colony usually has one: Old Colony Sportsmens Association
Leominster is having one Sept 29th: Leominster Sportsmen's Association
Gloucester does a lot of CMP Clinics: Cape Ann Sportsman's Club Home Page
There's the Big MOE out in Sturbridge on 9/22: Mass Outdoor Expo (MOE)

Events Massachusetts - National Hunting and Fishing Day
CMP Club & Competition Tracker | Upcoming Competitions and Events

Check out the clubs near to your house: GOAL's Affiliated Club Listing Page. Find a local Rod and Gun Club here!

As many have suggested so far, pick up a nice .22lr and get comfortable with the actual act of shooting. Not only is the .22 a very affordable round to shoot, it will also let you work on your mechanics while you search for another gun that "fits" you.

You are nervous about going to the range and putting some lead down range? Wait until you get pigpiled by the forum for posting something obvious, or just because...Hell it was your time. As long as you are only nervous and not afraid we are ok. If you are both, maybe you should get some help or go playHalo or something. .22 is a good place to start. Play safe, please!

Number 1: always remember safety. Keep guns pointed down range, don't pick too big a caliber to start on, etc

Number 2: have fun. There is nothing (okay few things) better than the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom