• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to High Power Competition, Just what do I need?

I use the Turner AWS with my M14 in Jim Owen's "No-pulse" configuration. I am totally sold on the Biothene material. Before, I had an MRT and I could never get that thing to stay tight no matter what I did. I also think I stretched it out a bit. I've heard the "hard-holders" on the Service teams replace their MRT's every year because they are gone by the end of the season. With that AWS, it locks tight, no stretch, and doesn't need to be oiled or otherwise taken care of.
Ditto on the Nylon sling being a bad idea (for HP, at least). You might as well try using some cooked spaghetti. The cotten web slings work quite well.

I've also got the Creedmore Hardback (cordura, with vents). Do the leather-sleeved ones feel hotter?

Pat,

With a sweatshirt and a full leather jacket I can't tell, I'm going to be hot no matter what. But with the wool padding in the sleves I don't think the outside material makes a difference in temp. I think the color at that point will have a greater impact. I got my back in the lighest tan color they make. Nothing like baking in the sun at the 600.

JonJ said:
derek said:
If that is the price you heard then that is probably the model that Tony first purchased from them. And it is not very good for HP.
Yup, that's the price and comes with a CMP patch on the shoulder too. Sounds like one to stay away from.
I just did a search @ the CMP and found this....

"CMP Special Edition Shooting Jackets. The Civilian Marksmanship Program is now offering a “CMP Games Garand-Springfield-Military Rifle” spe­cial edition shooting jacket. This jacket was designed and manufactured by Creedmoor Sports, Inc. and is only available through the CMP. The shooting coat made of polyester/cotton twill material in CMP blue color. The body, elbow, shoulder and pulse pads are textured rubber for slip resistant contact during shooting and are backed by 1/4 inch felt padding. Front closures are nylon quick release buckles with adjusting straps for close body fit.

Sizes are small (36-38), medium (40-42), large (44-46) and XL (48-52). The price is $69.95. These special edition shooting jack­ets currently are only available through the CMP Store at Camp Perry."

These are probably fine for guys who may shoot the occasional Garand match. However, if you're going to shoot high power, stay away. Stay far away from cheap jackets. I learned my lesson!

Chris said:
Also, a silkweight patagonia T-shirt under it all helps wick the moisture so you don't feel like your are swimming in sweat. I use this when welding too to stay cool.

+1 I use the long seleve because of the shooting jacket, but they are a huge benefit.

PatMcD said:
I use the Turner AWS with my M14 in Jim Owen's "No-pulse" configuration. I am totally sold on the Biothene material. Before, I had an MRT and I could never get that thing to stay tight no matter what I did. I also think I stretched it out a bit. I've heard the "hard-holders" on the Service teams replace their MRT's every year because they are gone by the end of the season. With that AWS, it locks tight, no stretch, and doesn't need to be oiled or otherwise taken care of.
Ditto on the Nylon sling being a bad idea (for HP, at least). You might as well try using some cooked spaghetti. The cotten web slings work quite well.

I've also got the Creedmore Hardback (cordura, with vents). Do the leather-sleeved ones feel hotter?

My MRT never slips. Most shooters configure it backwards trying to make the keepers do all the work. The "Frog" is the key.

Another thing to add to the desireable list: a cartridge holder to hook on your high-dollar coat to save you from bending over during standing-slow-fire.

derek said:
Pat,

With a sweatshirt and a full leather jacket I can't tell, I'm going to be hot no matter what. But with the wool padding in the sleves I don't think the outside material makes a difference in temp. I think the color at that point will have a greater impact. I got my back in the lighest tan color they make. Nothing like baking in the sun at the 600.

Ditto. Mine is their light silver color for the back, mess venting, and zippered left forearm.

PatMcD said:
I use the Turner AWS with my M14 in Jim Owen's "No-pulse" configuration. I am totally sold on the Biothene material.

I haven't tried the no-pulse configuration yet. I've just noticed when I shoot my '03 with the leather sling I find it easier to keep that sling in position than the AWS sling. I'm not going to make any major changes before the 10th though, I may try to set it up for no-pulse after that & see how it works out.

Thanks,
CD

I've never seen a pulse in the front post with a leather sling. I used to when I used the M1 sling and it was a tourniquet on my left arm. The only time I see a pulse now is if I forget to undo the top button on my trousers or not loosen my belt in the sitting.

TonyD said:
My MRT never slips. Most shooters configure it backwards trying to make the keepers do all the work. The "Frog" is the key.

Tony,
Just out of curiosity, is this how you configure your sling? http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/slinghelp/slinghelp.htm

I remember in one of Jim Owen's books he had a discription of the sling configuration and I think it was the reverse of this. I'll need to look for that tonight.

Thanks
CD

cdkayak said:
TonyD said:

Tony,
Just out of curiosity, is this how you configure your sling? http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/slinghelp/slinghelp.htm

I remember in one of Jim Owen's books he had a discription of the sling configuration and I think it was the reverse of this. I'll need to look for that tonight.

Thanks
CD

Yes. Except I don't use both keepers in the loop and I don't do that bottom loop he shows with the free standing end. Notice that when the loop is around the left arm, the frog is lateral (or on the outside) of the left arm. I use one keeper in the loop and slide the second down from the top. Seems to works for me and I think Derek uses it the same way. He may can clarify on it.

Not being a high power competitor, I don't know if a Ching Sling is appropriate for use in this sort of competition.
No, a Ching Sling is not appropriate for CMP. You'll want a competition sling. For service rifle, the extra swivel for a Ching Sling would be against the rules anyways.

The main advantage of a Ching Sling is that it allows you to sling up very quickly. That's never an issue in CMP competition.

M1911 said:
Not being a high power competitor, I don't know if a Ching Sling is appropriate for use in this sort of competition.
No, a Ching Sling is not appropriate for CMP. You'll want a competition sling. For service rifle, the extra swivel for a Ching Sling would be against the rules anyways.

The main advantage of a Ching Sling is that it allows you to sling up very quickly. That's never an issue in CMP competition.

Thanks for the correction/clarification.

Back
Top Bottom