• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023 22 Long Range Shooting Competition

I caught the NRA article about 22 Long Range Shooting Competition and I have to admit, it looks fun. Does anybody know where you can find a list or information of where, when, and contact information for this type of competition event? The NRA article, I don't know maybe I missed it published elsewhere, made absolutely no mention of how you can participate in the tournaments. Honestly, I felt dirty having some NRA writer pimp the type of gear I would need to compete and what to get instead of just telling me the format and how I can find competition events near me. Basically, I'm supposed to get all dressed up with nowhere to go o_O So, if anyone can shed some light on this type of shooting and how to locate competition events, I'd be greatly appreciative.

I caught the NRA article about 22 Long Range Shooting Competition and I have to admit, it looks fun. Does anybody know where you can find a list or information of where, when, and contact information for this type of competition event? The NRA article, I don't know maybe I missed it published elsewhere, made absolutely no mention of how you can participate in the tournaments. Honestly, I felt dirty having some NRA writer pimp the type of gear I would need to compete and what to get instead of just telling me the format and how I can find competition events near me. Basically, I'm supposed to get all dressed up with nowhere to go o_O So, if anyone can shed some light on this type of shooting and how to locate competition events, I'd be greatly appreciative.
What's your location? There are some 22 NRL matches here in Mass.

i'd like to give long range .22 rifle a go. 300 yards? christ, that should be sporting and a bunch of fun. no, no...not going for a win, but should be much fun nonetheless. wondering aloud if they do that at harvard? you guys have actually got me excited. "private cobra reporting to the firing line as ordered, sir!"

1689211711047.png

@Chilichonga hosts PRS rimfire matches in New Bedford which sounds like it's close to you.

We have our final match of the season on 7/30 at RGNB in Dartmouth 1407 N. Hixville Rd. Not going to get more convenient than that. Send me a pm if you need more info.

Thanks! I have a schedule conflict on 7/30 or I would go and check it out. Already bought VIP tickets for Terrificon from 7/28 to 7/30.

@Chilichonga hosts PRS rimfire matches in New Bedford which sounds like it's close to you.
Thanks to all for the information! Very much appreciated ;)

There's a group up here in Maine that are quite serious about it. 300 yards with a 22lr. On Facebook, they are called the Long Gong group, or something like that.
That's the Skowhegan Sportsman Club. There is a FB page for Long Gong. Our club down in Southeastern Mass is getting the steel as we speak to run some of these. Some describe it as PRS 22 without the gymnastics.

That's the Skowhegan Sportsman Club. There is a FB page for Long Gong. Our club down in Southeastern Mass is getting the steel as we speak to run some of these. Some describe it as PRS 22 without the gymnastics.
It actually started by Robert over in Surry, ME. He's an enthusiastic advocate.

I describe it as long-ish range .22 benchrest.

Maybe a stupid question ...

For divisions that have a limit on rifle + scope cost ... let's say you buy what used to be a $1K scope as a close out at $400-500, would they still put you in an open division?

Asking because I see a lot of people shooting 457 with an Arken scope to be under a certain cost, but there are nicer scopes on sale or close out that cost about the same. So that got me wondering.

Maybe a stupid question ...

For divisions that have a limit on rifle + scope cost ... let's say you buy what used to be a $1K scope as a close out at $400-500, would they still put you in an open division?

Asking because I see a lot of people shooting 457 with an Arken scope to be under a certain cost, but there are nicer scopes on sale or close out that cost about the same. So that got me wondering.
Everything is based off MSRP even if it's on sale. (Street Prices) That Arken may have decent glass, but the turrets are DOG SHIT! If you're into Skippy elevation detents and fiddling with it on the clock guessing where you are go ahead and try one. I had the itch to try one based off the hype. I sent mine back!

I've never bought good glass and regretted it, but I have bought budget glass and instantly regretted it.

Buy what you want, you will be better off and much happier.

Everything is based off MSRP even if it's on sale. (Street Prices) That Arken may have decent glass, but the turrets are DOG SHIT! If you're into Skippy elevation detents and fiddling with it on the clock guessing where you are go ahead and try one. I had the itch to try one based off the hype. I sent mine back!

I've never bought good glass and regretted it, but I have bought budget glass and instantly regretted it.

I am not buying Arken. Mainly because there are some people that love it and some that really hate it and when they hate it, it is stuff like what you mentioned.

I also hate the constant YouTube BS of "the $400 scope is better than the $1500 scope" ... there are so many of those videos that I started thinking: "if the scope is so good, you shouldnt have to try so hard to sell it so hard".

I also won't touch SWAMPFOX. Although C_DOES covers one or two SWAMPFOX scopes and his reviews are some of the best on YouTube.

It took a lot for me to even consider Athlon and buy one and I don't regret it.

But I mentioned ARKEN in my example because most 457 videos I watched these past 2 days had ARKEN, although one guy kept talking sh*t about the glass.

I was hoping that I could get a Vortex PST GEN 1 because now they are on closeout sales at really good prices. I have used one out to 600 yards and did great, so on a .22 it should be fine. But, if going by MSRP it would be overkill.

I am not buying Arken. Mainly because there are some people that love it and some that really hate it and when they hate it, it is stuff like what you mentioned.

I also hate the constant YouTube BS of "the $400 scope is better than the $1500 scope" ... there are so many of those videos that I started thinking: "if the scope is so good, you shouldnt have to try so hard to sell it so hard".

I also won't touch SWAMP FOX.

It took a lot for me to even consider Athlon and buy one and I don't regret it.
I have a Cronus and it's a nice piece of glass. My only complaint is the reticle isn't dark enough. It makes it tough for holdovers in Rimfire. It now sits on a center-fire rifle

I have a Cronus and it's a nice piece of glass. My only complaint is the reticle isn't dark enough. It makes it tough for holdovers in Rimfire. It now sits on a center-fire rifle

Interesting, I didn't run into that, but I have only shot out to 100, it sits on my 350 Legend. I like the illumination, made a huge difference early in the morning and it is very clear.

Mine is a MIDAS SFP because it is a close range hunting rifle so I didn't need FFP.

I was surprised at the clarity of the Midas, I was expecting less.

The Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 is a great option. I know plenty of competitors who finish well that use them. You want something that will parallax down to 25yds has a zero stop and plenty of elevation.

You looking mils or moa? I would suggest mils if you plan to shoot 22prs.

That Gen 1 PST glass inst that good either.

The Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 is a great option. I know plenty of competitors who finish well that use them. You want something that will parallax down to 25yds and has a zero stop and plenty of elevation.

You looking mils or moa? I would suggest mils if you plan to shoot 22prs.

That Gen 1 PST glass inst that good either.

If I get into it, it will be MILS.

I didn’t find a problem with the early Arken $600 model I had, the turrets were nice and the clicks felt solid. I just had issue with the thin lines of the reticle.
Maybe China cheapened them and could be why I got most of my $ back for it.

So Swampfox is super interesting to me. I don’t currently own any but I’ve had a couple come through over the years. Here’s a comparison between ZCO, Eotech, Swampfox and an ATACR. I can’t speak to their tracking or durability but I was impressed by the optical performance for such cheap scopes. IMG_2419.png

Attachments

• IMG_2418.png
    IMG_2418.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2417.png
    IMG_2417.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2416.png
    IMG_2416.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 26
So Swampfox is super interesting to me. I don’t currently own any but I’ve had a couple come through over the years. Here’s a comparison between ZCO, Eotech, Swampfox and an ATACR. I can’t speak to their tracking or durability but I was impressed by the optical performance for such cheap scopes. View attachment 832436
Idk, holy CA...

Back
Top Bottom