• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What I learned from my first PRS22 match...

Are distances known or do you have to gauge them?

Is a 20 MOA mount enough to get out to 500y with most scopes?
I've only attended this one thus far, which was known distance. I'm assuming that it depends on the event, but from what I've read and heard in my research it appears most are known distance. A couple of guys at this past event were talking about an event in CT that's setup as a "Hunter" challenge, I think, but that's going to be unknown.

As for the rail MOA, I'm using a 40MOA with my scope. It was recommended on another forum in a PRS thread, when I asked for advice.

If you go to Area419's website they have a video that explains what rail to grab based on your scope.

Are distances known or do you have to gauge them?

Is a 20 MOA mount enough to get out to 500y with most scopes?
Yes, all targets at PRS matches are known distance. You don't need a RF to shoot matches. Usually if there are questionable distances, an unreliable MD, or other factors that make the shooters question the distances, someone on your squad will have a range finder to confirm actual distance.

No, 20moa would not be enough cant to shoot out to 500yd. Figure you have a 34mm scope with roughly 30mils of elevation adjustment, you'll have around 20ish mils of upwards elevation adjustment with a 20moa mount. My dope for 500yds is roughly 29 mils. I'm running 60moa of cant, 40moa in my scope base and another 20 in the mount.

Edit: also, I would start at 40 and go from there once you learn your rifle/scope better. 60moa is approx 18mils, so if your scope only has 20mils of total elevation, you might not be able to zero at 50yds.

Last edited:
I've only attended this one thus far, which was known distance. I'm assuming that it depends on the event, but from what I've read and heard in my research it appears most are known distance. A couple of guys at this past event were talking about an event in CT that's setup as a "Hunter" challenge, I think, but that's going to be unknown.

As for the rail MOA, I'm using a 40MOA with my scope. It was recommended on another forum in a PRS thread, when I asked for advice.

If you go to Area419's website they have a video that explains what rail to grab based on your scope.

Yep, one of the clubs ran an unknown distance match last year, forget if it was EGFG or Hardwick. PRS matches will always be known distance, but some clubs may also run outlaw matches in other formats.

Bear with me, total n00b here...

My scope's elevation adjustment is 18mil (I actually don't know if that's in each direction or total - I assume total). Isn't that 63 MOA of adjustment? Or 31.5MOA in each direction?

I'm in the process of building a .22 rifle and I can spec the receiver with a 20MOA base. You can get even more out of the mount itself?

My scope's elevation adjustment is 18mil (I actually don't know if that's in each direction or total - I assume total). Isn't that 63 MOA of adjustment? Or 31.5MOA in each direction?

I'm in the process of building a .22 rifle and I can spec the receiver with a 20MOA base. You can get even more out of the mount itself?
Yes, 18mils is just shy of 62 MOA.

Yes, you can get mounts with built in cant. The ARC M-Brace mounts are the bees knees.

The ARC design is awsome and makes mounting scopes so painless. I have both the rings and mount and I do prefer the mount most of the time. Only downfall I’ve seen is on my comp rifle the ejected rounds bounce off the mount and I have had a few bounce back into the chamber so actually ordered another set of ARC rings this morning to remedy the situation.

Nx8 or attacr? Is the eye relief and image that much better in attacr to justify almost 1k more in price? Milxt as effective for windholds? Only thing I didn’t like was the dots were huge on the tremor3 for wind and wanted to know if people had issues with them covering the targets at range.

Also 2.5-20, 4-32, 4-16, 7-35x? Assuming out to 1000 with moa sized targets.

I'm a little confused by some of the posts. 40 MOA rails for a 22? Shooting a 22 out to 500 yards? Are posts mixing in center fire topics?

Are there actually 22NLR matches with targets at 500 yards? I was thinking 300 yards was the practical limit for 22's and in most cases a 20 MOA rail would cover that.

And I'm confused by mil vs moa: if these are KD ranges, what would be the advantage of mils?

I'm a little confused by some of the posts. 40 MOA rails for a 22? Shooting a 22 out to 500 yards? Are posts mixing in center fire topics?

Are there actually 22NLR matches with targets at 500 yards? I was thinking 300 yards was the practical limit for 22's and in most cases a 20 MOA rail would cover that.
Off the top of my head I can confirm there was one target at 529 yards at the match last weekend. A couple in the 400 range. Most were under 400, primarily between 100 and 200. But yes if the range offers it it seems 500 is an option

Nx8 or attacr? Is the eye relief and image that much better in attacr to justify almost 1k more in price? Milxt as effective for windholds? Only thing I didn’t like was the dots were huge on the tremor3 for wind and wanted to know if people had issues with them covering the targets at range.

Also 2.5-20, 4-32, 4-16, 7-35x? Assuming out to 1000 with moa sized targets.

The Mil-XT has everything you need and nothing you don’t all without having a too intrusive tree. The ATACR is definately a better scope but there are many who run the Nx8 4-32 as well.

I would recommend at least 25x on the top end, I personally run the 7-35. I find myself zeroing and shooting groups around 30-32x and on the clock I’m typically around 20x.

Another thing that’s important for the 22 is the minimum parallax adjustment.

And I'm confused by mil vs moa: if these are KD ranges, what would be the advantage of mils?
They are essentially no different, only different units of measure. This sport is dominated by MILs and would be my recommendation.

Ultimately I feel Mils is a little easier as it’s measured in tenths versus quarters. When you have to do quick math in your head on the clock it seems easier for me.

The Mil-XT has everything you need and nothing you don’t all without having a too intrusive tree. The ATACR is definately a better scope but there are many who run the Nx8 4-32 as well.

I would recommend at least 25x on the top end, I personally run the 7-35. I find myself zeroing and shooting groups around 30-32x and on the clock I’m typically around 20x.

Another thing that’s important for the 22 is the minimum parallax adjustment.
I’m guessing you have a nx8 and attacr if your running 7-35? How’s the image quality and eye relief between the two?

Off the top of my head I can confirm there was one target at 529 yards at the match last weekend. A couple in the 400 range. Most were under 400, primarily between 100 and 200. But yes if the range offers it it seems 500 is an option
500yds on 22lr is a 92moa or 26.2mrad.
O-key.

So, I have a 30moa area419 rail there and scope theoretically has 68moa max elevation, so I guess idea is to max out scope and shoot it by a bottom of a reticle praying it will not be blown away by light breeze. :)

Last edited:
MILs firstly because it is by far what everyone else is doing.
MOA scopes are typically a finer measurement / adjustment, but that isn't necessary for PRS, and with MOA it will actually take longer (more clicks, more rotations) to dial between targets on a stage.
Scope reticle choice can come down to a personal opinion thing, but Its super important to have clear marks at 2/10 mils for holdovers, (like the NF mil-xt mentioned above) marks only every 1/2mil wont cut it.

keep in mind you can combine your dialed in adjustment with a holdover, if need be. You don't want a combination of base and rings that make it so your 50y zero is at the max of the scopes up elevation adjustment.

I’m guessing you have a nx8 and attacr if your running 7-35? How’s the image quality and eye relief between the two?
I have the ATACR and looked through a few Nx8. I’d say that the ATACR is a step up in every category but I’m saying that doesn’t mean the Nx8 is bad at all. Biggest thing is tracking and reticle in my opinion and I would fully trust either.

I have the 4-32 and 7-35 NX8/ ATACR, respectively.

I love them both. The ATACR is much larger, heavier, with better image, and holds up better in low light. NX8 is very small and light. You can’t go wrong with either.

If you don't feel like watching the whole video he hits a coke can at 700yds at the end.

View: https://youtu.be/W5UOjxyZiIE

Scope reticle choice can come down to a personal opinion thing, but Its super important to have clear marks at 2/10 mils for holdovers, (like the NF mil-xt mentioned above) marks only every 1/2mil wont cut it.
1/2 mil cuts it fine for some of us who have a decent eye for using those marks to hold point 3 etc., it's not that hard to estimate .2 , .3 , .4 between 0 and .5 for example. I can't afford an ATACR and the Vortex reticle I use has .2 hashes for wind at least. It is still fun no matter what you bring.

Back
Top Bottom