• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What I learned from my first PRS22 match...

This is how I'm ballparking CCI SV out of a 1022 clone I'm building:

Screenshot_20230320-193011.png

Tell me if this is right: my max scope adjustment is 18mil so I'd be good out to ~350 yards. A canted rail of, say, 20 MOA, would allow my scope to stretch out to almost 425 yards. Right? What I'm having trouble figuring out is how much of a cant can I have to still be able to zero at 50 yards?

Edit for anyone reading this in the future: my math above is wrong because 18mil is total adjustment. So with no cant I would have 9mil to work with (up and down so total 18). Therefore my max distance would be 225y. With a 20 MOA rail it would be just over 300y. I think...

Last edited:
@kalash when you say 18mil max adjustment, does that mean with your current zero you have 18mil of upwards travel in your turret?

If so, the answer is yes. A 20moa scope base (rail) would give you another 6mils of upward travel in your elevation turret.

As for max cant, look up the total elevation travel in the turret for your scope in the manufacturer's specs. Subtract your current upwards travel (18mils). That should give you a rough idea of how much travel is left before you bottom out the turret and can't zero.

Which scope are you using?

That's actually a good question... I think it might be 18mil total..? It's an Argos 6-24x50 gen2.

Total optics n00b here :eek:

That's actually a good question... I think it might be 18mil total..? It's an Argos 6-24x50 gen2.

Total optics n00b here :eek:
Screenshot_20230322_205659_OneDrive.jpg
yea, 18mils total. Even if you bottom out the turret, you won't be able to dial past 350. I assume your scope is currently zeroed? How far can you dial upwards from your zero before it stops?

I assume your scope is currently zeroed? How far can you dial upwards from your zero before it stops?
It's not even mounted yet. Hell, I don't even have the rifle yet - hoping to have all the parts put together some time in May. That's really the reason behind these questions - when I order the receiver I can opt for a 10 or 20 MOA rail (or no cant at all).

The vast majority of my shooting will be between 50 and 100 but there's also the curious competitor in me who wants to try a match with this rifle. In other words, being able to dial down to 50 is a must so I'm wondering how far I can shoot if I bottom out the adjustment to get that 50y zero.

Get the 20moa rail. You'll still be able to zero and dial out to about 300yds give or take. There aren't many targets past 300yds at the prs22 matches and for the ones that are, you'll just need to hold for the additional elevation in your reticle.

Get the 20moa rail. You'll still be able to zero and dial out to about 300yds give or take. There aren't many targets past 300yds at the prs22 matches and for the ones that are, you'll just need to hold for the additional elevation in your reticle.
Area 419 makes 30 and 50 moa rails too.
But 50 probably would be an overkill.

Plus if rail is at 30 moa - worst case it is possible to get a scope mount with 20moa in it. But, most likely the rail will be enough.

If my math is correct, a 30 MOA rail would be right at the limit of being able to zero at 50y, so I'm going to go with the 20. Thanks for all the help!

I'm a little confused by some of the posts. 40 MOA rails for a 22? Shooting a 22 out to 500 yards? Are posts mixing in center fire topics?

Are there actually 22NLR matches with targets at 500 yards? I was thinking 300 yards was the practical limit for 22's and in most cases a 20 MOA rail would cover that.
there are dudes running 22lr vudoos out to 1100yds now.

Back
Top Bottom