• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to High Power Competition, Just what do I need?

The suject says it all.

I've got two guns that I'm sure qualify, a FedOrd M14 and an AR clone.

I've got a spotting scope, and personal protection (plugs and glasses).

Ammo is a non issue for me.

I shot in my first match last year. I showed up with pretty much with what you've got listed there. My spotting scope was pretty crappy and I had a leather work glove. The person shooting my position in the first relay offered to let me use his mat while I shot the second relay.

The gear I've accumulated since that match:
shooting glove
mat
shooting coat
better scope & stand
cart - this was the last thing I got & it's helped moving stuff on & off the line allot.

I'm still learning.

Things NEEDED by everybody: a rifle capable of being loaded with a magazine or stripper clip (M14, AR15, M1, bolt gun), ammo (58 or 88 rds min.), ear and eye protection, open-chamber flag, and a pen to write with. Anything else guys?
Things DESIREABLE for a new guy: a mat or scrap of carpet to lay on, elbow pads if you don't have a jacket, spotting scope or binoculars, clipboard, WATER, proper sling, work/ski glove for the non-trigger hand. Anything else??
Things you will end up with eventually if you stick with Highpower: High-dollar shooting coat, high-dollar spotting scope and stand, shooting stool with wheel kit, and about 100 other assorted doo-dads that you will find make your life easier.
I am sure there are some other essential things I am forgetting right now. Others will chime in, I'm sure. :D

I don't shoot High Power, this explanation comes from the high end of small bore competition I was involved with years ago.

Heavy clothing reduces or eliminates most of the natural movement of your body allowing a much more controlled hold. Breath isn't the only problem, pulse, natural muscle action, and even digestion can create tremors and other motions in the body that effect your aim. You should see the heavy leather gear that Olympic air rifle shooters use.

You can get by without the glove and coat to start. You will need a scoring book. The scope stand is important -- get a good one. You'll need at least 3 magazines. It also helps to have an ammo box. You'll need a hat with a visor (e.g., a baseball cap). You'll need a good high power sling. Don't bother with a stretchy carrying strap. Get either a leather sling from Turner or use a fabric military style M14 sling.

A mat is a big help, especially at clubs that have concrete slabs at the firing line. A cooler to keep your lunch and water cold. Sight black is very useful. You will need chamber flag.

Adam_MA said:
Ignorant question: Why does one need a shooting jacket and shooting glove?

Adam
You will note that in my reply I said they were desireable, not needed. Actually, the glove is bordering on needed. Try slinging up tight and holding it for 20 minutes and you'll see what I mean.

derek said:
if you want to compete at a higher level a shooting jacket is needed.

And, make it a good one. I'm proof of that. I didn't listen to Derek and skimp'ed on my jacket to save money. I bought a good one before leaving Perry but after I shot in my cheap one.

Take a look at my thread called "Getting Started" for the basics.

Any new guys I will suggest this: Some things you can skimp on in the beginning. However, when it comes to spending money on gear you are going to need to compete, get quality stuff the first time. I think the two most important items are a quality match upper and a quality jacket.

The jacket is to make you as stiff as possible to reduce wobble. This is MOST important in the off-hand.

The glove is mainly to protect your support hand from the hand guards and sling pressure.

TonyD said:
derek said:
if you want to compete at a higher level a shooting jacket is needed.

And, make it a good one. I'm proof of that. I didn't listen to Derek and skimp'ed on my jacket to save money. I bought a good one before leaving Perry but after I shot in my cheap one.
Tony, did you happen to see the new coat made by Creedmore for the CMP? I was wondering on the quality of it.
Thanks

Cordura sounds interesting. My father used to shoot at Perry (10 or 11 years worth). He always used a leather jacket, and he bought me a cloth one when I was a teen.

I never got into high power though.

I've shot small-bore, used a 513T Remington, but that was National Guard Postal Matches.

NOTE: CMP will be selling Creedmore shooting jackets off their website within a few weeks.

Might be a good deal vs. paying retail. For those interested, make a note to check their website in a few weeks. www.odcmp.org

I also have a Creedmoor coat that I'm very happy with, although I wish I had spent the extra money and gotten the hard-back when I bought. That will be one of my spend twice items, but probably not for another year or two.

I agree that some type of glove is close to a 'needed' item. I have Creedmoor's NRA High Power glove, which I really like. I forgot it at the June match & left with at least one bloody knuckle from slinging up in sitting and prone.

One thing I thought of related to slings. I have Turner slings, the AWS biothane sling on my AR and a leather sling on my '03. I'm not really sure I'm sold on the biothane sling; I'll probably be getting another leather sling for the AR. Has anyone else used Turner's AWS sling? Just curious what your impression was.

CD

I've always been like Fred, when it comes to slings.

I like the ORIGINAL M16 sling, GREEN nylon, just like the web M1/M14 sling, but nylon and longer. Some folks think this is an M14 sling, but, it's actually an M16 item that works on the M14 and was finally issued for it.

But then, one of you regular competitors is going to have to show me how to use a sling properly.

Not being a high power competitor, I don't know if a Ching Sling is appropriate for use in this sort of competition.

If it is, take a look at Andy Langlois' Ching Slings at www.shottist.com

Andy is a member of this forum, even if he has forgotten how to find it again! [twisted]

Andy is a real good guy, a competitive shooter and a Raven from NH.

cdkayak said:
One thing I thought of related to slings. I have Turner slings, the AWS biothane sling on my AR and a leather sling on my '03. I'm not really sure I'm sold on the biothane sling; I'll probably be getting another leather sling for the AR. Has anyone else used Turner's AWS sling? Just curious what your impression was.

CD

I haven't used the AWS but I've seen a few used up close and I'm not sold on them either.

The green cotton sling is the original M1 sling with a slide keeper up top and a quick detach on the butt. The USMC M16 sling is same except black cotton and 5" longer. Stay away from anything nylon for high power. It will slip and never give good tension in a position.

The leather MRT sling was the original from the Ought 3 and what I currently use. Turner makes them longer for more adjustment and from better leather, in my opinion. My next will be a Turner leather sling.

Won't the M14 take the wider one? Using the AR clone is my back up. I'll still probably go for the Turner, though. Never heard anything bad about them, heard lots of good about them.

I'm pretty sure that the M1 (Garand), M14, and M16 all used 1 1/4" hardware since all the slings the came with them are 1 1/4" wide. Standard civillian hardware is usually 1".

Yeah the 1 1/4" and 1" I knew, and yes, I actually do think the M14 is also 1 1/4".

Why would Springfield sell 1 1/2, though? Makes no sense to me. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't having a case of CRS.

LenS said:
NOTE: CMP will be selling Creedmore shooting jackets off their website within a few weeks.

Might be a good deal vs. paying retail. For those interested, make a note to check their website in a few weeks. www.odcmp.org
Exactly Len but I was wondering just what the quality is. I believe the announcment I got said they were $70.

If that is the price you heard then that is probably the model that Tony first purchased from them. And it is not very good for HP.

derek said:
If that is the price you heard then that is probably the model that Tony first purchased from them. And it is not very good for HP.
Yup, that's the price and comes with a CMP patch on the shoulder too. Sounds like one to stay away from.
I just did a search @ the CMP and found this....

"CMP Special Edition Shooting Jackets. The Civilian Marksmanship Program is now offering a “CMP Games Garand-Springfield-Military Rifle” spe­cial edition shooting jacket. This jacket was designed and manufactured by Creedmoor Sports, Inc. and is only available through the CMP. The shooting coat made of polyester/cotton twill material in CMP blue color. The body, elbow, shoulder and pulse pads are textured rubber for slip resistant contact during shooting and are backed by 1/4 inch felt padding. Front closures are nylon quick release buckles with adjusting straps for close body fit.

Sizes are small (36-38), medium (40-42), large (44-46) and XL (48-52). The price is $69.95. These special edition shooting jack­ets currently are only available through the CMP Store at Camp Perry."

Back
Top Bottom