New gun owner, question regarding care of weapon.

You will get a thousand opinions, CLP is ok, I use corrosionX for storage long term, lots just use fresh motor oil, just about anything that says stops corrosion will work. There really is nothing magical in most gun specific oils.

You will get a thousand opinions, CLP is ok, I use corrosionX for storage long term, lots just use fresh motor oil, just about anything that says stops corrosion will work. There really is nothing magical in most gun specific oils.

So even WD-40?

Light coat of oil on the outside of the barrel and any other exposed metal. Very light oil in the barrel, but run a dry patch or a bore snake through it before shooting it. Thin film of oil on the outside of the bolt. To save yourself some headaches, when you're getting the gun oil, look around for silicon impregnated gun cloths. You can use them to give your gun a quick wipe whenever you handle it and save yourself from the rust monsters. This becomes especially important if you're out shooting it in the heat. Your hands are going to sweat and wherever you touch will rust. Gotta get that off in a hurry.
Excellent advice. I keep a silicon cloth in my safe, anything that gets touched gets a wipe down afterwards.

As others have said you need a light film of oil on all metal parts.

Personally not a big CLP fan. I prefer the Hoppe's Elite Oil. I've had issues with CLP in the winter in the past and gave it up. I've never had an issue with the Hoppe's all the way down to -10F.

So even WD-40?

I have a 50-70 carbine rifle that sat in a cardboard box under my bed, then in a closet for close to 30 yrs... Earlier this yr, I was poking around blackpowder rifle sites and found out it was worth close to 10x what I paid for it. I pulled it out and examined it... There was not a speck of rust on it. None. All I used was WD-40. I sprayed it and then lightly wiped it making sure there was a light coat on it. For the barrel, I'd just spray it and make sure it was all covered. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with WD-40. Just know that it is not a lubricant. For a lube, I'm currently using MPro7 which I like a lot...

Perfect. Now what should I oil? The barrel and inside the barrel? And all metal parts? It's bolt action, do I oil the bolt? Or inside the chamber where the bolt slides?
All metal should have a light coat of oil. Go buy a cleaning kit. Walmart or dicks usually have them. It will have the cleaning rods brushes and patch holders you need to clean and oil the bore. Just use a rag and oil on everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect. Now what should I oil? The barrel and inside the barrel? And all metal parts? It's bolt action, do I oil the bolt? Or inside the chamber where the bolt slides?
All metal should have a light coat of oil. Go buy a cleaning kit. Walmart or dicks usually have them. It will have the cleaning rods brushes and patch holders you need to clean and oil the bore. Just use a rag and oil on everything else.

Read the durections that came ring the weapon. Wapti rust dust on oil. In gunsighted in then at range. Buy stainless weapon.

As others have said you need a light film of oil on all metal parts.

Personally not a big CLP fan. I prefer the Hoppe's Elite Oil. I've had issues with CLP in the winter in the past and gave it up. I've never had an issue with the Hoppe's all the way down to -10F.

Same with frog lube for me . Cold weather locked a few different guns up. I have to hand cycle till the firearm warmed up.

A what do I need to lube up? Also, what classifies as lube? Does the rem oil count as lube? So in other words it's a protectant as well as lubricant?

Yes in most respects but I believe Rem oil has Teflon which is more of a temporary surface conditioner that wears away in short time.

A what do I need to lube up? Also, what classifies as lube? Does the rem oil count as lube? So in other words it's a protectant as well as lubricant?

Rem oil is a lube and can protect.
Just be careful of snake oil like frog lube.

Go to s store and buy a bore snake that works with the caliber of your rifle.
Put a little lube on it and pull from chamber to muzzle .

Also if you can just buy a Otis kit for your caliber .

This will get you by till you figure out what works for you .
Most of the time when you clean . You just run a bore snake and wipe it down . Oil it now and then .

If you have surplus ammo that use sAlts there's more work to keep it rusted .

My bolt guns I take care of a lot better then my Ak's . I haven't cleaned my 556 ak yet and I have a few range trips and about 1k rounds down the pipe.
My ar I have cleaned besides just a bore snake in 2 years.

Watch videos from different people and figure out what works.

Dipping your gun in used motor oil and then wiping it with a cloth is better than what you've got going now. So, yeah, that'll work [grin]

It works .
Look at the Otis all in one kits for the caliber the rifle is.
It will have stuff In it for when you do a real cleaning vs typical cleaning .

I absolutely will. I just wanted a decent solution for the immediate couple of weeks. In two weeks when I buy my safe, I'll have silica gell in it and grab a full cleaning kit. I've only put 20 rounds through this rifle, so I figure I wouldn't need a full clean until 100 rounds.

These two items (the M-pro gun oil, and bore snake) should keep it from rusting and in good condition right? The M-Pro looks to be a protectant, and lubricant all in one. The bore snake's for inside the barrel. Would paper towels work, or should I pick up a specific cloth today as well, when I'm at walmart?

I absolutely will. I just wanted a decent solution for the immediate couple of weeks. In two weeks when I buy my safe, I'll have silica gell in it and grab a full cleaning kit. I've only put 20 rounds through this rifle, so I figure I wouldn't need a full clean until 100 rounds.

These two items (the M-pro gun oil, and bore snake) should keep it from rusting and in good condition right? The M-Pro looks to be a protectant, and lubricant all in one. The bore snake's for inside the barrel. Would paper towels work, or should I pick up a specific cloth today as well, when I'm at walmart?

Used t shirt .
Paper will leave bits and get torn .

Bolt guns don't get as dirty as semi autos ,I have a few thousands down the pipe and I haven't cleaned them lol . But normaly you maintain a good bolt gun much more then a military style gun . I'm hard on my ar15 and Ak's. I have mud stuck on then that's been there for over s year.

My bolt action .22 I clean after each trip .
Bore snake then a patch down the barrels then I wipe the bolt down . I don't really take it apart .

My mosin that I shoot surplus ammo that has salts In it . I spray windex or piss down the bore when I get done shooting at the range . Then when I get home I field strip and clean real good cause the ammo will make it trust over night .

Used t shirt .
Paper will leave bits and get torn .

Bolt guns don't get as dirty as semi autos ,I have a few thousands down the pipe and I haven't cleaned them lol . But normaly you maintain a good bolt gun much more then a military style gun . I'm hard on my ar15 and Ak's. I have mud stuck on then that's been there for over s year.

My bolt action .22 I clean after each trip .
Bore snake then a patch down the barrels then I wipe the bolt down . I don't really take it apart .

My mosin that I shoot surplus ammo that has salts In it . I spray windex or piss down the bore when I get done shooting at the range . Then when I get home I field strip and clean real good cause the ammo will make it trust over night .

Oh man... I didn't clean it Friday (first time shooting with it...), am I to expect rust inside the barrel now? :(

Excuse the noob questions, I'm soaking all this info in. BTW thanks to everyone for all the contributions!

What's a patch? Do I need to buy those?

Oh man... I didn't clean it Friday (first time shooting with it...), am I to expect rust inside the barrel now? :(

Excuse the noob questions, I'm soaking all this info in. BTW thanks to everyone for all the contributions!

What's a patch? Do I need to buy those?

Lol .... Not likely . The ammo I shoot in my mosin is surplus mill ammo they used to have salt in it. The ammo your shooting you don't have to worry about it like I do with that rifle. The ammonia in windex gets rid of the salt . You only have to worry about it with old military surplus ammo .

Sell it and buy an AK and a Glock and never worry about oils again (other than the flavored stuff you can buy at the "Amazin" Adult Novelties shop on Route 1)

Well my intention is to go hunting with my rifle. So I wanted the .308 bolt action.

Also I fell in love with it after a day of shooting. :)

Back
Top Bottom