New gun owner, question regarding care of weapon.

Hey all. My family is warm blooded, so during the summer we tend to run the AC a LOT.

So I bought my first rifle on Friday ( already got it zeroed in and took it to the range). I noticed my floor AC unit has been running s lot the last few days and my new rifle has done rust dust on the barrel and the bolt. I was able to rub it off with a towel but I'm worried about the inside of it. I ring have cash for a safe until the end of the month. Is this okay? Will it ruin my weapon? What should I do? Am I just being paranoid?

Get some Rem Oil or Barricade and just coat it with the oil. When you get your safe, figure in an extra $30 for dehumidifier. Problems solved.

Thanks for this.

So so the oil is sufficient? How does this affect during the weapon at the range? So I put it inside the barrel?

A light coat an all metal surdaces inside and out.

I will pick some up tomorrow. What should I use to apply to inside of the barrel? Also what would you define as a light coat? This won't affect it firing? Also I know I probably sound dumb and paranoid, but it shouldn't be ruined from the light rust dusting right?

Any AC unit is a dehumidifier in itself. If it's running a lot then it's dryer in your living space. Are you storing it in the basement or perhaps in a case? Sometimes that can be counter productive. The case can sometimes hold moisture.

Any AC unit is a dehumidifier in itself. If it's running a lot then it's dryer in your living space. Are you storing it in the basement or perhaps in a case? Sometimes that can be counter productive. The case can sometimes hold moisture.

Im storing it in a closet. I noticed the AC was on "auto", we changed it to "dry".

Its a older house, and it's been pretty humid in NH this season. Is it possible the humidity is just getting in the house and kicking my ass?

i really don't want to ruin my rifle.

I will pick some up tomorrow. What should I use to apply to inside of the barrel? Also what would you define as a light coat? This won't affect it firing? Also I know I probably sound dumb and paranoid, but it shouldn't be ruined from the light rust dusting right?

I use CLP
http://www.amazon.com/Break-Free-Cl...ds&ie=UTF8&qid=1441068643&sr=1-4&keywords=clp

applied with a bore snake
http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-BoreSn...THAKP4EB&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL320_SR168,320_

I have a small bottle and a snake with me at the range and just pass it through three times when I'm done shooting. I also have a rag with me to wipe down the outsides with some CLP.

My portable ac leaked an rusted my ak. Ak was t
Here because i was trying to diagnose some problems. Clean it off and oil it. Wet a cloth with oil and run it through the barrel. Or get some remoil wipes. Even a bore snake. You can always run something dry through the barrel to get a good amount of the oil out of the barel at the rangle. Should be ok though

Last edited:
Im storing it in a closet. I noticed the AC was on "auto", we changed it to "dry".

Its a older house, and it's been pretty humid in NH this season. Is it possible the humidity is just getting in the house and kicking my ass?

i really don't want to ruin my rifle.

Well oxidation only happens from exposure to moisture but I wouldn't worry about little surface rust speckles. Just oil it.

Lol.

So good guys? I just need to stop being a noob tomorrow, and grab some r oil.

Hows we the spray vs the wipes? I also intend on grabbing a bore snake. And hell... Some more ammo while I'm at it.

If I come off like a dick sorry lol.
It sounds like you don't know any thing about guns.

You need to oil guns since you have metal moving on metal . You also need to clean them, depending on the finish you might need todo it more often .

Look up gun cleaning videos on YouTube . Watch a bunch .

If I come off like a dick sorry lol.
It sounds like you don't know any thing about guns.

You need to oil guns since you have metal moving on metal . You also need to clean them, depending on the finish you might need todo it more often .

Look up gun cleaning videos on YouTube . Watch a bunch .

Not sounding like a dick. I mean my title is pretty explicit, I'm a brand new gun owner. We all have to start somewhere do t we? That's why I'm reaching out to you guys. We are all here for the same reason.

Just whipe it down with some oiled cotton T shirt scraps. Hard enough to remove the specks but not disturb the finish.

Perfect. Now what should I oil? The barrel and inside the barrel? And all metal parts? It's bolt action, do I oil the bolt? Or inside the chamber where the bolt slides?

Zerust bags/capsules/etc work great , especially if you have a damp house/cellar- pretty cheap too - order >$20 & they ship free
the tabs & matts are good for reloading die boxes, tool boxes...
http://www.zerustproducts.com/products/product-category/firearms-ammo-weapons/
http://www.zerustproducts.com/products/product-category/electronics-tools-parts/

Your guns have two enemies.... Rust & Politicians!

ps light oil on the bore from a boresnake or oily patch followed by dry one should be good
heavy oil in the bore can act as an obstruction :(

also wipe down after handling with silicone cloth or oily rag to prevent rusty fingerprints (throw out rags after to prevent fire hazard)

Last edited:
Perfect. Now what should I oil? The barrel and inside the barrel? And all metal parts? It's bolt action, do I oil the bolt? Or inside the chamber where the bolt slides?

LIGHT coat on all metal. even inside the barrel. Wipe any excess with a soft cloth.

CLP is your friend for this. I love the smell of CLP in the morning

Zerust bags/capsules/etc work great , especially if you have a damp house/cellar- pretty cheap too - order >$20 & they ship free
the tabs & matts are good for reloading die boxes, tool boxes...
http://www.zerustproducts.com/products/product-category/firearms-ammo-weapons/
http://www.zerustproducts.com/products/product-category/electronics-tools-parts/

Your guns have two enemies.... Rust & Politicians!

Thr the oil seems pretty straight forward... I kind of want to pick something I can get at my local Dicks sporting goods... I'm pretty paranoid now and want to make sure my rifle is getting oiled tomorrow night.

- - - Updated - - -

LIGHT coat on all metal. even inside the barrel. Wipe any excess with a soft cloth.

CLP is your friend for this. I love the smell of CLP in the morning

Can I get CLP at a local shop? Like a dicks sporting goods?

Light coat of oil on the outside of the barrel and any other exposed metal. Very light oil in the barrel, but run a dry patch or a bore snake through it before shooting it. Thin film of oil on the outside of the bolt. To save yourself some headaches, when you're getting the gun oil, look around for silicon impregnated gun cloths. You can use them to give your gun a quick wipe whenever you handle it and save yourself from the rust monsters. This becomes especially important if you're out shooting it in the heat. Your hands are going to sweat and wherever you touch will rust. Gotta get that off in a hurry.

This has all been super great info. So you guys think my rifle will be ok until 6pm tomorrow?
best way to make sure is to fill your tub and keep it under water. Make sure no air hits it. Lol jk. You should be good. Just wipe the rust off and oil it tomorrow. You can pick up oil at and local gun shop or walmart. Yea dicks to if you dont mind shopping there.

Thr the oil seems pretty straight forward... I kind of want to pick something I can get at my local Dicks sporting goods... I'm pretty paranoid now and want to make sure my rifle is getting oiled tomorrow night.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I get CLP at a local shop? Like a dicks sporting goods?

Walmart carries it. So do many shops. The wipes are not particularly good value, but opinions vary.

I'm not far off the noob status myself even though I've owned for several years now. YouTube is your friend for so many things gun related. You struggled at first with how much lubricant/when/where on my first handgun and my lockbox ended up looking like the Valdez spill. You'll get the hang of it. Don't panic and trust yourself. Unless it's about whether the gun is empty. In that case check again. Then one more time.

I'm not far off the noob status myself even though I've owned for several years now. YouTube is your friend for so many things gun related. You struggled at first with how much lubricant/when/where on my first handgun and my lockbox ended up looking like the Valdez spill. You'll get the hang of it. Don't panic and trust yourself. Unless it's about whether the gun is empty. In that case check again. Then one more time.

Solid advice. YouTube anything you want to learn about. I changed my last car's alternator using YouTube.

I also learned about what not to do as a newbie. Above all and more important than fun is safety. Make sure the chamber and mag well are empty.

Back
Top Bottom