"New" gun law in MA on High Cap?

I don't know if GOAL has updated their "law book" but last I looked at their printed material and website, there were significant items that were incorrect or out of date. I received my (excellent) BP/HFS instructor training from Jon Green ~2009 and we were handed legal info and the last I worked a GOAL table at a gun show (1 show after the BOD over-throw) we were still handing out the same info and not all of it was correct. ...

I think they might have a table at the Marlborough show this weekend. Maybe someone can check.

(What was this "BOD over-throw"? Was this the thing about the newspaper?)

I have a law degree, I've been hanging around here for 6+ years now, and I've been active enough buying, selling, owning and shooting over that time to run into plenty of questions that I was curious enough to research answers for, and I know that I sure as shit wouldn't feel comfortable standing in front of a room full of paying customers taking questions and advising them on MA gun laws. The laws are too much of a mess and the stakes are too high.

Then don't be an instructor

The MA gun laws are a mess to read and I can see why people get confused. However, someone teaching an NRA Safety Course should stick to teaching gun safety and not give legal advice since this is not in the scope of the class.

The MA gun laws are a mess to read and I can see why people get confused. However, someone teaching an NRA Safety Course should stick to teaching gun safety and not give legal advice since this is not in the scope of the class.
I dont think you understand. People in MA take the safety course(mostly) in order to get a MA State Police aprooved Basic Firearms Safety Certificate. NRA courses cover this requirement, however instructors are REQUIRED to teach MA law. That REQUIRED word means that if I issue a certificate for a BFS cert and havent covered law, I have committed a crime. I can teach the NRA course without it and you will get an NRA cert, but you wouldnt get the BFS cert that the police will require to issue an LTC or FID.

Last edited:
The MA gun laws are a mess to read and I can see why people get confused.

A mess of confusion in MA gun laws?...
Yet ironically Frau Maura Hochstetter always seems to be able to easily wade through the mess, whenever she gets the urge to screw another law-abiding peaceful citizen of the CommonPuke of LiberChusetts (just as easily as Commandant Coakley waded through the same mess during her reign of terror)...

Just sayin'

There IS a new law against manspreading in SF though...thank Gawd!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/22/san-francisco-takes-aim-at-manspreading.html?intcmp=hplnws
...and we sit here and wonder what's wrong with America!!!
I don't think too many of us sit here and wonder what's wrong with America. Most of us know exactly what's "wrong", therefore we sit here and wonder what to actually DO about it...(or, more accurately, wonder what we actually CAN do about it).

Just sayin'

Last edited:

I notice you seem to be from RI, so you are probably not clear on the concept.

1. A MA safety course does not "count" for licensing unless it results in issuance of the MA certificate. The NRA certificate does not count.

2. In order to issue the MA state certificate, a course must include a MA law component.

On another forum someone posted that they could only get 10rnd magazines in his area and that he'd have to go out of state to get higher cap magazines. Must have been a recent graduate of this course.

On another forum someone posted that they could only get 10rnd magazines in his area and that he'd have to go out of state to get higher cap magazines. Must have been a recent graduate of this course.

MA resident? While not untrue, perhaps ill-advised.

In other states, that can be the case.

Maryland:

"Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland.

Probably just gives zero ****s about the AWB, more likely. Setting the legal peril issue aside, I've been noticing more and more people that just don't care anymore.

-Mike

I had small class yesterday. Because of this thread I spent extra time on this subject.

I explained mag limits, pre ban etc... I held up a pre ban mag and asked if I could legally use it in my post ban AR. Then I asked about the reverse.

My friend's wife, who was a student asked. "Why would anyone buy a ten round magazine when you can just buy one of those pre ban ones with thirty?"

If she wasn't already married...

MA resident? While not untrue, perhaps ill-advised.

In other states, that can be the case.

Maryland:

"Illegal to purchase, sell or manufacture magazines with a capacity of greater than 10 rounds within Maryland. However, possession of magazines greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland.
I assumed MA but could be elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom