New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Fritz the Cat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! Been lurking for months while I wait for my LTC. I took my class in July 2019, called my PD and they gave me an August 15th appointment to apply/fingerprint/photo. Was told 4 month at the time. It's now been almost 5 months but last time I called the status hotline my application had finally changed to approved by local PD. I am hoping I am only weeks away at this point.

Located in Pittsfield, MA. Once my LTC is approved plan to join Lee or lenox sportsmen's club(or both?) And am interested in competitive pistol shooting. It's been 20ish years since I shoot back in boy scouts but look forward to getting back in the hobby.

-Matt
I'm just a bit south of you. Lee is a really nice facility. I've shot there numerous times over the years. Never tried Lenox.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isaac from Southern VT here, just joined yesterday. I mainly joined to list/browse the classifieds but looks like lots of other good info. I'm still figuring my way around the site, I know I cannot post in the classifieds yet but I can't find what I need to do to gain access, any help? I read the rules but didn't see anything there about new members.

Matt5

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isaac from Southern VT here, just joined yesterday. I mainly joined to list/browse the classifieds but looks like lots of other good info. I'm still figuring my way around the site, I know I cannot post in the classifieds yet but I can't find what I need to do to gain access, any help? I read the rules but didn't see anything there about new members.
You need to be a paid member to post in the classfieds. Look at the NES membership forum for details.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
New Member looooong time lurker here. My primary interest is rifle competition. I shoot Highpower and PRS. Hopefully I can add something to the discussions here.
Welcome to NES. Looking forward to your input. I have been thinking about getting into more long range stuff, but it's tough to find a place that offers more that 300 yards in Mass.

Dave Marshall

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For over 300 yards in Mass I beIieve your options are limited to Reading, Granby, and Woodcock in Dartmouth.

Reading’s matches are open to the public. If you’re willing to drive, Scarborough Fish and Game is really stepping up their rifle program with open range days and some good entry level teaching days. The range there is 600yards.

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome all! [cheers] I apologize for the lack of welcoming new folks. For some reason, I don't always get alerted to new posts in threads even tho they are marked as "watch" 🤷‍♀️

Hey everyone! Long time lurker but finally took the time to register on a slow day at work. 25, live in mass work on the cape. About to buy my first home(yikes)! Had my LTC since I was 21, love shooting and as weird as it sounds it’s kind of relaxing. Not much to say about me, so that’s all. Hello everyone!
Welcome Toaster. Glad you finally took the time to be a member and even wrote us a little introduction post. Congrats on your (soon to be?) home. Not weird at all thinking that shooting relaxing. It's because it! Just you and a little pew pew pew. See you around the forum.

Cheers and stay safe out there,
-Cindy [mg]

Hi all! Been lurking for months while I wait for my LTC. I took my class in July 2019, called my PD and they gave me an August 15th appointment to apply/fingerprint/photo. Was told 4 month at the time. It's now been almost 5 months but last time I called the status hotline my application had finally changed to approved by local PD. I am hoping I am only weeks away at this point.

Located in Pittsfield, MA. Once my LTC is approved plan to join Lee or lenox sportsmen's club(or both?) And am interested in competitive pistol shooting. It's been 20ish years since I shoot back in boy scouts but look forward to getting back in the hobby.

-Matt
Hi Matt! Now that you've had plenty of time to lurk and shop around, what's your first gun going to be? Inquiring minds are on the edge of their computer chairs! Hopefully, by now, you've received "the call"? Let us know! See you around.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Hi Isaac, welcome to NES! As Matt5 mentioned, you'll need to be a green (paid) member to list stuff in the classifieds. Welcome the community and hopefully, you'll join in on the fun on various threads in the forum.

Stay safe out there,
Cindy [mg]

New Member looooong time lurker here. My primary interest is rifle competition. I shoot Highpower and PRS. Hopefully I can add something to the discussions here.
Hello Dave, welcome! Great to see that you're posting to introduce yourself to us. Thanks for going green and supporting a truly wonderful community that's full of knowledge and experience. Being a long time lurker already, I'm sure you've found your way to the comp shooting section but in case you haven't, absolutely check it out: Northeastshooters.com Forums

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Toytowninc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi folks, been hangaround for a year. Finally went green this week. I dont do facebook or anything so this is literally my only social media. 31, male north central ma. Winchendon Rod & Gun is my home range. Into milsurps, history,realistic training and severely addicted to buying. Half for shooting and half as investments. Found the forum very resourceful. Headed home to assemble my first ever AR. Never been into them, always stuck with pistols and bolt action & SKS rifles. Came across cheap AR parts with preban lower so figured why not.

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi folks, been hangaround for a year. Finally went green this week. I dont do facebook or anything so this is literally my only social media. 31, male north central ma. Winchendon Rod & Gun is my home range. Into milsurps, history,realistic training and severely addicted to buying. Half for shooting and half as investments. Found the forum very resourceful. Headed home to assemble my first ever AR. Never been into them, always stuck with pistols and bolt action & SKS rifles. Came across cheap AR parts with preban lower so figured why not.
Hi Toytown, welcome to NES! Glad to have you here. Thanks for supporting the community by going green! GL with the AR build. Folks in the Build It Yourself section or Gun Gallery would love to your new toy when you're done, I'm sure of it 😍

Have fun and cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Matt5

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt! Now that you've had plenty of time to lurk and shop around, what's your first gun going to be? Inquiring minds are on the edge of their computer chairs! Hopefully, by now, you've received "the call"? Let us know! See you around.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]
I think I want a p320 x5 legion for competition, maybe a mp shield for carry. But honestly, once I finally get the call, I'll probably plan a trip to mass firearms school and rent a few before I decide.

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I want a p320 x5 legion for competition, maybe a mp shield for carry. But honestly, once I finally get the call, I'll probably plan a trip to mass firearms school and rent a few before I decide.
That is a great choice. Try out as many guns as you can reasonably afford to rent and see what you like best.

Jd1973

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Just wanted to say hello and thank you to all that have a part in making this site what it is. I've gotten a lot of good info and useful tips from this site. After lurking for awhile, I was happy to sign up as a member and try to give a little back. Hoping my LTC process comes back soon, so I can hit some of the shops noted here and find something to use at my club in Marshfield. Thanks for having me!

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,
Just wanted to say hello and thank you to all that have a part in making this site what it is. I've gotten a lot of good info and useful tips from this site. After lurking for awhile, I was happy to sign up as a member and try to give a little back. Hoping my LTC process comes back soon, so I can hit some of the shops noted here and find something to use at my club in Marshfield. Thanks for having me!
Hi Jd, welcome to NES. Thank you so much for your support of this community by going green. Glad you found lots of great information here! I also did too when I first got into guns. Many others as well. Good luck on your LTC. I hope you get it really soon. Did you narrow down some choices yet as your first? See you around the forum.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Hi there! Long time lurker, but wanted to say hello.... Len S knows me well.....From another Forum, and I've "Enabled" him a few times.....
Hi Class3NH! welcome to NES. Thanks for the introduction as your first post. Don't be shy now [cheers] Len is a great guy. Happy to call him my friend as well.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jd, welcome to NES. Thank you so much for your support of this community by going green. Glad you found lots of great information here! I also did too when I first got into guns. Many others as well. Good luck on your LTC. I hope you get it really soon. Did you narrow down some choices yet as your first? See you around the forum.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Hi Class3NH! welcome to NES. Thanks for the introduction as your first post. Don't be shy now [cheers] Len is a great guy. Happy to call him my friend as well.

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]
Thanks Mini !! I've been a Ma Resident, former FFL and SOT in Mass..( been carrying for over 45 Years, had my LTC at 19 but couldn't buy a Handgun... Got my "Green Card" at 23 yrs old and have a "Few" Form 4 type guns...... made the jump to NH 20 years ago...Still in the "Gun Game" working P/T for another FFL slightly North of Portsmouth.. KTP.....I may have "enabled " you at some point in time too LOL

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.1%
52   1   0
Hi there! Long time lurker, but wanted to say hello.... Len-2A knows me well.....From another Forum, and I've "Enabled" him a few times.....
Well, welcome to NES! Yes indeed, and I expect to see you more often. We are moving to NH permanently, probably in March (assuming no snow or mud to impact movers at either end). I hope all is well with you.

Jd1973

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]

Cheers,
Cindy [mg]
Thanks Cindy, not sure what I'll buy first. I've tried several different handguns. I'm sure I'll end up buying more than one on my first visit though.

minininjer

NES Door Greeter
NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Mini !! I've been a Ma Resident, former FFL and SOT in Mass..( been carrying for over 45 Years, had my LTC at 19 but couldn't buy a Handgun... Got my "Green Card" at 23 yrs old and have a "Few" Form 4 type guns...... made the jump to NH 20 years ago...Still in the "Gun Game" working P/T for another FFL slightly North of Portsmouth.. KTP.....I may have "enabled " you at some point in time too LOL
I'm not even sure if I want to know what you may have "enabled" me at some point. Dare I ask for clarification? o_O [laugh]

Last edited:

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello all! My name is Christian and live in Grafton, Ma and I am in the process of getting my LTC, I handed in my application about a week ago and hope to have it soon! Thanks for the approval to join.
Welcome aboard.
I hope your town issues quickly. Some towns do not.

But do not get discouraged, that is what they want. They want it to be such a pain in the ass that people won't bother. Use this time to research what guns you might be interested in. (Notice that I wrote guns? Plural. Yeah... we know)
Pro tip: The recently improved forum search function works very well. Many of the questions you have or will have, have been discussed and you can certainly jump right in to a thread with your own questions/ opinion about a subject.
Every thing from favorite carry guns, ammo, holsters and belts, you name it. It's probably in here.

Dadof3Girlz

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Brad and I joined awhile ago but didn't know there was a thread like this. I live in Haverhill and I have had my LTC for almost a year now. I'm a member at HHRG and love to bring friends and new shooters down to the club to throw rounds down range and make a mess with the brass.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome!!!
Our laws suck, but MD is much worse.

I moved 10 years ago, so some things may have changed, but here's my checklist.

1) Bring your guns with you on moving day. If you bring them in later you have to register them with the state. Lock them up (safe, locking hard case or trigger locks) and don't touch them until you get your license. You have a 60 day grace period to store (not use) them without a license.

2) When you apply for your license, apply for the LTC (license to carry pistols concealed). The cost and process is the same. Even if you only have long guns get your LTC. There's no reason not to.

3) If you can, take the state required safety course before you move. It gets you a jump on the requirements to apply. Your town and the state must process your application in 40 days, but many MA towns ignore that law and it can take longer.

4) You'll need a (temp) MA driver's license. For that you'll need proof of residency. An appartment contract, utility bill or similar works. As soon as you move in, get that MA temp driver's license then apply for your LTC.

Before I moved I came into MA and took the firearms safety course weeks before I moved. The day after we moved in (with my guns) I took the house rental contract to the RMV and walked out with my temp driver's license. I think I had pre-arranged the application appointment with the town PD for 2 days after we moved. I'm in a pro-2A town and it 57 days to get my LTC.

AKR

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, lurking for a while and finally decided to join. Looks like a great site with a lot of info for MA and NH. I live metrowest Boston. I used to belong to Harvard years ago but let the membership lapse due to time / family. Kids are older now do I am getting back into it. I do most of my shooting on ME (family property) but I am considering joining here in MA again.

Hockeyguy3291

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been here about a year but here's my first post! *Anyone in MA, what's a reasonable amount of land you would need to safely/legally create a decent short range in your yard, maybe 50-100 yds range? I live in a densely populated area but going to be searching in the next couple years for a new place to move. Any insight is appreciated.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to site. Just got LTC a few months ago. Just purchased first hand gun. From MA so I am interested in learning all the laws pertaining to my “friendly” state....looking forward to all the great articles...

Fritz the Cat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been here about a year but here's my first post! *Anyone in MA, what's a reasonable amount of land you would need to safely/legally create a decent short range in your yard, maybe 50-100 yds range? I live in a densely populated area but going to be searching in the next couple years for a new place to move. Any insight is appreciated.
I'd say you need about 50 to 100 yards. ;)

Top Bottom