1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Admin, Aug 6, 2007.

1. MicrosoftSam

MicrosoftSam

Hi everybody! I'm a former NJ resident now living in the great state of Washington, which unfortunately is going through some changes with its gun laws this summer. Recently, an acquaintance of mine inherited a number of firearms from a family member and has no interest in owning them, so I'm helping him get rid of them. While digging through some of his long guns, I realized a number of them date to pre-94 AWB and thought to myself, "What if we got these back into circulation in ban states like CT and MA?" Two birds with one stone, help out a fellow shooter in a ban state while simultaneously sticking it to the gun grabbers. As a former ban state resident, I understand the pain and BS you guys are going through.

2. minininjer

minininjer NES Door Greeter NES Member

Hi MicrosoftSam! Welcome to NES. Not sure if you're asking a specific question or just giving us some 411 on your situation... either way, not sure this is the best thread to discuss that if you actually wanted to generate any talk about it. I'd try starting your own new thread in the "General Discussion" section or doing a search on the site for any specific questions you may have. Either way, thanks for signing up and look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Cheers,
    Cindy [mg]

3. Ligas

Ligas

Thanks, Cindy. I did have a question in regards to these forums. Please forgive if it is right in front of me, as I haven't been involved with forums in a very long time, but I am having trouble posting new threads. There is also an alert that I have insufficient privileges to rely to posts. How do you gave those privileges? Thanks for any response.

4. minininjer

Hi Ligas. I guess it depends on what kind of threads you’re talking about. If you’re talking about posting a classified ad for someone you want to sell, you have to be a green (paid) member to do that, I believe. And if you want to reply to an ad (like if you’re interested in someone’s item), you can’t rely to those threads. You’ll have to private message them instead, I think.

With all that said, I’m not an admin or mod here, I’m just sayin hi to people :) if you need further help and can’t figure out how to post a new thread, if you can figure out how to PM me, you can do that or if not, post again here and I’ll try my best to help you.

5. OwenC

OwenC

Hello everyone. My name is Owen, I just moved to Vermont after 20 years away from New England. I'm still mourning the loss of my Texas citizenship, but I'll get over it someday. I moved here for work. I've been shooting since I was 9, competing since I was 11, and working in the industry since 1998.

Choctaw and Fritz the Cat like this.
  6. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

Welcome back, and I'm sorry for your loss.
    So I can only think of two careers in VT. Let's see if I can guess. Either Homeland Security or milking cows.
    Is it one of those?

minininjer and Len-2A Training like this.
  7. Gusp

Gusp

Hi all, new member here, although not new to the site. I've been lurking for a good while (not all long-time lurkers are AG plants, by the way). My name is not actually Gus, and my birthday is not really what I entered when I joined, but hopefully that is OK.

I really enjoy guns and shooting, although I am not a particularly great shot, don't compete etc. I have a modest stable of firearms; not a particularly large collection or much that is rare or exotic to brag about. I do reload for several calibers and I cast boolits for several, but am just emerging from over a year's worth of divorce after a long-term marriage and during the past year or so had to dial shooting back quite a bit, so I'm really just getting back into it.

I live in a pretty rural area with a very low population density for this part of the country. While not much of a hunter, I'm hoping that I might get my first deer this fall on my own property. I have had to shoot a quite few animals over the years though, sometimes in my underwear, that were predating the livestock I raised.

Mostly I just like guns and plinking, from .22 to .45-70. Despite not having that much in the way of a collection I'm especially interested in historical guns, revolvers, blued steel and walnut etc., but I like modern plastic guns too, in a variety of calibers and especially small concealment arms. History, mechanics, and practical use are equally interesting for me.

I tend not to be that great on keeping up with forums, but who knows, this one might be different. I have gained a lot from reading here over the last couple years and glad I now can click on pictures, etc. Who knows, I might chime in on a discussion once in a while. So I just wanted to introduce myself in case anyone wanted to know who I was if I happened to weigh in. Thanks to the founder, mods and all the thoughtful participants in this forum. You may commence hazing, if you wish.

Gusp

8. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

Well you just described 90% of NES

minininjer and cockpitbob like this.
  9. boudiepitbull

boudiepitbull

I borrowed my screen name from a former beloved pet...so call me Boudie. Think of me as sort of an open minded Fudd. I moved to Vermont after living in New York City for 40 years. I came looking for good motorcycling, a place that was 2A friendly, and in the throes of the opioid crisis so I could continue my third and final career in life as a substance abuse counselor. Vermont has it all. It's safe to say I have old guy tastes in shooting (that Fudd thing again) and collect S&W revolvers, .22 target pistols, and despite owning assorted Rugers, Brownings, Berettas, CZs, and Walthers, own absolutely no polymer semi-autos at all (...Fudd!!!). I'd call myself a novice handloader and since I don't hunt, tend to keep my interest in loading more in the bunny fart target zone rather than working up those full on grizzly bear dropping kind of loads. That's pretty much my story and I look forward to hanging out here with you all for a while.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    minininjer and Fritz the Cat like this.
  10. minininjer

I would argue... at least 95% ;)

Fritz the Cat likes this.
  11. minininjer

Open minded fudd is better than close minded fudd. Welcome! "bunny fart target zone". I like you [laugh][laugh][laugh] Welcome welcome, I hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to you contributing to the community and chiming in on the threads where you see fit.

Cheers,
    Cindy [mg]

12. Remote Camper

Remote Camper

Hey guys new guy.
    I live up here in Maine, have been a member of several forums since the beginning of the interwebs.
    I am BISHOP on other forums, but this forum said that my name was taken, no problem.

I collect, build and play with the EBRs and try to keep up with latest accessories, but couldn't tell you about Mausers or standard hunting rifles.
    I have a crappy youtube channel too where I have crappy vids (none monitized anymore).
    My latest toy is the Spikes Tactical M79 37mm launcher.

RC

13. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

A crappy youtoob channel is better than my non-existent youtoob channel.
    Post a link to your channel, inspire us.

minininjer likes this.
  14. Remote Camper

Remote Camper

Sorry. Same name. Just type in Remotecamper..... One word.
    Please leave coments or questions. I love them, and will get back to anyone quickly usually.

RC

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  15. chuckules

chuckules

Hi I’m Chuck living in East Bridgewater, MA. “New?” Sort of... I joined TEN YEARS AGO... o_O but never posted until yesterday! (A lot of lurking though on the WTS Handguns board).

I’ve been a shooter for about 20 years when I started hunting (which I’ve since given up on...).

How did I hear about this site? Well, probably no surprise...I forget...

ETA State

16. Bullets n BBQ

Bullets n BBQ

Hello All,

I joined the forum in 2017, today I realized I never introduced myself.

Grew up in MA, moved to VT at the start of last year. My interests in guns are pretty broad, old, new, metal, plastic, I enjoy them all, but I generally like shooting handguns more than rifles. Casually into archery too.

17. minininjer

You know... for a guy with a "crappy" youtube channel, you've got a decent amount of subscribers :cool: Welcomes to NES! Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Cheers,
    Cindy [mg]

Wow... welcome to your first posts on NES. Look forward to seeing more from you, Chuck!

Cheers,
    Cindy [mg]

Hi, welcome, thanks for the intro post. Looks like you also like BBQ... there's a BBQ thread floating around somewhere...

Cheers,
    Cindy [mg]

chuckules likes this.
  18. chuckules

chuckules

Thank you!

minininjer likes this.
  19. Ribeye

Ribeye

Hi everyone,

I am living in MA and just starting my LTC application process (with a lawyer, to make sure I don't mess up anything).

I shot .22 rifles as a kid at summer camp in West Virginia, and more recently I've shot handguns a few times with one of my best friends from college who is a gun enthusiast. (He is in VA, which is where I'm from.)

Anyway, I found this site and I've been reading up on the MA law section. I'll keep reading stuff and learning more.

Anyone have suggested resources for learning about guns? (Terminology, etc?)

20. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Welcome aboard Ribeye!
    I found this place the same way you did, researching the batshitcrazy gun laws before moving (back) to MA.

Besides this place and other web resources, probably the best way to learn more is to join a local gun club. There's no replacement for being with people.

If you're going to get into handguns, getting some formal training is the way to go. Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent. It took me a long time to undo some self-taught bad habits. In the long run a little training saves money as well as frustration and time.

21. Bobby_Hill

Bobby_Hill

Hey everyone. I'm a hopeful to get a MA LTC, it's pretty much the main reason I joined. I shot shotguns and .22 at boy scout camp years back and getting into it on my own has been something I've wanted for awhile but was kind of deterred by the process involved and not really having any friends or family also in the hobby. I'd like to shoot a handgun, that's something I've never done. Anyway I decided to finally do it. I, err, got into some trouble awhile back so I'm not sure if MA will grant me a license. If that happens my likelihood of moving to NH goes up by a factor of 10.

22. Glock Victim

Glock Victim NES Member

Hello from Nashua, NH. Joined yesterday or Saturday maybe, went green today. Not sure how I found this site. Lots of good info discovered here, has not disappointed. GONH member, GOA Patriot member. Shooting, hunting, fishing, just being in the woods. 3%

23. Walks

Walks

Glad to be here.
    I'd really like to find out what it's like for the those Gun Folks on the other Coast.
    Thanks

24. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

Are you on the left coast?

25. MK0506

MK0506 NES Member

Hello. Been a member here for sometime but I think my paid membership has expired. Looking to use the classified section to clear out my locker. Can you direct me to a link or info on how to renew? Thank you, Mike

26. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

NES Memberships

27. Oncastillo

Oncastillo

Hi all!
    I’m a MA resident, wish I was somewhere else but this has been my home forever.
    Joined a few days ago and I don’t exactly know how I came upon this site and thought it was a good idea to be part of it for educational purposes and to meet other gun enthusiasts as myself.
    My history with weapons extends for a number of years. Spent 7+ years in the Army and my main MOS (job) was a weapons/towed artillery repairer (45B). I also served as a unit armor while stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC and was a shop foreman until I left for the civilian world.
    Loved working on all types of guns.
    Currently I have some 45’s but am thinking of getting some 9mm’s and who knows what else.
    Anyways just thought of introducing myself to everyone here.
    N

28. ralph areps

ralph areps NES Member

Hey everyone! My name is Rob, been shooting since I was a kid, got my LTC last year in MA. My wife is going through the process now. Just wanted to introduce myself. Found the site by looking up information on getting LTC and if i lived in a green town ( I do). Thanks for all the information!

cockpitbob and gscott like this.
  29. sacksjacked

sacksjacked NES Member

Welcome to the Green Side Chuck [cheers]

chuckules likes this.
  30. sacksjacked

sacksjacked NES Member

Welcome Rob. You will find a ton of helpful info on NES and a ton of great members. Enjoy!

ralph areps likes this.