New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

Guys, this is reality tv. There always is an imposible dead line, it's always something only they can do and nobody can do it better, there lots screw ups to fix and someone is always pissed. They follow the recipe to a T.

There are quite a few folks lurking around in this forum who think otherwise. [thinking]

Yeah, to each his own. There are plenty who like the whole "It's gotta be done tomorrow" bit too. To me she's nothing special. The fact that she works around guns and shoots adds points but I can't stand the voice.

Guys, this is reality tv. There always is an imposible dead line, it's always something only they can do and nobody can do it better, there lots screw ups to fix and someone is always pissed. They follow the recipe to a T.

They are basically using the American Chopper playbook.

They have a MK.19 on the table with practice rounds in that video where hes saying "it fires little bombs."
Yeah, because HEDP rounds are cheap, easy to come by, and able to shoot at most ranges.

IAS, real Mk.19 practice rounds (not the stupid M203 paint markers) are exactly that. Go stand out at 1000 yards. I'll launch some your way and you tell me if the brown note factor hasn't set in.

I think everyone around here is a bit hard on the show. At least it's something pro-2A. If it was technically complicated enough to be at the level of interest of most NESer's, it wouldn't be on because no one else would watch it.

Last edited:
Yeah, because HEDP rounds are cheap, easy to come by, and able to shoot at most ranges.

IAS, real Mk.19 practice rounds (not the stupid M203 paint markers) are exactly that. Go stand out at 1000 yards. I'll launch some your way and you tell me if the brown note factor hasn't set in.

I think everyone around here is a bit hard on the show. At least it's something pro-2A. If it was technically complicated enough to be at the level of interest of most NESer's, it wouldn't be on because no one else would watch it.

IAS? I dont know what that means.

I never said anything negative about the practice rounds. I was trying to connect the audio to the part of the video that showed the MK.19, which was in pieces on the table since I'm under the impression that most people on NES who were not in the military are not going to be able to recognize it immediately as a MK.19.

Also, I was a MK.19 gunner in the Army. 1,000 yards? Lets try 1,500 meters, professor.

I have seen some of there AR work over the years. They are some of the best AR builders out there wich surprises me seeing how crude there methods are using a old a cnc.

I have seen some of there AR work over the years. They are some of the best AR builders out there wich surprises me seeing how crude there methods are using a old a cnc.
No offense to gunsmiths, but 99% of gunsmithing is pretty crude machine-work...

They are pretty simple mechanical devices as mechanical devices go...

I tried to like it but it just seemed so staged it turned me off.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I tried to like it but it just seemed so staged it turned me off.

This is the problem I have with it. The show is so staged it takes away from the guns. Not many actually useful firearms are produced on the show, but they are damned sure to put as much reality tv drama into it as possible.

Just curious, what is it that you see that separates their AR builds from other shops?

much more drama and yelling is involved in their production.... the emotional tension and sound waves from the yelling strengthen the aluminum and make for a better performing rifle....

It was assembled in anger and therefore performs better when it's time for business.

No offense to gunsmiths, but 99% of gunsmithing is pretty crude machine-work...

They are pretty simple mechanical devices as mechanical devices go...

Really, gunsmithing is crude machine work? Maybe for people that think you actually build an AR and not assemble one

Last edited:
Really, gunsmithing is crude machine work? Maybe for people that think you actually build an AR and not assemble on
Compared to what can be done with CNC? Yes... Which is why they only need a comparatively ancient machine to do what they need to do...

Compare to what a racing engine builder does... the tolerances are much wider, the parts easier to deal with/smaller, but not small. The basic function of the device is simple and relatively easy to test. Balance is largely a static issue. The dynamic forces can be largely dealt with "iteratively" (i.e. keep shaving until it works).

Heat treating and finish require artistry and skill, but my point was that most gunsmithing simply does not require high-end machine equipment to do well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom