• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

Just watched that episode onDemand. The idea seemed interesting but if SHTF and the boat had to be ditched then you'd lose a weapon systems, where as you can remove a 240 and not have to worry about a water cooling system.

There are two Guard SF groups the 19th (Utah) and 20th (Alabama), don't think they have any detachments in Louisiana, but they do have one in Massachusetts (I've seen them every now again at Devens). I was thinking they could be a Navy special warfare combat crewman team (SWCC), but i thought they were all active units and commanded by and O-5 (and with much cooler toys).

The 256 is ICBT, the new light infantry type (the 256 special troops bat includes special units like a engineer signal and the HH companies, but i didn't see any water units). The 3/156 is light infantry under the 256, regular ground pounders.

Well, the LA NG media relations people disagree but this is not surprising. They get paid to massage the truth. It's all complete BS then.

Its BS simply because there is no reason to have a dual F/A water-cooled M16 setup. Nobody would want that. I wouldn't even want that as a civilian.

Super secret squirrel stuff, that shows their "operators" and "CO's" on the discovery channel for everyone to see?

Mike

If they wanted to be heavy handed on the river they could mount a MK.19 on the boat like they have been doing since Vietnam.

All the projects done on this show have been utter bs. Nobody woudl want / need dual m16's there are much better firearms made to preform the task requested. The 1919 convert to hand held was a KIT that has been available for a long time. This show is made for the general public if you have any understanding of firearms or have read a firearms magazine then you know it ain't real .

One should also note that If there where a military unit wanting to buy a "custom" made weapon for a specific purpose they woudl go to the armory to see what was available. Next IF they did go to ta outside source they woudl NOT let it be filmed nor viewed on public airwaves ( unless they are trying to fool someone onto thinking we are real stupid ) it just aint done.

Last even the "Mercenaries" woudl not want there "toys" shown to all. The multi toy rocket launcher comes to mind. If you whee to try to deploy such a device ( stupid and useless as it would be in real life ) also woudl NOT want this on tv. At least not any that woudl have more then one mission..

This show if you really watch and pay close attention is scripted and is for entertainment and has almost ZERO factual or actual basis in reality.

I finally just watched that dual M16 show all the way through.

What a train wreck.

Who needs M249's, M240's, MK.19's, & Mini Guns when you can have water cooled M16's???

I finally just watched that dual M16 show all the way through.

What a train wreck.

Who needs M249's, M240's, MK.19's, & Mini Guns when you can have water cooled M16's???

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that episode. I'm hoping they're just going for entertainment value alone and they're not actually that dumb. There was another episode I saw where the daughter was trying to sell Saigas to a police woman and she goes from the Saiga 12 to the Saiga .410 and implied that the woman had to be careful because the .410 was somehow "more gun".

410 is bigger than 12, the number is larger so it's more dangerous. Geez, you should know this.

Glad this show is off the air. I'd rather watch Swamp People any day.

Introducing... the fruity mc gay gay turret!!!!! [rofl] A shark jumps, every episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
Introducing... the fruity mc gay gay turret!!!!! [rofl] A shark jumps, every episode!

The Dillon one is just a little better:

[video]http://youtu.be/7Nug5FZgxuk[/video]

The NES brass police would be all over that vehicle if they had the opportunity.

I just watched that episode tonight and died laughing when I saw they were serious about that device. The 1st thing I said to my wife was "This is bullshit...no government contractor would go to a company like them to build a remote controlled turret gun because they already exist and work well.". The quality was shit too. I especially loved the "whole new market" of the "Alligator Kill Stick". Call me crazy, but that looks an awful like a plain old zip gun.

I just watched that episode tonight and died laughing when I saw they were serious about that device. The 1st thing I said to my wife was "This is bullshit...no government contractor would go to a company like them to build a remote controlled turret gun because they already exist and work well.".

IIRC, a buddy of mine worked for BBN in Cambridge when they were working on a computer-controlled unit that would detect the sound of a gunshot, swivel a gun turret and return fire. The system has been deployed, I believe, too.

IIRC, a buddy of mine worked for BBN in Cambridge when they were working on a computer-controlled unit that would detect the sound of a gunshot, swivel a gun turret and return fire. The system has been deployed, I believe, too.
Seeing as how its been done with paintballs and a laptop for quite some time, I'd be surprised to hear otherwise...

saw a very similar system to what you are describing on "future weapons" which is a much better show in my view, but my wife grabs her laptop & zones out if its on. but she'll watch "sons of guns" if its on.

that has friendly fire written all over it.

No kidding. Some of the guys would be hanging under the barrel with a bucket for all that brass.

I had a guy lean in front of my loaded Mosin with his head right in front of the barrel picking up brass once. So much for not going in front of the line before its confirmed clear.

that has friendly fire written all over it.

Boomerang detects incoming supersonic small arms fire for bullet trajectories passing the mast, and for shooters firing at maximum effective weapons' ranges. It detects and reports incoming fire and the relative shooter position (including elevation) quickly.

If it detects "incoming supersonic small arms fire for bullet trajectories passing the mast", I don't think that that's very friendly of someone!! Even if they DO wear the same uniform. [laugh]

And, as I said, according to the website it looks like I was wrong - it's just detection, not return fire.

If it detects "incoming supersonic small arms fire for bullet trajectories passing the mast", I don't think that that's very friendly of someone!! Even if they DO wear the same uniform. [laugh]
it happens!

And, as I said, according to the website it looks like I was wrong - it's just detection, not return fire.
yeah I saw that afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom