• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

I'm getting really tired of these guys acting like they're always inventing something new, now they're build a "folding flashlight gun". Hmm, where have I seen/heard that one before?...

I'm getting really tired of these guys acting like they're always inventing something new, now they're build a "folding flashlight gun". Hmm, where have I seen/heard that one before?...

Wouldn't that M11 become an NFA weapon since now it's a short barreled shoulder fired weapon?

That thing is grotesque. I have no idea why you would want that thing. I'd rather carry my 45.

Oh, and I know the end of the story when you shoot a bear with a 9mm. Here's a hint, it's not you folding up your lunch box and heading back to the truck.

Yea, and it's a 9mm for "wild dogs". [thinking]

That thing is grotesque. I have no idea why you would want that thing. I'd rather carry my 45.

Oh, and I know the end of the story when you shoot a bear with a 9mm. Here's a hint, it's not you folding up your lunch box and heading back to the truck.

What, 9MM isn't a good bear round?

grylls.jpg

the show producers have to come up with more and more drama for the average TV viewer, so they have to invent something. Tomorrow it will be a wheel ... with a gun. The main problem with this show is the lack of material, your average gun shop only has so many extraordinary things, but mostly it's just the same boring job that everyone has.

Funny, that they list "offending boy scouts" as one reason for concealing it. At that age, I'd be "f yeah! let me shoot that mister!" Especially in Louisiana where he can have suppressors and shoot a grenade up in the air on what looks like a town, then worry about concealing a gun while hiking.

shoot a grenade up in the air on what looks like a town

I am pretty sure that was a 37mm flare launcher, not a 40mm M203 grenade launcher. But, like you said, GRENADE LAUNCHER!!!!!!!!!! sounds way cooler to the unknowing reality tv watcher.

Me too, I am tired of that guy taking over a new section of the market, or what ever he repeats every episode.

I think we have to remember it is a TV show. We are going to be more critical than 90% of the people out there who don't really know most of the stuff already exists in some fashion. Also, being a TV show it is edited and we don't know how much of a say if any they have in what gets aired or how episodes are put together. That is discovery channels job. For all we know they could be using the same footage every time they are breaking into a new corner of the market. Also we have to remember every time they cut to the self interview parts someone is on the other side of the camera asking the questions or telling him what to say.

I wouldn't get tired of that guy. He isn't the one editing the show. I think its more the discovery channel trying to put their new and innovative spin to everything. That's just my take on it.

All you military guys, can you tell me what was really going on with the water cooled twin M16 test fire? The CO looked like he was dressed in fatigues picked up at a surplus store with no markings yet they claimed this was a job for the military. Smells funny to me but I don't have a lot of knowledge of how the military works in situations like this.

All you military guys, can you tell me what was really going on with the water cooled twin M16 test fire? The CO looked like he was dressed in fatigues picked up at a surplus store with no markings yet they claimed this was a job for the military. Smells funny to me but I don't have a lot of knowledge of how the military works in situations like this.

Smells funny because it is funny.

The "brown navy" falls under the Navy Expeditionary Combat Command, who has plenty of money. Why would they need a dual water cooled M16 hard mounted to a boat when they have WAY cooler toys?

Yea, and it's a 9mm for "wild dogs". [thinking]

MagPul. They had a great one at the Shot Show, although I don't think they are in production. The MAgPul light gun was MUCH more elegant in design than the one on the TV show - much slicker; folded into a more clean box like unit; and had a high degree of elegance of design, function and form.

And yes, it was a 37mm flare gun. They weren't even careful enough to obfuscate the 37mm on the box of flares for the unit.

MagPul. They had a great one at the Shot Show, although I don't think they are in production. The MAgPul light gun was MUCH more elegant in design than the one on the TV show - much slicker; folded into a more clean box like unit; and had a high degree of elegance of design, function and form.

And yes, it was a 37mm flare gun. They weren't even careful enough to obfuscate the 37mm on the box of flares for the unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CO looked like he was dressed in fatigues picked up at a surplus store with no markings yet they claimed this was a job for the military.

You mean Carl Spangler with the Schicklgruber mustache?

derfurher.jpg

caddyshack_bill_murray_americas_best.jpg

I'd have a hard time believing that would pass muster with his superiors or grooming standards (never mind how any Jewish personnel would feel about it).

Last edited:
The thing you have to remember is this show isn't being aimed at gun savvy people. Anyone who knows anything about guns knows this is retarded. They are just trying to entertain.

WRT the "dual" M16s... the only way I could justify that request is if that is some private militia and can't afford any transferable belt feds and instead wants some "cool" dual M16 setup, alas it is probably just actors. They effectively made an M16 that could fill the role of a saw, but way less reliably and efficiently.

Mike

Smells funny because it is funny.

The "brown navy" falls under the Navy Expeditionary Combat Command, who has plenty of money. Why would they need a dual water cooled M16 hard mounted to a boat when they have WAY cooler toys?

If it's not an outright lie, I suspect this is a guard unit that was the customer. I checked and LA has a few guard units that it considers "special forces" (part of the 156th battalion under the 256th brigade from the press releases I found). They also have a marching band unit too so... YMMV.
The army has Fort Polk but that is a good distance from where the show is filmed.

Its fake.

There would be no way for them to want to replace either a M249 or M240 with a dual M16 setup.
The guy that runs the store even said that they were not intended for the light machine gun roll.

If this "Navy SF Operator" wanted to own the beach, he could put a M240 on that boat, and not a dual magazine fed system that is going to be very hard to run, never mind aim.

If it's not an outright lie, I suspect this is a guard unit that was the customer. I checked and LA has a few guard units that it considers "special forces" (part of the 156th battalion under the 256th brigade from the press releases I found). They also have a marching band unit too so... YMMV.
The army has Fort Polk but that is a good distance from where the show is filmed.

Just watched that episode onDemand. The idea seemed interesting but if SHTF and the boat had to be ditched then you'd lose a weapon systems, where as you can remove a 240 and not have to worry about a water cooling system.

There are two Guard SF groups the 19th (Utah) and 20th (Alabama), don't think they have any detachments in Louisiana, but they do have one in Massachusetts (I've seen them every now again at Devens). I was thinking they could be a Navy special warfare combat crewman team (SWCC), but i thought they were all active units and commanded by and O-5 (and with much cooler toys).

The 256 is ICBT, the new light infantry type (the 256 special troops bat includes special units like a engineer signal and the HH companies, but i didn't see any water units). The 3/156 is light infantry under the 256, regular ground pounders.

Back
Top Bottom