• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Discovery Show "Sons of Guns"

My understanding at least with the M2 is the rate of fire is at least partially dependent on the reciprocating mass as it is essentially recoil operated, when the barrel and bolt assembly move back about a half inch the barrel extension and bolt unlock and the bolt recoils the rest of the way back. The faster firing M3s have a lighter barrel and I believe the weight of the bolt is reduced as well, that with some spring tweaking results in faster cycling of the action. If anything I would think that a really light barrel like what they put on would result in the thing firing crazy fast.

I like how in all the episodes with browning stuff they don't once mention anything about the head-space or timing of the guns.

Mike

Was it just me or when the customer bought the suppressor for his .308 he appeared to be aiming down a scope with the cover still attached? I didn't DVR the episode so I can't go back but my buddy and I both looked at each other with a WTF look

I'm also surprised to see how much the owner crapped on the guy with the beard. He seems to have an owner's short temper, but it appears to me, that he doesn't have a business if the beared guy walks.

He tends to walk off, a lot, muttering...'do whatever you have to to fix it!'

Keep in mind that it's a "reality" show. For all we know that bearded guy was "Uncle Rufus" and just wanted to get on TV with his nephew. Also, regarding that young, employee applicant that was let go, I'd be pretty pissed if the whole world knew that my 'background check' had something in it that wasn't good. I have to wonder if that stuff is all staged.

Rome

Keep in mind that it's a "reality" show. For all we know that bearded guy was "Uncle Rufus" and just wanted to get on TV with his nephew. Also, regarding that young, employee applicant that was let go, I'd be pretty pissed if the whole world knew that my 'background check' had something in it that wasn't good. I have to wonder if that stuff is all staged.

Rome

He was there for all of 40 minutes. It wasn't the background check but his employee Chris' opinion of the guy (from past experiences with him) that led to the decision. I believe the BC was just a polite excuse.

My understanding at least with the M2 is the rate of fire is at least partially dependent on the reciprocating mass as it is essentially recoil operated, when the barrel and bolt assembly move back about a half inch the barrel extension and bolt unlock and the bolt recoils the rest of the way back. The faster firing M3s have a lighter barrel and I believe the weight of the bolt is reduced as well, that with some spring tweaking results in faster cycling of the action. If anything I would think that a really light barrel like what they put on would result in the thing firing crazy fast.

I like how in all the episodes with browning stuff they don't once mention anything about the head-space or timing of the guns.

Mike

Yea I noticed that too, I kept saying to myself "I hope they checked the timing on that M2 or it's going to kaboom!"

The show started off alright, but it's going down hill fast. The "competition" they had for the shoulder fired 1919 was ridiculous, it was just 4 or 5 people shooting at 4 water jugs....they didn't even try to justify it with points or a timer or anything. Seems like they've run out of ideas and are just making things up to fill TV time.

The "competition" they had for the shoulder fired 1919 was ridiculous, it was just 4 or 5 people shooting at 4 water jugs....they didn't even try to justify it with points or a timer or anything.

they had someone with a stopwatch timing them, they just didn't talk about the results of the "competition"

The conversion they did on the 1919 is offered by TNW, it's a package and it doesn't permanently modify the weapon. Barrels and jackets are readily available and shorty 1919s are common at MG shoots. The cyclic rate dropped because it doesn't have a muzzle booster at the end of the barrel anymore. The 1919 is a short-recoil design and like most of them, it has a booster attached to the end of the barrel to capture expelling gases and use them to help cycle the action. Removing it is going to slow down the rate of fire, even though you've lightened the barrel which would speed it up. Also when they removed the backplate I think the buffer that's inside it isn't part of the TNW stock kit, which will also affect the rate of fire.

I dont know how people can like this show.

I just watched the show where they make that remote mount for the "private military contractor" aka actor.

Why would a PMC go to a local company that has no experience making remote mounts?

The entire thing was a joke. Why would they use a small caliber magazine fed rifle for the weapon? Whatever happened to a M240 on the roof or something even bigger thats belt fed? The mount was a huge piece of shit. It wobbled like crazy when the weapon fired.

Then they had that gay fake explosion in the school bus go off after they shot it like 5 times with the M16.

Its hard to believe that the owner was in the Marine Corps. In other episodes he say hes never even touched an M2 before, and now he shows that he knows even less.

This is also the same episode they threw the old man out of the store for wandering. Real nice place.

I just watched the show where they make that remote mount for the "private military contractor" aka actor.

Why would a PMC go to a local company that has no experience making remote mounts?

The entire thing was a joke. Why would they use a small caliber magazine fed rifle for the weapon? Whatever happened to a M240 on the roof or something even bigger thats belt fed? The mount was a huge piece of shit. It wobbled like crazy when the weapon fired.

Then they had that gay fake explosion in the school bus go off after they shot it like 5 times with the M16.

Its hard to believe that the owner was in the Marine Corps. In other episodes he say hes never even touched an M2 before, and now he shows that he knows even less.

This is also the same episode they threw the old man out of the store for wandering. Real nice place.

+1

Show doesn't capture my interest. However, to John Q. Public, I bet its very "cool" to watch...

I like the show overall, but I find the owners daughter annoying sometimes. I don't know why though I just do.

All women are annoying sometimes [laugh]

I've only seen part of one Flying Wild, but from what I did see, it seem to be true that there are no OLD bad pilots in Alaska.....

FIFY

Yea I noticed that too, I kept saying to myself "I hope they checked the timing on that M2 or it's going to kaboom!"

The show started off alright, but it's going down hill fast. The "competition" they had for the shoulder fired 1919 was ridiculous, it was just 4 or 5 people shooting at 4 water jugs....they didn't even try to justify it with points or a timer or anything. Seems like they've run out of ideas and are just making things up to fill TV time.
Well, its not every day that you come up with an idea that "will open up a whole new market."

Oh wait... At Red Jacket it is... [thinking]

Agree with Dench on the roof mounted POS...

Not only was it a 2 masted failboat of a design (shaking, no way to reload, too small a caliber of gun, lexan is not cover, etc...), I don't buy the buyer...

It didn't even look like it had any elevation control...

Well, its not every day that you come up with an idea that "will open up a whole new market."

Oh wait... At Red Jacket it is... [thinking]

Agree with Dench on the roof mounted POS...

Not only was it a 2 masted failboat of a design (shaking, no way to reload, too small a caliber of gun, lexan is not cover, etc...), I don't buy the buyer...

It didn't even look like it had any elevation control...

I have to agree. First thing that came to mind is why an M-16, and why a POS Beta drum?

What kind of bugged me was the owners reaction to the idea of using a video game controller... he was totally flabbergasted and stunned that someone would even suggest it.

He was somewhat correct in stating that lives could be on the line (this from the same guy who probably came up with using the Beta mags and then only bringing two to the test fire), but, to me it shows an inability to think outside the box and stubbornness to even entertain different possibilities.

That was clearly the most staged episode thus far. That guy was clearly an actor, or at least he was "acting." There is no logic or reason to going to a gun company when you should be going to a robotics company. Using an M16 in that platform is flat out stupid... now if he built a belt fed upper similar to the "shrike" for the M16 I'd be impressed, or better yet a belt-fed 308 upper. Considering the military uses video game controllers for a lot these days I think he reaction was ridiculous. They are clearly trying to form him into a character, whether or not it is reflective of who he really is I'm not sure.

Mike

They are clearly trying to form him into a character, whether or not it is reflective of who he really is I'm not sure.
Interesting question, but at this point, neither who he is nor who he is playing is someone with any credibility.

That thing flopping around on the roof was just sad...

Having a gun manufacturer with only one trained gunsmith is just sad...

Converting a tommy gun for actual use is.. Just sad...

That machete was... I don't even know what that was, but it made baby Jesus cry... [laugh]

Kudos to him for punking the TV execs though... [laugh]

What really put me off the show was, after firing the Thompson on full-auto, the owner turning to the camera and exclaiming, with the "I'm a know-it-all" look and attitude, something to the effect of:

If anyone fired this gun, everyone in the immediate area and the person shooting it would die. YOU WOULD DIE.

Oh, really, smartass? Then why didn't you and the camera crew die?

I think the show is pretty lame, but it's better than House Hunters International or any other crap my wife wants to watch.

Interesting question, but at this point, neither who he is nor who he is playing is someone with any credibility.

That thing flopping around on the roof was just sad...

Having a gun manufacturer with only one trained gunsmith is just sad...

Converting a tommy gun for actual use is.. Just sad...

That machete was... I don't even know what that was, but it made baby Jesus cry... [laugh]

Kudos to him for punking the TV execs though... [laugh]

How about the Katana they made for that moron that did the most useless weapons test on the face of the earth. His entire exam of the weapon was seeing if he could clear self inflicted malfuntions fast. Um, yeah, sure. You cleared it. Must be a great rifle!

You guys take these shows way to seriously. The average person understands that reality shows are not reality. Its a show that has guns and they blow stuff up. Take it for what it is. Im just happy to see a firearm related show on television.

How about the Katana they made for that moron that did the most useless weapons test on the face of the earth. His entire exam of the weapon was seeing if he could clear self inflicted malfuntions fast. Um, yeah, sure. You cleared it. Must be a great rifle!
You missed the point of those tests, it was to show how HSLD he was...

"Does this gun make me look good?" "How about from this angle? Do I look cool?"

[rolleyes]

Come on, you know you want one, only $1,800 :)

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/12683572368c936xw3ak6

I actually like the show somewhat, the AK episode was good.

Last night some guy spent $5000 to have them build a launcher to shoot model rockets at pirates attacking ships. I will still watch it if nothing else is on but I sure won't be taking it seriously any more.

Back
Top Bottom