New CMP Garands are Coming in! Post them here!

I would have loved to go, but had to go do the family outing at the beach thing.

When we do have the M1 get together can you guys imagine the fiasco that is going to happen when everyone tries to figure out which green CMP hard case is theirs? That and dozens of en blocs on the range ground. Yikes.

You don't keep your brass after you're done? [laugh]

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

You don't keep your brass after you're done? [laugh]

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

Oh man imagine trying to sort brass out.
"I'm shooting TC 52"
"where's my HXP 66?"
"hey that's my HXP 72"
Nightmare. I'd just be happy to get an equal amount of once fired brass back regardless of head stamp.

Saw someone's today at the shoot, I'm even more pissed now. I wanted one so bad, these came out awesome. I hate you all.

What's stopping you from buying a Garand? Set aside some money when you can and make it happen. Right now CMP is running about 3-4 months to ship rifles. If you can save enough $ in that 3-4 month period then submit your order now and start saving. If you don't order and the CMP runs out of rifles you'll be paying probably 50-100% more than what M1 rifles cost now. Just look at the M1 carbines.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 18
What's stopping you from buying a Garand? Set aside some money when you can and make it happen. Right now CMP is running about 3-4 months to ship rifles. If you can save enough $ in that 3-4 month period then submit your order now and start saving. If you don't order and the CMP runs out of rifles you'll be paying probably 50-100% more than what M1 rifles cost now. Just look at the M1 carbines.
yes its 650$ shipped for a service grade. I find all sorts of ways to say money for garands. From cashing in cans to the 2% cash back on CC. I also do well saving $ with coupons. If you really look you can find 100$+ a month, no.
1st thing I did to save any money.....make coffee and lunch at home.

Not true, it could be a foreign replacement stock like some kind of weird p.o.s. frankenstock the Greeks put on there.
No denying the value though, they're an awesome buy.

Indeed, I got a sweet '45 SA FG back in January, and while it's GI wood, it's definately a birch stock with no markings.

I would have loved to go, but had to go do the family outing at the beach thing.

When we do have the M1 get together can you guys imagine the fiasco that is going to happen when everyone tries to figure out which green CMP hard case is theirs? That and dozens of en blocs on the range ground. Yikes.

Calling it now: At the Powder Pig in August we should have one line where the only gun fired is the M1 Garand. It'll sound like a WWII infantry platoon.

Saw someone's today at the shoot, I'm even more pissed now. I wanted one so bad, these came out awesome. I hate you all.

ColdDay, Terrance is right. Had I got off my ass and not jerked off for a year, I probably would have gotten my M1 and then sprunf for a M1 Carbine. It would have cost me about 60% of what I pad for it late last year had I gotten it through the CMP.

Seriously, it should be THE next gun purchase you make. The value is unlike anything else WRT guns right now.

We really do need to have an M1 milsurp get together.
IN.

One of my good personal friends goes by the name buckley94thmp on the CMP forums. I'm sure he'd come if he can make it.

He is a bona fide Garand collector. He's just waiting on a IHC to finish of the sextet (SA, HRA, WRA, Breda, Beretta, IHC). His BM59 project might be done by then.

I spent weeks thinking of buying a Garand from CMP, but decided against it.

My reasons:
1. Feels cool and feels right for 10 minutes. After that is way too heavy for me to enjoy.

2. Another caliber I will have to buy ammo and/or reloading parts for.

3. There are tons of other firearms I like more.

I am not against Garands.... just expressing my thought process to not buy one.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

My reasons:
1. Feels cool and feels right for 10 minutes. After that is way too heavy for me to enjoy.

I am not against Garands.... just expressing my thought process to not buy one.

1. Blasphemy. The M1 Garand is top 3 coolest gun ever. But it is heavy if you're used to an AR or Red Ryder. I enjoy the weight (at the range and fondling them at home, not humping around the boonies) and get nostalgic with the walnut and steel of a bygone era.

2. Yeah 30-06 ain't cheap, but you could get a .308 CMP special if you already shoot .308

3. That's perfectly fine, there are plenty of other communists that don't like M1 rifles either. That makes more M1s available to the M1 junkies out there.

I'm not taking personal shots at you, I'm just joking around. I understand what you mean, the M1 isn't for everyone and you can spend your money however you like.

Calling it now: At the Powder Pig in August we should have one line where the only gun fired is the M1 Garand. It'll sound like a WWII infantry platoon.

Hmmmm ill try to make this, but I can't cant commit at this time. To complete the WW2 infantry platoon we're gonna need a BAR and maybe an M1919...paging ManInBlue...

I believe that would have been my FG HRA. [wink]

If i was staying after lunch and knew you were interested, i would have sent you down range with an 8 round clip. 1 trip would have been all you needed.

I love and collect SKSs, I have mausers and Mosins, but i really love shooting my Garand best. That 30.06 kick softened by the semi auto recoil (over a bolt action) and that wonderful sound of the clip flying out of the rifle on the last shot....

Cold. don't miss this opportunity....i so wish i had bought a couple more Carbines when i could have. I was too busy buying $200 guns and missed the big picture. My $200 guns are now $300.... My missed opportunity CMP carbines have doubled.

there will be many looking back on the Garands with similar regret.

Last edited:
I would never admit in public that a gun is too heavy.

That's like saying you own a truck that's too big!

HEAVY! you just aint shoot'n enough....man I dont know some of these tacticool ARs are right up there. My A2 service rifle is as heavy as a garand....

Adding a new caliper is a somewhat valid reason. I have put off anything in 303 and swiss as I am not set up to reload for those yet....Brass is a pain to get.

Last edited:
I believe that would have been my FG HRA. [wink]

If i was staying after lunch and knew you were interested, i would have sent you down range with an 8 round clip. 1 trip would have been all you needed.

I love and collect SKSs, I have mausers and Mosins, but i really love shooting my Garand best. That 30.06 kick softened by the semi auto recoil (over a bolt action) and that wonderful sound of the clip flying out of the rifle on the last shot....

Cold. don't miss this opportunity....i so wish i had bought a couple more Carbines when i could have. I was too busy buying $200 guns and missed the big picture. My $200 guns are now $300.... My missed opportunity CMP carbines have doubled.

there will be many looking back on the Garands with similar regret.

Ahhh yes it was yours, it was a long day haha. Yep I love them and I never even shot one before. Same thing with my SKS, sometimes impulse buys are the best ones. I won't miss another opportunity for sure. Hope to see you at a shoot this year.

Yes I know, but I would like a nice HRA SG with gi wood that locks up tight. For S&Gs I put my 1952 SA SG in my new cmp stock that I have on my HRA SG and she grouped so much better....It was a bit odd feeling resistance when locking up the trigger group!
Check the locking pins on the trigger group. A lot of them are worn and better pins will give you good lockup.

1. Blasphemy. The M1 Garand is top 3 coolest gun ever. But it is heavy if you're used to an AR or Red Ryder. I enjoy the weight (at the range and fondling them at home, not humping around the boonies) and get nostalgic with the walnut and steel of a bygone era.

2. Yeah 30-06 ain't cheap, but you could get a .308 CMP special if you already shoot .308

3. That's perfectly fine, there are plenty of other communists that don't like M1 rifles either. That makes more M1s available to the M1 junkies out there.

I'm not taking personal shots at you, I'm just joking around. I understand what you mean, the M1 isn't for everyone and you can spend your money however you like.

Offhand, the M1 is heavy! But it isn't like I'm choosing it as my new phone or something. I don't own one because it is a "modern sporting rifle", and I don't own it to put food on the table. I own it because it is a collectable piece of military history, and because it is damn fun to shoot! (and at least when I last bought the surplus ammo was a good deal!).

My reasons:

I am not against Garands.... just expressing my thought process to not buy one. 2
You were on a roll!

You were on a roll!

I'm not sure how to take that. Didn't want to step on this thread. Just thought I'd mention that I spent a while thinking about a CMP Garand, and my reasons not to purchase one. That leaves one extra for you guys :)

Reason 4. I'm not a collector. I shoot almost every week and prefer guns that I carry and/or use frequently. If I was a collector the Garand would be near the top of my list.

I'm not sure how to take that. Didn't want to step on this thread. Just thought I'd mention that I spent a while thinking about a CMP Garand, and my reasons not to purchase one. That leaves one extra for you guys :)

Reason 4. I'm not a collector. I shoot almost every week and prefer guns that I carry and/or use frequently. If I was a collector the Garand would be near the top of my list.

Dude, if you don't want or like the Garand then just say so. I have a guy I work with who doesn't appreciate any firearm >20 years old...AR fanboy to the exclusion of everything else. That's cool, and I rib him about it.

But he doesn make up totally weak and non-sensical reasons as to why he doesn't like it. He just says so.

And you're ruining our Garand love fest. Get the **** outta here. [wink]

Last edited:
Dude, if you don't want or like the Garand then just say so. I have a guy I work with who doesn't appreciate any firearm >20 years old...AR fanboy to the exclusion of everything else. That's cool, and I rib him about it.

But he doesn make up totally weak and non-sensical reasons as to why he doesn't like it. He just says so.

And you're ruining our Garand love fest. Get the **** outta here. [wink]

Leaves more for me, shhh, stop trying to change his mind :)

Check the locking pins on the trigger group. A lot of them are worn and better pins will give you good lockup.
My stocks on my 42 and 52 SA SG are not very tight. Even with my best looking trigger group. No worries though I love the cartouched stocks.

I have not been able to find a source for new pins or new or new old stock replacement. All the replacement trtigger guard assemblies I see a used and state clearly that the pins will be worn but serviceable.

I am not much of a collector myself (unless you count spent brass) - but I have to say I LOVE to shoot the Garand - if it would fit in a holster I would use it as my daily carry ;)

Offhand, the M1 is heavy! But it isn't like I'm choosing it as my new phone or something. I don't own one because it is a "modern sporting rifle", and I don't own it to put food on the table. I own it because it is a collectable piece of military history, and because it is damn fun to shoot! (and at least when I last bought the surplus ammo was a good deal!).

I loves me my Garand but offhand it is a beast. I had not been in a CMP JC Garand match in like 12 years and I did one last year and shot fine until I go to the offhand and forgot you couldn't use a sling. Man those 10 rounds were tough. Wouldn't trade it for anything though. I hoard them in the vain hope that I will be able to pass them down to my many kinder.

other than sahooter a match if as garand becomes heavy go prone with sand bags...also to combat recoil try ear plugs and muffs at the same time. I can shoot 500 shots at trap shoot marathons if I double up, I get recoil drunk around 300 with just plugs

I ordered a CMP SA Special a little while back. I am reading a lot on here about getting GI wood. The specials come with new CMP Stocks and are, from the best of my understanding, rebuilt with some new parts and a new barrel. Price with shipping is about a grand. Did I mess up? Am I missing the point of ordering from CMP? I don't mind the joke responses, but I am serious.
For the most part, I am into modern firearms.
My reasoning behind the Garand is 1)history 2)they are just cool and 3) they take a 30.06, and during this last crunch, 30.06 was still on shelves, when everything else was gone.

Back
Top Bottom