• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New CMP Garands are Coming in! Post them here!

40 caliber

NES Member
From the other thread, there are a lot of us waiting for our HRA and SA garands to show up from that wonderful CMP lottery. well mine showed up . here it is. Let's post them here
Sent application 2/5/13
Received 2/11/13
received notice 2/25/13 that my notorized letter had expired.
received notice 2/28/13 they had recieved my overnight express letter and it was in queue
received DBU 3/26/13
Hit the Estore 4/29/13
delivered 5/3/2013

Thanks to the fedex guy that actually came back to my house a 2nd time to deliver it!
looking at the rifle, i must be living right, because she is pretty!
i have not cleaner her up yet, what is that cosmolene? it is a lighter coat than those commie guns

Oh hell yes!

WW2 era trigger guard, great GI stock, excellent throat and muzzle. You scored, she is beautiful.

You scored well - congratulation on that beauty!

I am so close I can smell it - my received date was 2/14 so hoping to get notice in the next week or two

I'm praying I get a snug fitting gi stock....Im waiting on a SG HRA (2nd for me) would be a bonus if its a HRA stock.
You have some nice looking wood there. Great color.

I'm praying I get a snug fitting gi stock....Im waiting on a SG HRA (2nd for me) would be a bonus if its a HRA stock.
You have some nice looking wood there. Great color.
Mac, what's the best way to remove cosmoline from a beautiful USGI stock like that without losing the patina or color? Mineral spirits?

Oh hell yes!

WW2 era trigger guard, great GI stock, excellent throat and muzzle. You scored, she is beautiful.

This.

Congrats. She is a beauty.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the maker of the WWII milled TG group? Mine is all HRA on my Springfield...

MS

Those guards are probably Springfield makes on an HRA Trigger group. HRA never made milled guards, to best of my knowlege.

Mac, what's the best way to remove cosmoline from a beautiful USGI stock like that without losing the patina or color? Mineral spirits?

honestly all I do is mix up a batch of warm water and dish soap like im washing dishes. Then I just give it a quick clean with micro fiber cloth not to wet and not to long. quick rinse wipe dry..... That stock looks really nice I would be more willing to just wipe it down often with clean rags.

honestly all I do is mix up a batch of warm water and dish soap like im washing dishes. Then I just give it a quick clean with micro fiber cloth not to wet and not to long. quick rinse wipe dry..... That stock looks really nice I would be more willing to just wipe it down often with clean rags.

Thanks!! Terence! beat me to it!. I was considering putting the stock in my trunk this summer in a garbage bag. I figured that would be the least invasive. I can just wipe it down if you think that will get me there. This is my second M1 so i have a SA shooter that is nowhere near as nice.

If i follow your instructions, do I tung oil to preserve or just wipe it down since it is full of cosmo in the stock ?

Thanks!! Terence! beat me to it!. I was considering putting the stock in my trunk this summer in a garbage bag. I figured that would be the least invasive. I can just wipe it down if you think that will get me there. This is my second M1 so i have a SA shooter that is nowhere near as nice.

If i follow your instructions, do I tung oil to preserve or just wipe it down since it is full of cosmo in the stock ?

Try this Armorer's Corner - Wood Cleaning Article as for nice stocks see section 9. This is the route I would take for such a pretty stock

I like 100% pure tung oil. I happen to have hopes brand 100% tung oil. With tung oil I just smother it on with my hands and rub rub rub. Wipe off any excess. Keep wiping off any excess. My "gi" stocks are all well seasoned and really don't soak up the tung oil that much.

Last edited:
Try this Armorer's Corner - Wood Cleaning Article as for nice stocks see section 9. This is the route I would take for such a pretty stock

I like 100% pure tung oil. I happen to have hopes brand 100% tung oil. With tung oil I just smother it on with my hands and rub rub rub. Wipe off any excess. Keep wiping off any excess. My "gi" stocks are all well seasoned and really don't soak up the tung oil that much.

Excellent Article, thanks!

Here's my recently arrived service grade Harrington & Richardson. CMP replacement stock (Boyd's), Muzzle erosion of 1.5, Throat erosion of almost 2. Wasn't sure I'd like a non-GI stock, but it sure is purdy. Components are a mix-master of H&R and Springfield, but they all look virtually unused.

Sent 40 rounds downrange yesterday on the 100-yard range. No problem keeping them in the black. I'm sure this old girl shoots better than my eyes will allow. Picked up 400 rounds of HXP from CMP, and they're working out fine - No misfires, no split cases.

My Springfield M1 is happy to have a safe buddy...

KEN, We have another winner!! great rifle! I love mine, but would have been thrilled with that one too!

by the way, i have not pulled mine apart but the barrel is a HRA 1955 and the receiver and stock are HRA so i might be close on this one.!! I dont know much about what to check. where else do i need to go to all it an all matching? (or at least all manufacturer matching)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom