New CMP Garands are Coming in! Post them here!

I suppose this is a good place to ask this question.

I got a '55 Springfield from CMP a few years ago and it has a beautiful GI Walnut stock. However, the front hand-guard was sanded? at some point. It looks awful. I've always wanted to replace it but it is original to the rifle so I never have. Recently, it has developed a crack.

Now I have a good excuse to replace it. Any idea where I can purchase an unfinished walnut GI front hand-guard? I don't need the metal parts.
View attachment 66913
CMP forums : marketplace

Anytime. If you don't see what you're looking for in their marketplace, you can post a WTB M1 Front Handguard on there too, and someone might have one for sale.

I got this CMP Special a few moths ago. Its is 95% H&R with only the boyds stock and a SA op rod. The barrel is H&R and the throat and muzzle both gauged at 1.5 she shoots awsome!!!!

Attachments

• grnd.jpg
    grnd.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 70
Anytime. If you don't see what you're looking for in their marketplace, you can post a WTB M1 Front Handguard on there too, and someone might have one for sale.

A WTB thread for common part like a walnut handguard should get you a few emails in a few hours.

Here's some more pics of my M1. I have an album here - Photo Album - Imgur

23pA4Dx.jpg

SA Bolt

xIQCgfs.jpg

SA trigger Group

iQrwQnN.jpg

SA Op Rod

x9irFxw.jpg

With Utica Bayonet

O0ipEfB.jpg

Hey all, my HRA SG arrived and I couldn't be happier! Been busy at work so I just got a chance to snap some pics. My best guess is she was a barreled receiver that was assembled by CMP with the mix of parts I have. HRA Rec, Bolt, and Barrel. SA on the rest that had obvious markings. The stock is USGI with great cartouches and alot of cosmoline haha. The steel was very clean in comparison with good parking. Its so much fun to start my research and alot to take in so I'm sure to be forgetting some details but it will not be the last you see of her. Oh and I already registered the Ser# at 30 Cal.

App Sent: 2/11/2013
DBU: 2/22/2013
E-Store: 5/2/2013
Received: 5/15/2013 (excruciating wait!)

Rec: HRA 6528291 L, Ser# 5516XXX
Bolt: HRA 6528287 .U.
Barrel: HRA 6535448 8-54 RS36 (ME 2, TE 2+) According to the tag from CMP, but it also says SA not HRA on it so who knows!?
Trig Hsg: SA 6528290
Hammer: SA D 5546008
Op Rod: SA 6535382

P5200021.jpg P5200022.jpg P5200023.jpg P5200024.jpg P5200025.jpg P520002602.jpg P5200027.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet....nice wood again....man I hope I get some nice gi wood. The gi wood I have on my SA's is nice to have but fit is loose. As for cmp assembling barreled recievers...I didn't get that impression from the articles I have read. I know the rifles get torn down and cleaned checked. I don't think they waste a lot of time building up a barreled reciever or they wouldn't sell them. I maybe wrong

Still great looking gun. I like the dark coal colored park..

Sweet....nice wood again....man I hope I get some nice gi wood. The gi wood I have on my SA's is nice to have but fit is loose. As for cmp assembling barreled recievers...I didn't get that impression from the articles I have read. I know the rifles get torn down and cleaned checked. I don't think they waste a lot of time building up a barreled reciever or they wouldn't sell them. I maybe wrong

Still great looking gun. I like the dark coal colored park..

Thanks alot! Giving it a good cleaning and I'll be off to the range, a few cases of HXP should keep it happy for a while. My barreled receiver guess was based off this post on CMP Forum
In years past, CMP received tens of thousands of M1 Garand rifles from the US Army. These "rifles" were a mix of bare receivers, barreled receivers, incomplete rifles, complete rifles - all in various conditions, from total rust buckets to what appeared as never issued. All of the crates containing these rifles were placed in storage in stacks of 100 rifles per crate, six crates high, and 8 stacks deep. Quite a few of the crates are still in the same location as when placed in storage (last scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark).

Thanks alot! Giving it a good cleaning and I'll be off to the range, a few cases of HXP should keep it happy for a while. My barreled receiver guess was based off this post on CMP Forum

Just the fact they statecthey arecstill there is a good indication they are not "building" rifles. That's not to say they don't.
I know they keep an eye out for rare parts and special items. My understanding is all rifles get the same treatment as they would going through rearsenal. Although some armour's arexknown to try and use manufactured correct parts if they have them in the bins? They thing is many indicators lead to HRA useing a lot of SA parts right from the HRA factory.

Another beautiful HRA. I really gotta get an order in to take part in this USGI stock gravy train.

Yeah I think that gravy was spilled all over my stock, it is damn near dripping cosmoline [laugh]. Honestly though I just got this one in and have already started saving for the next!

I just got back from 2 weeks of business travel.. Nice rifles guys!!!

coincidently , the day i got back (yesterday), I see this on the CMP site.
Your order has processed and is currently awaiting shipment - shipment should normally occur in 7-14 days.

2 FGs on the way!!!

Yeah I think that gravy was spilled all over my stock, it is damn near dripping cosmoline [laugh]. Honestly though I just got this one in and have already started saving for the next!
10 minutes after my 1st I ordered a secound. Knowing I had 3 months to save before the next arrived.

AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHUUUU the only thing that's killing me is wondering if my HRA SG will come with HRA wood!!.....OK carry on.

They finally arrived. I had ordered one SG and 2 FGs . the SG showed up the beginning of the month. The 2 FGs just showed up this week. I have to say I have always thought the SGs were the best bang for the buck and they may be. The FGs are not shabby however. The barrel specs are not as good as the SG but as the CMP website states. "well within military standards".

I originally wanted to order the FGs because i knew i would get a GI stock. I am not disappointed. I lucked out on my SG but did not expect to...I will say that cosmetically the HRA FGs exceed my SG Springfield. (I understand they are newer). The top FG has some dings in the stock but nothing I ever would walk away from. I like the slightly weathered "been there, done that " look. I also like the price. Could any of you walk away from either of these M1s at $550 each delivered?

Sent application 2/5/13
Received 2/11/13
received notice 2/25/13 that my notorized letter had expired.
received notice 2/28/13 they had recieved my overnight express letter and it was in queue
received DBU 3/26/13
Hit the Estore 5/23/13
delivered 5/30/2013

Now that I have them in hand..... if I didn't have any of these three and would only be buying one, would I go with the a FG or SG? That is a tough call.. if you can afford it, you may want to consider buying 2 FGs for $1099. Shoot the heck out of one, ,, When CMP runs out, wait 2 years and sell one for $1100 and keep the other for free . If you could think you could let go of one then...... [wink]..... Enjoy

Happy Day!

Oops, now you have triplets. Hope you have enough food on hand for them - you do know they eat 8 servings at a time right?

A little cut BLO will smooth out the coloring on the stocks, especially the scuffs. I actually added a little walnut stain to darken up my fore stock which was a very light almost beech color to help it blend better with the walnut stock.

MS

Back
Top Bottom