New CMP Garands are Coming in! Post them here!

HRA used a lot of mixed parts out of the factory also, very tough. So much different info out there. Also like it or not CMP will and does grab parts from any and all rifles to get correct and collector grades closer to perfect....included is the stocks.

Now I have to put in another order. Thanks.. Made me think of this quote:

"Why I like Garands

It satisfies the eyes. It looks warm, robust, serious, and capable. It looks like victory, freedom and liberation. It looks friendly. It does not look evil. It does not look delicate. It does not look cheap.

It satisfies the ears. The clock like schnick when you pull the bolt back. The warning click as you shove home another 8 round clip. The massive solid slam as the bolt rams another round into the chamber. The deep throated bark of the muzzle as you fire away. The final Ka-Ting as the empty clip is ejected. The horrifying scream of agony as the guy four benches down learns never to hesitate when removing his thumb from a freshly loaded clip.

It satisfies the touch. The warm sculpted wood. The curve of the stock. The curl of the bolt lug. The take-up of the trigger. The robust, solid, yet unsharp push of the kick.

It satisfies the soul. It is the defender of liberty. It is the champion of victory. It is the guarantor of freedom. It will not be used to rob banks. No terrorist will unleash it on a crowd of unarmed victims. No gangster will use it to shoot little girls while missing his imagined gangster enemies.

It is the good guy's weapon. It is just the ticket to liberate a country. It opens the doors of concentration camps. It saves people from tyranny. It topples dictators. It squashes fascists. It pushes communists behind their walls. It defends the homeland. It provides for the common defense. It is necessary for the security of a free state.

It brings joy to women and children as they fire it. It strikes fear in the hearts of those that oppose freedom. It makes friends at the shooting range. It reminds us of the cost of freedom. Its lavish expense is appropriately justified.

It is your duty as an American to own one. Get one now. Buy ammo. Use it. Never mind the price, find the best one you can. You have no excuse. The time is now!!!!!!"

George D had the best post on the M1 I had ever seen. Served as my sig line for a while, and still does over on the CMP forum board:
It's hard to explain, but the second you pick up the M1 Garand, it speaks to you like a conduit to the past.
It just feels right. The weight, the dimensions, its controls and features.
You know instantly that it's not a target gun, it's not a hunting gun, it's a battle rifle.
It has a sole purpose. It feels serious.
You can immediately feel how it could give confidence and inspiration to an infantryman.
Everything about it means business. Is there some psychic impression left on an inanimate object? Many would claim yes. I have found that every single person who has ever handled my M1 does the same thing.

They instantly become quiet, taking it in. They lift it up and down a few times, feeling its weight, letting the history sink in. It smells of oil, steel and wood. Usually the first word uttered is "wow". The stock is full of scars and dents. Where has it been? Who used it? Did this rifle sit in some dark dusty armory for the past sixty years? Was it used in parades, for training, or was it used in battle? Was it the only thing keeping a freezing G.I. alive against an advancing enemy in Korea? Was it issued to the first troops on the ground in Vietnam? Nobody knows. They are full of mystery and history.
The second you raise it up to your shoulder, you can feel its power. Its a massive firearm compared to its contemporaries. When you squeeze the trigger, you anticipate considerable recoil, and you are not left disappointed, it is delivered. Its shocking at first, the recoil from the M2 Ball seats the buttstock firmly in your shoulder. After a few rounds, you get a feel for it. After eight rounds, the unmistakeable *ping* as the enbloc clip ejects and hits the ground.
It is an experience that you really can't describe, you just have to do it. Out of the half dozen people that have fired it, they all came away with a greater respect for the men that carried these into combat and lead us to where we are today.

That's a great-looking rifle 40-cal. I didn't know I needed an H&R until just now. [grin]

Awesome quote, xcom.
Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.

That's a great-looking rifle 40-cal. I didn't know I needed an H&R until just now. [grin]

Thank you ! There is no such thing as a bad one! even the ones in a beat condition have their own charectar. buy now, like i have said, people will regret it in the future. i now have a springfield and a HRA. 2 M1s and 2 sons. now i need to buy another one i can keep for my self.. [smile][wink]

that is my story and i am sticking to it

Thank you ! There is no such thing as a bad one! even the ones in a beat condition have their own charectar. buy now, like i have said, people will regret it in the future. i now have a springfield and a HRA. 2 M1s and 2 sons. now i need to buy another one i can keep for my self.. [smile][wink]

that is my story and i am sticking to it
Yep, 1 Garand per son is a good rule of thumb. You lucked out big time with this HRA, I doubt you'll be able to top this, but you still have the 2 FG HRAs coming in so we shall see.

I came up with this thing to buy firearms that are made in massachussetts.....well I got some Springfield's next logical step was HRA's...cant wait to get #2

It's hard to explain, but the second you pick up the M1 Garand, it speaks to you like a conduit to the past.
It just feels right. The weight, the dimensions, its controls and features.
You know instantly that it's not a target gun, it's not a hunting gun, it's a battle rifle.
It has a sole purpose. It feels serious.
You can immediately feel how it could give confidence and inspiration to an infantryman.
Everything about it means business.

This was true the first time I saw it, and it's still damn true now. I constantly wonder where my garand has been, what it's seen, where the scars on the stock came from. I need to meet up with someone "in the know" about such things. It still has markings on the wood; but, by my understanding one has been done away with by sand paper.

HRA SG shipping and at the door tomorrow!

I will look to get some pictures up when I have it in my hands.

For anyone keeping track of order timeline:
Received: 2/14
DBU: 2/22
Estore: 5/6 (my birthday!)
Shipping: 5/14
Delivered: 5/15

HRA SG shipping and at the door tomorrow!

I will look to get some pictures up when I have it in my hands.

For anyone keeping track of order timeline:
Received: 2/14
DBU: 2/22
Estore: 5/6 (my birthday!)
Shipping: 5/14
Delivered: 5/15
Nice! Check the estore invoice for the rifle's serial number.

So here is my HRA SG

SN 5649290
Muzzle 2
Throat 2

First impressions - as a special not in as good a condition as the SA SG I received about a year ago.

Happy to have GI wood (!) as that was unexpected - not the same quality as on my SA but nice (except for the large XT carved into it..hmm...)
Cartouche is visible but worn down.

Here are picts from out of the box - won't have time to pull it apart until this weekend.

Would love any feedback from the milsurp experts!

Last edited:
First impressions - as a special not in as good a condition as the SA SG I received about a year ago.
So this is a Service Grade correct not a Service Grade Special....
A Service grade HRA with a LMR barrel with 2&2 barrel specs is about as close to new barrel as you can get with out buying a CMP special with a new barrel. Nice wood I dont mind personal cartouches...

So this is a Service Grade correct not a Service Grade Special....
A Service grade HRA with a LMR barrel with 2&2 barrel specs is about as close to new barrel as you can get with out buying a CMP special with a new barrel. Nice wood I dont mind personal cartouches...

Thanks for the info - appreciate the feedback.

It is a service grade - glad to hear that is on par with what should be expected.
Don't really mind the XT on the stock, it will grow on me and gives it some history. Very glad to have GI wood!

That is an awesome rifle, Stryker. I'd be proud to own that.

Perhaps XT= Xenophon Theodoropolis of the Hellenic Armed Forces? [grin]

Stryker,
Looks like the front sight is all the way left.
You'll want to center the rear sight and try to get the rifle zeroed in by moving the front sight. Once you have that down use the rear windage adjustment to fine tune it.
Looks nice, the LMR barrel is a definite plus. Should be a great shooter.

At the CMP it must be a way they stack them or reassemble them as 2 out of 4 M1's for me had the sight all the way left. The other 2 where just tight enough to push with fingers back and forth.. This is why this is the 1st thing you should do with your M1 Detail Stripping The M1 Garand Rifle I also recomend one of these G98a, Spring Kit or a step above one of these G99a, Complete Recommended spare parts kit. The bolt is a bit tough to do but can be done with out special tools.

She's a beauty. GI wood and an LMR barrel, very desirable and good ME/TE readings too. The 'XT' just adds character. Congrats!

Is it me or does it seem like there are more CMP rifles coming with USGI wood than there have been the past few months?

field grades have gi wood and so far only 2 popped up here. From what i followed on cmp forum its about 1 in 6 for the service grades.

So here is my HRA SG

SN 5649290
Muzzle 2
Throat 2

Happy to have GI wood (!) as that was unexpected - not the same quality as on my SA but nice (except for the large XT carved into it..hmm...)
Cartouche is visible but worn down.

Here are picts from out of the box - won't have time to pull it apart until this weekend.

Would love any feedback from the milsurp experts!
Beautiful gun. Fight the urge to try and trade out the carved stock. I know I would have wanted to if it had been on my first M1 two years ago. It's a real GI stock and has some cool character. When you tear it apart, use a part sheet and document all the drawing numbers. It's a great reference for the safe paperclipped to the armorer's tag (which you should absolutely save), CMP invoice, CMP certificate, and FA-10.

Per my research, that barrel may or may not be original. While it is the right vintage, LMR barrels with that drawing number ending in "448" were only documented as original to International Havester M1's. That said, it's entirely possible a few got mixed up in shipping or swapped between IHC and HRA due to the needs of the moment of manufacturing.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback, advice and info - you are right, she is a beauty and perfect as she is!

Look forward to pulling it apart, cleaning it and getting to the range.

Thanks again

Got my HRA SG on tuesday, Muzzle 1+, throat 2+, with GI wood. Its been a long wait, but it was worth it!

0wLMWzL.jpg

I suppose this is a good place to ask this question.

I got a '55 Springfield from CMP a few years ago and it has a beautiful GI Walnut stock. However, the front hand-guard was sanded? at some point. It looks awful. I've always wanted to replace it but it is original to the rifle so I never have. Recently, it has developed a crack.

Now I have a good excuse to replace it. Any idea where I can purchase an unfinished walnut GI front hand-guard? I don't need the metal parts.
HPIM1686b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom