New Acquisitions for November 2010

There is no emoticon or smiley that can handle this.

jizz.jpg

Heh, heh, heh ...Adam lobbied for having the Pumpkin Blast on Sunday as mentioned, and threw-down that picture of him behind the triggers of that stand-mounted FA dual Ma Deuce rig (I slapped Gunnie's head on it in without comment during the Pumpkin Poll ...and just let it sit for a few days). I thought that perhaps someone would comment or guess who it was, but no one said "Boo". I didn't reveal who it was because Adam had sent the pick to me, and hadn't posted it.

Dang ...to see that thing tear up a vehicle would be fun as hell! On a Saturday or Sunday.

Explain that hardware in the back seat to the cop that pulls you over.

Looks like you already have it figured out. Sounds like a trip to Knob Creek in the spring is in your future.

Right now I am so happy that Adam is the one who usually drives when we are together. Navigator is a fun role, but it looks like I'm about to get a promotion. [smile][laugh]

Congratulations Nicole and Adam. You have a beautiful set of twins there. Heck bring it to Mansfield when I am back on my feet and we can shoot it at your hearts content.

In all seriousness, that is a great project, a fantastic outcome and one talented gunsmith. Again congratulations!!! It brought a smile to my face which was much needed.

Posted this earlier, but now it's setup with a sling and scope:

IMGP0587.jpg

I just ordered the 12 gauge version from Savage. That rifle and its design was a featured rifle in Shooting times a few issues back. It has all the features of their rifles, accu trigger, patent bedding system and backed by the Savage warranty. Congrats buddy!!![smile][smile]

I just ordered the 12 gauge version from Savage. That rifle and its design was a featured rifle in Shooting times a few issues back. It has all the features of their rifles, accu trigger, patent bedding system and backed by the Savage warranty. Congrats buddy!!![smile][smile]

I bought it with YOUR recommendation from the last gun show. I'm having one hell of a time getting the right scope setup on it though. [sad2]

unfortunately, no. That's the only surplus that I haven't ran through it. Be sure to share in the ammunition seciton of your findings if you get the chance to run it.

correction: I haven't ever ran hungarian, either.

I've used czech, bulgarian, russian surplus and I've used wolf x54r as well. The wolf ended up being something stupid like $.50 a round, and was claimed as "match" grade or something, which is horseshit. It was the worst ammo I've shot through my PSL- underpowered and all over the paper.

In order of what I found to be best to worst: bulgarian, russian, czech, and then a far far last place: wolf. The bulgarian grouped very tight. The russian sometimes tended to be quite "hot".... which was alarming but kind of fun at the same time lol

The surplus ammo can be a bit tricky. Hungarian made both heavy ball and light ball. The Finn rifles seem to like the heavy ball while the Russian 91/30 etc. prefer light ball. Also Czech silver tip is considered one of the best as to accuracy however it can cause bolts to stick due to the coating on the cases. The Czechs also made some copper washed ammo which was not used by their forces but for another comm bloc nation. it is far from their silver tip accuracy. What most collectors of Finn and Russian rifles will say is try 5 rounds of each type you have. Check the head stamp ( www.7.62x54R.net) and you can find out if its heavy ball or not. As to Wolf I never had any real luck with accuracy with the stuff either. I do like Golden Bear or Prvi brass re-loadable.

If your Russian ammo has a red tip it was machine gun ammo and should NOT be fired out of your rifle. Its way to hot. Even a strong action may not take it. Remember these firearms are 50+ years old and the actions were not made to handle that much pressure. But on the other hand the fireball out of the muzzle of a M38 or M44 is very impressive with the stuff. Yes I have shot it[smile]

PSL should use light ball, the heavy ball has been known to cause cracks in the receivers. I have never seen this first hand but have read it on other forums from folks who have posted pictures of their rifles. OUCH!

I bought it with YOUR recommendation from the last gun show. I'm having one hell of a time getting the right scope setup on it though. [sad2]

I have a shotgun scope if you want to give it a try. Let me know and I will bring it to Holbrook.

Back
Top Bottom