New acquisitions for May 2007

[shocked]

out of ALL the WWI & WWII and all milsurps that I long after... even possibly all guns in general...

THAT is the mother of them all...

I envy you JonJ... true envy.

Enjoy [wink]
Don't get too excited, it's an IAC import replica. I can't afford a real one and I'd be afraid to use it after paying that much!

Colt custom combat commander
Colt.jpg

Nice!

I almost forgot this lil' baby: Ortgies Patent, Deutsche Werke Erfurt .32 Br
OrtgiesR.jpg

OrtgiesL.jpg

That's it for this month. Stay tuned for more in June.
There are 2 more nice .32's showing in the reticle at this time[smile]

Para already has one... it's called the Warthog. Or the older ones are called the P10.

Ya but I like Smith[wink]

Also in my case S&W is about half an hour from my house so if god forbid it had to go back I can just drop it of and pick it up, no shipping.[smile]

I Finally Found One!

I've been looking for a fixed-sight 3" stainless S&W .357 for a while. I picked this up today at Four Seasons:

65.jpg

It's a pre-lock Smith & Wesson Model 65. It should make a great carry gun. I do have to get rid of the Pachmayr grips though. If anyone has some nice wooden finger-groove grips for a S&W round-butt K-frame, let me know.

I picked up an SA XD-40 today around 2 and was at the range with it by 3.

This is a pic I grabbed off the net. Same gun, just not mine (too lazy to break out the camera).

4m29dup.jpg

I love this gun.

Pilgrim, since no one asked, is that Nambu you showed what they call the "Baby Nambu"? I hear the baby is pretty rare, only 6000 or so produced.

EddieCoyle, I was looking at a 2.5 inch barreled Mod 65 at the Lunenburg show, but couldn't get the pusher to go below $600. Would you mind telling me what Carl charged for yours? I really want a 3" 65 for carry.

Boston Patriot

Things I cannot buy but want. Just started shipping this month.

CCC.jpg

Patriot, I'm with you. I love Colt 1911, but always wanted something smaller than a commander, with Colt reliability. I haven't heard many good things about the Paras in that size. Sad that Colts can't be sold here in Mass

EddieCoyle, I was looking at a 2.5 inch barreled Mod 65 at the Lunenburg show, but couldn't get the pusher to go below $600. Would you mind telling me what Carl charged for yours? I really want a 3" 65 for carry.[/QUOTE]

Summit had 3" Model 65 for $365 and 3" model 13's for under $400 a little while back. I tried to get on the bus but it seems that the 3" barreled K frames are the shiz-nit now with the 2.5 snubs also commanding very high prices as you already know.

EddieCoyle, I was looking at a 2.5 inch barreled Mod 65 at the Lunenburg show, but couldn't get the pusher to go below $600. Would you mind telling me what Carl charged for yours? I really want a 3" 65 for carry.

I paid $349. You probably didn't see it on his site because I was there 1/2 hour after it went on.

Patriot, I'm with you. I love Colt 1911, but always wanted something smaller than a commander, with Colt reliability. I haven't heard many good things about the Paras in that size. Sad that Colts can't be sold here in Mass

I've got a Para OPS, which is Officer sized, and it runs great. The single stack Paras are very reliable. Also, I had a Colt Lightweight Defender, and it was almost unusable. The aluminum frame made it so light as to be impossible to use due to recoil with normal self defense ammo. I think it was just a bad idea to make that pistol, and the new colt looks worrisome too. If you want something small, it should have some weight to it, this "lightweight" aluminum frame thing is worrisome. My Para is stainless, so it takes up the recoil nicely, doesn't kill your hand. Not to mention it has slim grips, unlike the defender which came with these fat fat grips that made it useless for concealed carry, my XD is thinner with a double stack magazine!

Anyway, just because it is Colt doesn't mean it is good. It might be, but it might not be. Also, they still haven't figured out that maybe beaver tails and extended thumb safeties and such are kind of nice to have, perhaps they should upgrade a little.

I've got a Para OPS, which is Officer sized, and it runs great. The single stack Paras are very reliable. Also, I had a Colt Lightweight Defender, and it was almost unusable. The aluminum frame made it so light as to be impossible to use due to recoil with normal self defense ammo. I think it was just a bad idea to make that pistol, and the new colt looks worrisome too. If you want something small, it should have some weight to it, this "lightweight" aluminum frame thing is worrisome. My Para is stainless, so it takes up the recoil nicely, doesn't kill your hand. Not to mention it has slim grips, unlike the defender which came with these fat fat grips that made it useless for concealed carry, my XD is thinner with a double stack magazine!

Anyway, just because it is Colt doesn't mean it is good. It might be, but it might not be. Also, they still haven't figured out that maybe beaver tails and extended thumb safeties and such are kind of nice to have, perhaps they should upgrade a little.

Outside of the lack of beavertail the gun has been soundly praised so far.
Like anything else, only time will tell if it is a good gun in the long run. This is
not a Defender and you shouldn't even try to make a comparison to that gun.
Any individual gun might be reliable and might not be reliable. Recently Goose
posted his travails regarding Para-Ordinance yet there are numerous posts
from satisfied owners of these same or similar pistols. Your experience with
the Defender is probably not what every owner had (I don't know much, if
anything, regarding the history of Defender pistols) and, in fact, around the
Colt owning fraternity they seem to be a very sought after pistol.

Your observation of small vs weight is exactly why it has an aluminum frame:
Weight, and lack of. I have a steel officer's model and it is a great pistol but
light it isn't when loaded. Weight is why they make alloy, aluminum, and
Tupperware components for guns. Are they as tough as steel? No. Will
they do the job. I expect so. YMMV.

As far as using self defense ammo. I also have a Lightweight Officer's Model
(alloy frame) and it is a extremely nice gun to shoot and control, regardless
of ammo. In fact both the Lightweight and Standard Officer's shoot similarly
and are very comfortable to shoot.

Last edited:
looks no different than my colt hbar!

personally i dont mind the MA awb models as long as theyre in the a2 configuration...its the carbines with telestocks and izzys that get me

I hear ya, I don't know why I stress over it, it's not like I would even put a bayonet or anthing else silly on it. I guess it's the fact that someone is telling me I can't that pisses me off.

Back
Top Bottom