New acquisitions for May 2007

More Revolvers

I came down with a rather severe case of RAS (Revolver Acquisition Syndrome) in May, brought on, no doubt, by the discovery that I could still shoot open sights if I used the right power of drugstore reading glasses, focused on the front sight, and let the target go fuzzy. Which, come to think of it, is exactly what you're supposed to do. So, in addition to the classic Smiths that I opened the month with, I'll close it out with a few more.

First, a Smith Model 17-3 6" (.22 LR for those who may not be familiar with Smith numbering), dating from the late '80s, essentially ANIB, and possibly unfired (in fact, sold as unfired, though I'm not sure - but at such a good price I couldn't pass it up).

107_0727.jpg

While I was in the shop (FS, of course) buying the M17 this Smith M25-5 4" caught my attention. This gun was made only in .45 Colt and gets a bit of bad press for having oversize chamber throats that allegedly degrade accuracy. I've been shooting it with my own handloads and it holds the black quite easily at 25 yards (off hand and one-handed), which is plenty good enough for me.

107_0723.jpg

Lastly, thanks to our own EddieCoyle, I was able to add a Trooper Mark III 6" (.357 Mag) to my collection of Colts. I've always been a big fan of the Mark III, which I think is on its way to becoming nearly as desirable as Pythons and Diamonbacks, but for now at least remainds affordable by ordinary non-millionaires. This one came with the larger target trips - I swapped those with the standard grips (as shown) that were on the 8" barrel version that it's sharing safe space with.

107_0734.jpg

All in all, May was a pretty good month.

[crying][crying][crying][crying][crying][crying][crying][crying]

no one liked my new bayonet and it cost as much as some milsurps !

[crying][crying][crying][crying][crying][crying][crying][crying]

I'd have probably marked out for it if I knew about Krags and the bayonets for them. Its always a good acquisition though when you can finally complete a rifle with the correct bayonet, sling, or whatever accessory you've been searching for.[grin]

Great S&W pickup's very nice

I love the Kimber also

My favorite is the history of that M1 Carbine though :)

I posted about this revolver I bought from an old-timer at my club. This has probably the nicest trigger of any firearm I own. A now discontinued Smith and Wesson 586. The photo does not do the blueing justice. It does have some wear here and there, but it is a nice piece that I will likely never part with.

DSC_4654.jpg

Now that is a nice revolver!!

I posted about this revolver I bought from an old-timer at my club. This has probably the nicest trigger of any firearm I own. A now discontinued Smith and Wesson 586. The photo does not do the blueing justice. It does have some wear here and there, but it is a nice piece that I will likely never part with.

DSC_4654.jpg

Back
Top Bottom