Never Talk to the Police

Now our hero has to pay me a shit-ton of money to stay out of jail, and try to get his LTC back.

There is virtually no chance these charges would have been brought if he had stayed inside and ignored the police.

Can you recommend anyone aligned with your views who practices law in NH? Preferably someone more financially reachable than SOG operators Dean or Nappen...

Silly scenario? The OP is an attorney and it appears to me that he is speaking about one of his clients.

I'd be surprised if something happened like that, but I guess anything's possible. Either way, I don't think it had the desired effect.

Before or after he pulls the phone out of his ass?

The point of the story was not if the bad guy gets physical, the point is to make the call is before it gets that far. Clearly some sort of exchange was going on. Good guy decided to defuse the situation by flashing his gun. This is always a bad move. Why? Because bad guys know MA cops don't like guns and they are willing and able to lie. A guy on the cape lost his business and his life savings about 7 years ago because cops believed two wanted (and registered) sex offender squatters who lied through their teeth despite familial witnesses who backed LTC holders story. Why? Because LTC holder lifted up his pant leg and made it clear he was carrying a gun when the two deviants threatened to continue their battery on the guys son.

Yes, the cops not only believed sex offenders with warrants out on them, they didn't even bother to check their IDs. The perps literally lied about everything, including their names in order to keep the cops from running their real names. It took months to sort out the charges but by then the business which relied on children as customers was done. It couldn't even have been sold because it was worthless.

That you are carrying and where is information so valuable that you need to guard it like your deepest, darkest secret. Because not only once they know it's on you, but also where, they have EVERYTHING they need to tell a plausible lie about what happened. Especially if you carry in a non standard location. Those who carry in standard locations (right hip) are at a bigger disadvantage because their first guess will likely be right.

Concealed means concealed. Live it, love it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be surprised if something happened like that, but I guess anything's possible. Either way, I don't think it had the desired effect.

It's not only possible, it happens with more regularity than you can imagine. I can't stress that once you tell people you have a gun and where, they own you.

Because bad guys know MA cops don't like guns and they are willing and able to lie.
Even if the cops believe you, "procedure" will require them to process the complaint against you and let the courts sort it out.

If you don't want to learn from the firsthand experience of a defense attorney, that's your business. Horse, water, and all that.

FYI, when I took LFI1 and 2:from Ayoob, he mentioned several cases he had consulted on where the perps had called the police on the victim.

IMO, A carry gun should be shown or removed from its holster in two reasons; I'm putting it away for the night, or I'm drawing it in self-defense. In the latter there had better be lead coming out the end.

Showing your firearm is the same as a warning shot, your just asking for trouble.

I used to agree with this, but not anymore...

Even if the cops believe you, "procedure" will require them to process the complaint against you and let the courts sort it out.

And in the meantime it will cost you everything you have to prove your innocence

Check your ego at the safe and do everything possible to avoid confrontation and by extention po-po

I watched the video a couple times and just need clarification on 1 piece. The first reason that he gives is federal rules of evidence 801.d.2.a which reads, "(d) a statement is not hearsay if: (2) the statement is made against a party and is (a) the party's own statement in either the party's individual or representational capacity."

So what I interpret that to mean is a statement is not hearsay if I make a statement against a myself. So i guess because it isn't listed as a reason a statement would not be hearsay it would be hearsay if I make a statement for myself. Am i understanding that right?

<snip>
That you are carrying and where is information so valuable that you need to guard it like your deepest, darkest secret. Because not only once they know it's on you, but also where, they have EVERYTHING they need to tell a plausible lie about what happened. Especially if you carry in a non standard location. Those who carry in standard locations (right hip) are at a bigger disadvantage because their first guess will likely be right.

Concealed means concealed. Live it, love it.

It's not only possible, it happens with more regularity than you can imagine. I can't stress that once you tell people you have a gun and where, they own you.
This, absolutely this.

And in the meantime it will cost you everything you have to prove your innocence

Check your ego at the safe and do everything possible to avoid confrontation and by extention po-po

More likely, you will be offered a no jail time but w/felony conviction deal. You will tell your attorney you are not interested as you are innocent.

You will then go home, talk to your family, and consider your attorney's words about how the courts come down hard on anyone who is so impudent as to demand a trial rather than take the deal, and that prisons are full of people who were offered "no time in stir" plea bargains. You will then start to think about where you will get the $25k-$50k you attorney has demanded to refresh the retainer to take the case to trial.

You will them call your attorney and tell him you have changed your mind.

Reality can suck.

Plain and simple just don't talk to the police at all at anytime. I learned the hardway as a teenager. Hung myself for casual conversation with a "friendly" officer. My lawer first words to me was "never never never talk to the police "

Back
Top Bottom