Never ceases to amaze me.

ARV

So I was looking up some info on flashlights on the web, and ran across a thread in CandlePowerForums. It was titled "Flashlight For Self-Defense", so I figgured I'd take a look. The guy asks about disorienting an attacker with a bright light, if 50 Lumens is enough and if anyone has experiance. Two posts stood out.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=181968

Post # 11
"Okay here's the deal.... I work in a niteclub and have used the light in the eyes trick with great success. You gotta move though, blinding light in the eyes and like Mono said you might get a 2 second jump on someone. That's in the club though. On the street it's my G19. you wouldn't use a gun to light your way down a dark alley, don't use a flashlight to defend your life. Get trained,practice,practice,practice, remove yourself from any sitiuation if you can as soon as possible. As far as the light,the brighter the better for that purpose but if you try the light trick and it don't work what will you do then? "

And then the OP's response:
Post # 12

"Thanks a lot guys for the advice. I appreciate that.
The only reason that I want to use a flashlight above anything else is that light in their eyes doesn't hurt them. I don't like being hurt so I'm sure the attacker doesn't want to get hurt, either(my Christian pacifism comes with a big debate but let's not go there). Given that guns, maces, peppersprays and brass knuckles are illegal here in Canada along with self-defense knives, I just want a safer alternative. The attacker will not have a gun on them and if all they want is the cash in my pocket, then I'll try my best to avoid physical conflict. Having said that, I think the hammerfist thing is a good idea. If you have anything to recommend within my boundaries of self-defense, please tell me.
So, how much does 200+ lumens edc cost? I'm willing to carry around anything near the size of the A2. thanks"

Some of the other posts are worth reading, and some of the ones that respond to him after those statements are pretty good. Either way, some people make me want to [banghead] [banghead]

Yea I've seen that thread...your right it does have some good posts, but some people in that same post are rediculous...by the way what were you looking for in your flashlight? I'm kinda a flashlight nut, if you havent already found what your looking for I may be able to help.

i carry my surefire only beacuse i like haveing a flashlight its bright and hell and it has that nice scaloped lens protetor i can put into someones face if i had too.

i read through a bunch of the posts there and wound up with a quark tactical. it is really nice. That being said. I read those two threads as well and it was absolutely maddening. I think the best reply was something to the effect of make sure you bring some lube for when the bad guy sticks the your mighty flashlight up your butt.

it's a flashlight. not a light sabre.
it's a flash- light.. not A FLASH-BANG!

Solloron1, I wasn't looking for a particular flashlight, I was looking up info on a cheap ($20 "River Rock") LED light I had picked up at some point in my travels and was thinking of throwing in my pocket in case I needed it at night. I wanted to know how it stacked up. Its no Surefire, I compared it to my friends a couple years ago and it was a major difference, that said, its still pretty bright. Unlike the guy in that post, I’m not trying to blind anyone, I just want to throw a little light on target if need be. Surefire and streamlight etc are a little out of my price range at the moment, other expenses have priority for a while (bills...Christmas...maybe a new gun [smile] ) If you or anyone else have any recommendations, I will gladly take them under consideration for future purchases.

Back
Top Bottom