• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES mega millions pool August 4 drawing

Cuz a firearms oriented attorney also knows everything about all the other legal fields like real estate, divorce, tax and businesd law too?
I'm an IT guy and even _I'M_ at least sufficiently familiar to pull references and precedents.

ANYTHING involving money = BIGLY IRS involvement. Especially (potentially) big money.

I'm not even in IT and I know how to silently Google problems then pretend like the solution was my idea.
I guess I'm pretty much a lawyer.
IMG_2369.png

It's been canon for practically as long as there have been lotteries that if you're not careful, the taxman is standing by to PORK the f*** out of you.

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?

My concern is how the IRS would treat that tax-wise. Since you technically retain ownership of the ticket, you would be compelled to pay taxes on the winnings at your tax rate. Given, however, the contractual obligation to "share" high-ticket winnings with others here, would that trigger a Gift Tax obligation as well?
Don't participate. You have been posting nothing but concerns since you joined this thread.

You worry about the IRS after winning. That is why a lawyer and accountant get involved.

It wouldn't be the first time a group of people wins money, NES just like to stress out about everything.

I DON'T like handing the IRS (or DRS or whomever) any more money than I have to. That's what funds our enemies.

Especially when it can be avoided with a modicum of forethought.

Note to whom the check is payable:
1150x0.jpg
Dude, it is simple ... DONT PARTICIPATE.

There, I solved all your stress.

My concern is how the IRS would treat that tax-wise. Since you technically retain ownership of the ticket, you would be compelled to pay taxes on the winnings at your tax rate. Given, however, the contractual obligation to "share" high-ticket winnings with others here, would that trigger a Gift Tax obligation as well?
The ticket is signed over to a trust. The trust pays taxes. After that, talk to a lawyer (I'm not a lawyer).

Don't participate. You have been posting nothing but concerns since you joined this thread.

You worry about the IRS after winning. That is why a lawyer and accountant get involved.
That isn't how it works with the Taxman.

Look,. gift tax is payable by the GIVER, not the recipient. It's far more likely one of us will hit on the million-dollar prize rather than the jackpot. A million divided by, say, thirty participants, is over the annual exclusion so would trigger it. And that would ding your lifetime exclusion so would mess with your estate planning.

All of this can be avoided by being smart about the ownership of the ticket from the outset. Ordinary office pools don't have this problem because it's literally a pot of cash someone brings down to the Quik-E-Mart to buy a bunch of tickets, make copies for everyone, and file the originals in the office file cabinet. No individual can be said to own any of the tickets - the office pool does. If any hit big, the lawyer and accountant are called. If small potatoes, they're cashed in and they buy lunch or whatever. (This is how it's been done here, too, in the past.)

I'm just trying to save the one of us who may be holding a winning ticket a bunch of grief.

Why is everyone complicating the multi-state tax issue? States have had to deal with this for ages. It doesn’t get any more complicated when you have a syndicate sharing lottery winnings. This too has precedent.

When multiple people win the lottery, the pot is split between them. The state where the ticket was sold collects its share of the winnings. If you live in a different state, you are responsible for taxes in that state and (hopefully) you get to deduct the first states taxes from your return.

Consider ball players. Each state they play in wants taxes on the money earned there. They’ve been doing this a long time.

There have been many cases where a group of people have formed a syndicate to play the lottery. From friends, relatives, coworkers, etc.

Look,. gift tax is payable by the GIVER, not the recipient. It's far more likely one of us will hit on the million-dollar prize rather than the jackpot. A million divided by, say, thirty participants, is over the annual exclusion so would trigger it. And that would ding your lifetime exclusion so would mess with your estate planning.

All of this can be avoided by being smart about the ownership of the ticket from the outset. Ordinary office pools don't have this problem because it's literally a pot of cash someone brings down to the Quik-E-Mart to buy a bunch of tickets, make copies for everyone, and file the originals in the office file cabinet. No individual can be said to own any of the tickets - the office pool does. If any hit big, the lawyer and accountant are called. If small potatoes, they're cashed in and they buy lunch or whatever. (This is how it's been done here, too, in the past.)

I'm just trying to save the one of us who may be holding a winning ticket a bunch of grief.
You are over thinking it.

It is the same here. No one would cash a winner. A lawyer would have to be contacted first and everything sorted out BEFORE the ticket is cashed. It would take several weeks/months.

Now, relax and stop freaking out. As @rogersmithiii would say "don't lose your sh*t".

It wouldn't be the first time a group of people wins money, NES just like to stress out about everything.

Dude, it is simple ... DONT PARTICIPATE.

There, I solved all your stress.

All right, I’m moving the furniture either Bare fist box, get over it or you’re not angry

I couldn’t imagine deal with you guys if we won. It on my list of bad ideas this is even close the registering on my gaydar.

All right, I’m moving the furniture either Bare fist box, get over it or you’re not angry

I couldn’t imagine deal with you guys if we won. It on my list of bad ideas this is even close the registering on my gaydar.
You guys?

The two people in this thread that came in and started saying "no lawyers", "OMG, IRS" and whatever other BS was you two.

But I ignored you because I suspect half the time you are drunk.

You guys?

The two people in this thread that came in and started saying "no lawyers", "OMG, IRS" and whatever other BS was you two.

But I ignored you because I suspect half the time you are drunk.
You have to get drunk before you can even understand what their saying…

I’m drunk half the time they taken to the next level

And did anybody win the jackpot?
My Google is not working very well

Yea, nobody won.
1.55 Billion with a B

It would take a little more time to get the money, but there is a Gulfstream 5 at the Nashua Airport that rents for $7500/hr last time I heard.

Malodave

PS getting my tickets tonight for the next drawing.
Clay Lacy has it. They go empty out of Nashua all the time. There's one in Oxford, CT, and another that's in and out of Nashua a bit. I think an NES group buy is in order:
1691424372818.png

I feel like we should start a new thread in the members area. With clear rules stipulated, like only $1M+ wins being shared.

$10k doesn’t seem worth the pain of splitting 40-60 ways.
If someone wants to start a thread, I am IN.

However, I won't be that guy telling them what the rules are.

That being said, you do make a good point. The $10K (less after taxes) will be gone in lawyer fees trying to figure out the taxes so the winner is not stuck paying it all. So your point might make sense.

Back
Top Bottom