Need Glass and BUIS recommendations for a 308 AR Platform

Rockrivr1

NES Member
In my search for a new 308 AR platform, I just bought this:

images2.jpg

Ok, this pic sucks. Here's the link http://www.rockriverarms.com/index....ategory_id=256&CFID=63545930&CFTOKEN=87319598

ar10.jpg

It's a Rock River Arms LAR-8 Standard A4. In the top picture it's the bottom rifle. The one without the carry handle. I was lucky as these have been on back order with RRA since they came out in 2006. Wait times have been close to a year for them to be delivered.

Now that I have it there are SO many things I want to do with her. Install a Magpul UBR stock, Daniels Defense quad rail, harris bipod, etc'. First things first though. I need to get optics and BUIS before I do anything else.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Troy (Go firgure [wink]) or YHM folding sights. Unless I'm mistaken, standard AR15 folding sights will work with a 308 AR as well. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Since the front site will be on the gas block, I'm thinking I need to find a front sight designed specifically for a gas block. May need to be a little bit taller.

For the glass, I'm at a loss as to where to start. I was thinking about maybe getting a TA11J308 Trijicon like this one.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?partid=709

I was also looking at either the Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T Gen 2
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/pro...opes/mark-4-3-5-10x40mm-lrt-m2-illum-reticle/

and the Nightforce 3.5-15x56 NXS
http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfo...5x50___3_5-15x56_/3_5-15x50___3_5-15x56_.html

Both have illuminated recticles and bullet drop compensators, which work well with the 308/7.62 caliber. Only problem is that all three options are friggin expensive as hell. I know, you don't skimp on optics.

So, if this was your rifle, what would you put on it for Optics and BUIS? All price ranges or options are open, but I do need to make the mortgage payment at the end of the month, so no $3K optics please. [wink]

Last edited:
BUIS: Troy Because they really are just the best and I bet vellnueve and his obligatory YHM recommendation...[grin] They will work great on your rifle....

Glass: I like the ACOG, but if you go for traditional glass, it's hard to argue with your Leupold choice. Whatever you decide on, mount it in a LaRue and be a happy camper....

Congrats on your rifle Troy!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. This will mostly only be used for plinking on the bench or prone. Granted it'll be another SHTF rifle if ever needed, but for the most part it will be a range whore. I was leaning towards the ACOG, but wanted to see if a traditional scope would be more versitile. Max range I'm thinking would be 2-300 yards at most as that is the longest that I have available to me. But it would be nice if my scope/ACOG gave me the ability to reach out farther.

I was seriously thinking about getting a Super Snipers Scope as they are in the $250-$300 range and I've read a ton of good reviews. Only down side is that it doesn't have an illuminated recticle. Not sure how much I'd actually use that functionality, but it would be nice to have.

For BUIS I have narrowed it down to either the Troy or YHM. My front site would be mounted on a gas block rail, so I need a front sight that is made for that particular setup. Not a whole lot of those out there. Both of these vendors make that particular sight, so I'll have to see if I can find a deal on either.

The YHM QDS sights can be had for $170 from Midway with dealer discount. They sit as low or lower than the Troys when folded down. They're very solid on the rails and have little play when flipped up. They're also $80 cheaper than the Troys as a set.

For scopes, take a look at the Bushnell Elite series if you want to save some cash. They're pretty solidly built - I have two different models on two seperate rifles and they're holding up well, but they may not have all the bells and whistles you're looking for. Other than that, Leupold is obviously a great choice.

Whatever scope you buy, it needs to be mounted in an LT-104 (or LT-135) from Larue Tactical. Even MassMark won't disagree with me there.

Leupold VXIII or VXII rifle scopes are just as good as the MK4 and carry a smaller price tag. Do you really need BDC if it will be a plinker at the range? Also the Bushnell Elite series are good glass,same for the Burris line of scopes.

Leupold VXIII or VXII rifle scopes are just as good as the MK4 and carry a smaller price tag. Do you really need BDC if it will be a plinker at the range? Also the Bushnell Elite series are good glass,same for the Burris line of scopes.

I'm starting to think the same thing. I have two VXIIIs and they are great glass. One is even on my 50 BMG and has stood up to the punishment. Maybe something for me to look into more.

I don't really "need" a BDC, but it would be pretty nice. I use the mil-dots on my VxIIIs for that so I don't actually need a dial to work it. I guess it's bell and whistle that would be cool to have. Then again, I'll most likely just be shooting surplus mostly. Will get some good ammo to see what she can really do, but that will be way to expensive for shooting at say a car shoot........

I was seriously thinking about getting a Super Snipers Scope as they are in the $250-$300 range and I've read a ton of good reviews. Only down side is that it doesn't have an illuminated recticle. Not sure how much I'd actually use that functionality, but it would be nice to have.

I paid $425 including shipping for my 16x42 Super Sniper and Warne AR flat top rings. Pics of the set up are in the January New Acquisitions thread.

That about your cheapest bet for two great products. I'm partial to the SS scopes because I've never seen anything come close to their quality for the price. Fixed power and no illuminated reticle means less moving parts to break.

I'm going to suggest a combo of the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 and LaRue Tactical LT-104. Should be able to get that combo for about $380 or so.

If you're looking at shooting out to 200-300 yards, the ACOG is by far your best bet. Not only will it function well within that range, it will function effectively at even closer distances.

I have a Tasco SS mounted on my Remington 700P. It's a fantastic scope and by far the best in its price range, however it has a couple drawbacks:

- @Fixed 10x magnification - Great for long distance shooting, but good luck tracking a target at 100 (even 200) yards or closer; the magnification is just too high. Sure, it can be done, but you're setting yourself at a huge disadvantage.
- It's BIG. One of the reasons it is so affordable is that the body of the scope is much larger and heavier than other scopes with the same or similar attributes. Not without reason however, this makes it incredibly durable and also qualifies it for use on .50 calibers. (IIRC, it was designed on a Navy contract for the Barrett, but that may just be hearsay.)

If you are looking to do shooting at relatively close proximity on a platform like an AR (one that would technically suit more of an MBR than Sniper role if that's what you're aiming for), than I would hands down go for the ACOG. Site it in and compensate from there; namely, you don't need the adjustable turrets unless you're really pulling the shots out there.

This is not to say the ACOG is without drawbacks...I would LOVE to have one on my CETME but the price tag is just too much for a college student to stomach.

Again, this is someone who is a huge fan of the Tasco SS and absolutely love it on my Remington. The NO illuminated reticle thing doesn't bother me at all as I see almost no advantage to having one except the WOW factor or bad eyesight. At night, they just washout...In the daytime, I find them distracting.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom