• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Natick LTC renewal

My LTC is up for renewal . I recently moved from a "green" town to Natick , a "red" town .
I've heard that they will not renew my ltc but might give me a restricted license . I'm also wondering if they might just issue me an FID because I don't belong to any gun club . They ask what gun club you belong to on the renewal application .
If there is anyone out there who lives or has lived in Natick , what can I expect ?

I've heard that they will not renew my ltc but might give me a restricted license

if they give you a restricted license, they ARE renewing your LTC. Natick, from stories here, seems to be somewhat inconsistent with licensing process. SOme know people with ALP, some with restrictions. In this situation, I would make sure you know what you are talking about and look as professional as possible. Its unfortunate that anyone has to give that kind of advice, but you know, this is MA afterall.

if they give you a restricted license, they ARE renewing your LTC. Natick, from stories here, seems to be somewhat inconsistent with licensing process. SOme know people with ALP, some with restrictions. In this situation, I would make sure you know what you are talking about and look as professional as possible. Its unfortunate that anyone has to give that kind of advice, but you know, this is MA afterall.

Know what I'm talking about ??? Could you be more specific . What do I need to know/say ?

My LTC is up for renewal . I recently moved from a "green" town to Natick , a "red" town .
I've heard that they will not renew my ltc but might give me a restricted license . I'm also wondering if they might just issue me an FID because I don't belong to any gun club . They ask what gun club you belong to on the renewal application.

1. There is no such requirement on the REAL application; the FA 25/26;

2. Case law from Quincy District Court struck DOWN precisely that "requirement" by Randolph;

3. I see no such question on the "application form" on the Natick PD website; and

4. The "addendum" Natick tacks on may well be illegal, as:

a. By statute, the only permissible form is that from the CHSB; and

b. The PD's authority to demand that "release" to review medical records is thin.

It is also redundant, as its imbecilic section about 209A restraining orders is ALREADY on the real application - read Question 12.

Natick has a new interim chief Nick Mabardy. How this will be different from the Chief Manix days is unknown.

Stop down and talk with the licensing officer. They can give you a good idea of what to expect. Let us know how it goes.

I know for a fact that normal people, without special social status, position of influence, or connections have obtained unrestricted LTC's under the Mannix regime. I did when he was very new to the job (and have since moved), and a good shooting buddy who presents a respectable image, but does not have any special pull, gets his unrestricted license renewed without difficulty each time.

I don't doubt that people have received LTC's ALP under Mannix. But I also know people who have received restrictions too. Including myself, prior to getting a letter from my employer at the time. Only then did they change it for me. I'm not complaining. Ultimately I got what I needed, but I can understand people saying Natick goes both ways. Or at least used to.

I can't comment on how much involvement Mannix had when I got my LTC. I only spoke with Blanchard who was doing licenses at the time. For all I know he signs whatever is put on his desk in regards to restrictions. Perhaps he left it up to her discretion.

I was told to speak with detective Arena when I bring in my renewal paperwork .
Anyone know him , any comments ????
It would probably not be good manners to ask if he knows why his father let the Chappaquidick Kid off the hook (assuming, of course, that he is the son of the former Natick Chief Arena who was the Chappaquidick chief before that).

The Mannix regime may have been good about ALP, but it's worth noting that Chief Mannix spoke before town meeting about 15 or so years ago in favor of the local AW ban being proposed by selectmen Fessenden. Fessenden had seen the AWs in the Arms Merchant in downtown Natick (closed years ago) and started to experience increased intercranial pressure.

I would suggest applying now, as strong new agendas are more likely to creep in with a new chief from the outside than with someone on the force whose instinct is probably going be to "do it the way it has always been done".

It would probably not be good manners to ask if he knows why his father let the Chappaquidick Kid off the hook (assuming, of course, that he is the son of the former Natick Chief Arena who was the Chappaquidick chief before that).

If that's the Chief that I had a long lunch-time chat with about Ted the drunken murderer . . . he was still fuming 20 years after the fact about that deal. He was ORDERED to drop the investigation by the Feds, according to the story he told me over lunch. He was looking to light Teddie up for that deal. So, no it wouldn't be good manners to ask about that. [thinking]

Best foot forward

Nick M is a great guy! He may not have a lot to do with renewals except signing what the LT. brings to him.
[hmmm]
My advice is make an appointment with the LT. or whoever runs it, and show up bathed, shaved, suited & tied, and shoes shined.
[grin]

Nick Marbardy was in my parents wedding.
make sure your a member of a club, and get a hold of Eddie before you apply, His police email is available thru the NPD website. . Find out what he wants. Email me (not PM) once youve got your ducks in a row, I may be able to help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom