Nashua, NH - Man pulls gun on of-duty cop over parking space

It seems to me having a "retired" police badge is about as authoritative as a "CCW badge". I should get one just so I can flash it if someone pulls a weapon on me.

Most every agency that I know of issues retired officers badges to officers who retire in good standing. It is a tradition out of respect for years of service.

It seems to me having a "retired" police badge is about as authoritative as a "CCW badge"...
Since we are supposed to be a gun forum, (rather than just stretch to find any possible way a cop was "wrong")... Does your hypothetical "CCW badge" let you legally carry in any state??? because his real "retired badge" lets him do that... look into LEOSA* [wink]

(* yes I know I over simplified LEOSA)

Last edited:
Most every agency that I know of issues retired officers badges to officers who retire in good standing. It is a tradition out of respect for years of service.

The problem in the story is that the officer was "using/showing the badge", and for what purpose ?
My brother retired and has one (retired officer badge), should he still be allowed to play police ?

The problem in the story is that the officer was "using/showing the badge", and for what purpose ?
My brother retired and has one (police badge), should he still be playing police ?

Where does it say he was playing police? He is currently employed as LEO in Massachusetts.He is not playing. Why are people getting hung up on this badge thing? Look, if I were having a confrontation with some one that I did not initiate and it involved something I knew something about, I would attempt to establish credibility. Look at this way: some dude is leaning on your car and says you can't move and that he is going to call the police. You tell him to go ahead and call the police but not to lean on your car. If you are a retired LEO, you might want to say:" look I am retired from Nashua PD and based on my experience and training, your actions are questionable. Here is my proof that I know what I am talking about. I'm not a bad guy."

So Sam, there is a purpose, whether it was the stated purpose or the intended purpose, you have been given a reason...you can accept that or not, but if you think it is okay for someone to point a loaded firearm at someone who is unarmed and who NO PERSONAL THREAT TO YOU, but you are pissed at them because you don't like the way that person parks his car....then mister, you have some major problems.

Last edited:
My brother retired and has one (retired officer badge), should he still be allowed to play police ?

He initially Told the suspect that he was an LEO.... It was not until After he had a gun pointed at him (for illegally parking in a private parking lot) did he show his badge.

He met deadly force with the showing of a badge to attempt to diffuse the situation since he was unarmed.

Take the LEO and badge out of it..... You still think it is OK to pull a gun on an unarmed person over a parking spot on someone elses private property.

Full retard is an understatement.......

He initially Told the suspect that he was an LEO.... It was not until After he had a gun pointed at him (for illegally parking in a private parking lot) did he show his badge.

He met deadly force with the showing of a badge to attempt to diffuse the situation since he was unarmed.

Take the LEO and badge out of it..... You still think it is OK to pull a gun on an unarmed person over a parking spot on someone elses private property.

Full retard is an understatement.......

Again, the reason for telling the guy he is/was a LEO is ?????

Again, the reason for telling the guy he is/was a LEO is ?????

Are you being obtuse on purpose? He's retired AND working as an LEO. Identifying yourself as such doesn't immediately cause some jedi mind shit to happen, it was a strategy to defuse the situation with the wackjob.

Yeah, good for both parties it did. I think the guy probably thought to himself, do I really want to shoot a cop?

The fact that the guy is a cop is mostly irrelevant. I am betting that the other guy's elevator doesn't quite go to the top floor here.

-Mike

Where does it say he was playing police? He is currently employed as LEO in Massachusetts.He is not playing. Why are people getting hung up on this badge thing? Look, if I were having a confrontation with some one that I did not initiate and it involved something I knew something about, I would attempt to establish credibility. Look at this way: some dude is leaning on your car and says you can't move and that he is going to call the police. You tell him to go ahead and call the police but not to lean on your car. If you are a retired LEO, you might want to say:" look I am retired from Nashua PD and based on my experience and training, your actions are questionable. Here is my proof that I know what I am talking about. I'm not a bad guy."

So Sam, there is a purpose, whether it was the stated purpose or the intended purpose, you have been given a reason...you can accept that or not, but if you think it is okay for someone to point a loaded firearm at someone who is unarmed and who NO PERSONAL THREAT TO YOU, but you are pissed at them because you don't like the way that person parks his car....then mister, you have some major problems.

Nice ass-umption(s).

[sarcasm] I'm sure the response would be the same if it was a politician, with a (D) and/or from Cambridge. [/sarcasm]

"Entitlement" and
"Do you know who I am"
is what I see here.

Last edited:
Many of the speculative posts postulated that the n'er-do-well may have been reacting to what he perceived as a threat and is suggesting that the subject may have simply been incompetent rather than evil. Such a suggestion in no way implies that the driver did anything whatsoever wrong.

The badge really conveys two messages: (a) The person is LEO and unlikely to assault you, so relax your defensive posture, and (b) If the police get involved in a conflict between you two, you will lose.

Last edited:
It seems to me having a "retired" police badge is about as authoritative as a "CCW badge". I should get one just so I can flash it if someone pulls a weapon on me.
I say go for it if you thought it would deescalate the situation with some deranged guy who initiated a confrontation over parking.
Why are people getting hung up on this badge thing? Look, if I were having a confrontation with some one that I did not initiate and it involved something I knew something about, I would attempt to establish credibility.
The problem is, to a majority of those on this site, the badge likely decreases credibility. Hence the debate.

Last edited:
TomH:

I say go for it if you thought it would deescalate the situation with some deranged guy who initiated a confrontation over parking.

Except he would get in trouble for "impersonating a police officer" if he did.

Yea because NH cops who make $40K-$65K and don't double or triple their salaries with outlandish detail hours are just in such a high class that they forgot what it was like to be a mere commoner 25 years back[rolleyes] They are right up there with the John Kerry's, Nancy Pelosi's and Elizabeth Warren's of the world. Some people must be really insecure with their own lives if they insist that all cops are riding high on the gravy train and constantly acting like the liberal elite. A subset of the overpaid cops in places like MA, NY and NJ act like this. Many LEOs could not give a fu*ck about throwing their weight around on duty unless they absolutely have to, never mind chomping at the bit to pull a badge and act like they are better off duty.

Enough of the armchair elitist bullsh*it. Get your head out of your ass for 2 seconds and answer this: would you be thinking about all the ways you could "pull rank" on somebody and show that you are above them if they were to come and put a gun to your head? Or, would you be thinking of the best way you possibly could to a)save your friggin life b)potentially defuse the situation so it does not even end violently. I'm amazed at the people who like to sit at a computer and take shots at what somebody does when a gun is leveled on them and they are facing a life and death situation. I've had guns pulled on me and even if you have a minor amount of "training" for said scenario, the first thing that happens is you stop thinking and acting straight with the huge adrenaline dump. Hopefully you recover enough within about 1 second and figure out what the hell you need to do. Somewhere in there, you may end up having a rational thought or two. The last thing you would be concerned about is finding ways to boss a subject around with your badge. It is, however, pretty reasonable to think to go for an item that may make the guy back down or at least think twice. As others have said, identifying yourself as a LEO does not equal taking legal action as a LEO.

Apologies if you have been in these types of situations and can handle them like a Sunday morning walk in the park.

I'm not going to argue with you by repeating what has been said 5 million times in this thread, Mark056 basically summed it up in saying that it establishes credibility and obviously it worked to defuse a potentially deadly situation.The cop did not go looking for trouble with anybody and there is no evidence he reacted like a hot head screaming and yelling that he was a cop and how dare you question me on parking. That would be a "do you know who I am" situation. That is also what one of those D's from Cambridge that you describe would do.

And what are YOU doing ?.. unless you were THERE

oh, and cops credibility is not to be questioned, 'cause they never lie, cheat or steal

The only one with their head up their ass is you, so far that you cannot see anything else outside the "cops version" as possible.
Mark speaks as if he was there, and is hell bent in convincing everyone that he knows everything, he's right, and all us "monday morning quarterbacks" assumptions are nothing compare to his.

YOU need to remove your head, from, you know where.

You know what ?, you and Mark win. You both were there, know it all, and all us peasants should just sit and listen to you, how dare us challenge or think of anything else besides what the cop said, or what you and Mark concludes. OK master ?.

For flashing a CCW badge?

It's a badge. If it were a costume instead of uniform, that would still count. It doesn't have to be official "Whelen" blue lights, it is all in the "intent". When the interpretation is left up to those with the power, it is what it is. See how we get screwed left, right, and sideways on this? The police have it rigged so no matter what, they are always right.

Except he would get in trouble for "impersonating a police officer" if he did.
Not if you don't hold yourself out to be one.

Numerous professions carry badges other than police officers. As long as you don't whip out a CCW badge and claim to be a cop, you're good to go.

Now, do I think that would actually work in deescalating the situation? Probably not, but you were the one who claimed you thought a CCW badge it was just as authoritative and that you should whip it out in a scenario above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a badge. If it were a costume instead of uniform, that would still count. It doesn't have to be official "Whelen" blue lights, it is all in the "intent". When the interpretation is left up to those with the power, it is what it is. See how we get screwed left, right, and sideways on this? The police have it rigged so no matter what, they are always right.
Yeah, let's get rid of mens rea requirements for all crimes and make every offense strict liability. What an awesome world that would be.

Really, I'm sorry if I come off as insulting--I really do--but that point makes absolutely no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what are YOU doing ?.. unless you were THERE

oh, and cops credibility is not to be questioned, 'cause they never lie, cheat or steal

The only one with their head up their ass is you, so far that you cannot see anything else outside the "cops version" as possible.
Mark speaks as if he was there, and is hell bent in convincing everyone that he knows everything, he's right, and all us "monday morning quarterbacks" assumptions are nothing compare to his.

YOU need to remove your head, from, you know where.

You know what ?, you and Mark win. You both were there, know it all, and all us peasants should just sit and listen to you, how dare us challenge or think of anything else besides what the cop said, or what you and Mark concludes. OK master ?.

No, I do not speak as if I were there. I merely proposed an alternative theory to yours. You, in fact, speak as though you were there and that the LEO couldn't possibly be right. You appear to have certain non-objective prejudices which may be based anecdotally on personal experience, but if that is the case, and that lays the foundation of your position, it is actually quite subjective.

In an earlier post you posited the question or opened up the door to an alternative theory of the events as you perceived them. Then when an alternative theory is presented, you assail me with lightly veiled ad hominem attacks. Not a really good defensible position.

In your worldview, I can only conclude that you perceive any action by a police officer as bad, and that the citizen was in the right, that police officers consistently lie and are horrifically overpaid. Actually your anger towards the police establishment might allow one to conclude that you are jealous of police officers because they make more money than you. One could also, legitimately ask: did you aspire to be a police officer one time, and were you rejected? Your lack of open mindedness borders on the appalling and you have attempted to derail this thread with a somewhat emotional response. Why are you so angry? You see "entitlement and don't you know who I am ?" As it stands that is one theory of the incident and you get your shorts in a wad when someone presents an alternative theory. I suppose that you believe that you have a monopoly on the truth? How can that be, you weren't there either !

Everyone will have their day in court and alternative theories of the incident will be presented before a jury...that by the way is the system that we operate under.

Last edited:
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. "

Everyone will have their day in court and alternative theories of the incident will be presented before a jury...that by the way is the system that we operate under.

Probably not. More likely, the DA will overcharge and offer a "no jail time but loss of gun rights" deal for the defendant, thus creating a situation where a not guilty plea, even if the subject feels he is innocent, comes at tremendous cost and risk.

Lots of people are blackmailed into forfeiting their day in court.

Back
Top Bottom