• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My son may be moving to MA...

There might be some other fed laws that can come into play (eg, acting as a dealer without a license) but those have nothing to do with straws.
This is the primary risk I see when people post this stuff in public, especially WRT MA. Even then, you have to get caught. Then they still have to prove that your hobby doesn't basically revolve around trading guns like baseball cards...in effect, "renting" them.

This is the primary risk I see when people post this stuff in public, especially WRT MA. Even then, you have to get caught. Then they still have to prove that your hobby doesn't basically revolve around trading guns like baseball cards...in effect, "renting" them.
I also think it would be tough to prove....and also tough to even get on the atf radar if you bought say....3 glocks of different model......6 months before moving into mass.....then sell those 3 glocks in mass over the course of 6 months private sale using an ffl yor conduct the transfers.

And by definition.....those are NOT straw purchases. Period. Now.....even proving they were purchased with the intent to flip (as in qcting as an ffl without a license) is:
1. Hard....because it could be very likely a guy in a southern state could own 3 or so glocks......then get to mass and say damn these are worth more than I paid for them up here......there's the reasonable doubt the prosecution can't over come.

2. Ridiculous to even worry about...... Its 3 tupperware handguns over the course of a year......I know at least a dozen guys that buy and sell privately triple that many guns in a year cuz they just can't help buying and trying and selling and buying.

Last edited:
I also think it would be tough to prove....and also tough to even get on the atf radar if you bought say....3 glocks of different model......6 months before moving into mass.....then sell those 3 glocks in mass over the course of 6 months private sale using an ffl yor conduct the transfers.

And by definition.....those are NOT straw purchases. Period. Now.....even proving they were purchased with the intent to flip (as in qcting as an ffl without a license) is:
1. Hard....because it could be very likely a guy in a southern state could own 3 or so glocks......then get to mass and say damn these are worth more than I paid for them up here......there's the reasonable doubt the prosecution can't over come.

2. Ridiculous to even worry about...... Its 3 tupperware handguns over the course of a year......I know at least a dozen guys that buy and sell privately triple that many guns in a year cuz they just can't help buying and trying and selling and buying.
Completely agreed

What the hell are you smoking?

A one way 1.5 hour commute on a bright sunny day is not worth it to me at any price.
12 of my years with DEC in Maynard was facing ~90 minute drive (~35 miles) of stop-no-go traffic, most of the stop-no-go traffic was on Rte. 128. Once I left DEC, I swore that I'd never do that again! Life is too short!!

12 of my years with DEC in Maynard was facing ~90 minute drive (~35 miles) of stop-no-go traffic, most of the stop-no-go traffic was on Rte. 128. Once I left DEC, I swore that I'd never do that again! Life is too short!!
For about 5 years I commuted haverhill to Mitford....about 60 miles one way. Friday's on 495 north in the summer was a 2.5 hour ride home. I'd put 45k a year on my vehicles easy. Then I got an easier commute when they moved me to devens RFTA and I was only 30 miles one way. Then I got out of the active national guard and took a job in South Boston and wanted to kill myself every day (the pay made it worth it). Now.....I took a great management position exactly 1.7 miles from my house and I'm in heaven. I put 8000 miles on my truck last year. The current time as I type this post is 6:34am and I still have time for one more cup of coffee before heading to work for 7am. 😂😂😂

By far, the best advice so far is commute from New Hampshire if possible. Bringing a bunch of off list semi autos into the state is not a great idea. Off list pistols (as opposed to revolvers) are not that difficult to get and he doesn't want the ATF taking an interest in him.

i would not wish it on my worst enemy. from NH to downtown boston? every day? no way.
but, if office duty is only once a week and rest is all remote - well, may be.
Onset to Cambridge was worse. House-sat (dogs) a friend's place in NH for a week once and it was less stress than coming up from the south.

I could actually drive all the way to my office and park in the mornings effortlessly, but with the streets and pathing back to southbound stuff, it took me 3.5 hours to get home.

Onset to Cambridge was worse. House-sat (dogs) a friend's place in NH for a week once and it was less stress than coming up from the south.

I could actually drive all the way to my office and park in the mornings effortlessly, but with the streets and pathing back to southbound stuff, it took me 3.5 hours to get home.
3.5? It is horrible.

This thread delivers. Guy asks a straightforward, narrow question about his son bringing his guns with him to MA. Thread goes down a straw purchase and commute time rat hole. Pure awesomeness.

That is 9,360 hours (assuming 90min each way). Not taking into account PTO or holidays. Lets round it down to 9K hours.

9K hours is 375 days of your life spent sitting in a car commuting to work.

Damn.

That is 9,360 hours (assuming 90min each way). Not taking into account PTO or holidays. Lets round it down to 9K hours.

9K hours is 375 days of your life spent sitting in a car commuting to work.

Damn.

Worse is the >1000 nights have spent in Marriott properties over last 30-something years. Yikes.

See if he can find an apt in NH with a 6 month lease. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that if he does a good job he isn't going to be forced to come into the office in the fall, at least not full time, especially if he is an engineer. He can tell his employer that he moved close (mileage wise) and had no idea it was going to take 2 hours to travel 30 miles to work. Worst case scenario he can commute for 2 months then move to MA if he absolutely has to.

Back
Top Bottom