• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My friend is looking at time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, since the next step of getting a lawyer is clear, let me ask the logical next question:

What preventative measures have you all taken so that your relatives will not have to deal with this when you're gone? Assuming they can't/won't get licensed (based on age, politics or just plain laziness) would they know of a shop that will take the consignment? Will they know how to find fair values?

If you keep your guns properly locked up and then you die, the other people in the house probably won't get in trouble for them. I was told that the remaining living relatives in the house, assuming they don't have LTC of their own, need to call up their local police and say "come and get them" then the police will remove the guns and all is well. That of course is a total waste, so it is a good idea to have some kind of plan to get the guns in the hands of someone else who will put them to better use.

If you keep your guns properly locked up and then you die, the other people in the house probably won't get in trouble for them. I was told that the remaining living relatives in the house, assuming they don't have LTC of their own, need to call up their local police and say "come and get them" then the police will remove the guns and all is well. That of course is a total waste, so it is a good idea to have some kind of plan to get the guns in the hands of someone else who will put them to better use.

That's why I encouraged one of my sons to buy the FFL in southern NH. Jack.

well if the rifle was unable to shoot because of defective/ old parts/corrosion is it still considered a firearm?

And he's an honest kid he told the police how it was a family heir loom.....
Mistake #2. (Mistake #1 was not getting an FID in the first place.)

So, since the next step of getting a lawyer is clear, let me ask the logical next question:

What preventative measures have you all taken so that your relatives will not have to deal with this when you're gone? Assuming they can't/won't get licensed (based on age, politics or just plain laziness) would they know of a shop that will take the consignment? Will they know how to find fair values?
Every one of my guns is listed on an addendum to my will by make, model #, caliber and serial number along with who they go to... and all my heirs either have the proper paperwork (if they're in an unfree state) or live in a free state. It's an addendum and not the will itself (which just has a clause saying to dispose of the firearms to the people listed in the addendum) so that I do not have to get the will signed by two people AND notarized again every time I buy or sell a guy... AND so that my gun list does not get made a public document, unlike my will.

I think he told me it was a Remington 1903-a3 30-06 ...he basically just said he could be looking at a felony and might see time if the judge really wanted to make an example of him. He was charged with improper storage of firearm, no trigger lock(thrown out), Unregistered firearm, 3 counts of stolen property (he found town signs and a police license plate on the road and kept them in his room as decoration)
Oh, this just gets better and better.

Here's the question...do they then have to "register" those weapons via FA10 forms just as we do if we buy a rifle or shotgun out of state and bring it back to MA?
No.

He was charged with improper storage of firearm, no trigger lock(thrown out), Unregistered firearm, 3 counts of stolen property (he found town signs and a police license plate on the road and kept them in his room as decoration)

Well..... I see that you edited this and I missed where you added the whole new angle of the stolen property.

Do you really expect us to believe this?...because I have found many town signs and police license plates on the ground....[rolleyes]

Don't take this the wrong way but..........as usual.............there is more to the story.

We really need the GOAL "Civil Rights & Public Safety Act" bill to pass!

What are you talking about....signs get knocked down by plows all the time...so he took them home...and another time a police cruiser was in a crash near his house and he license plate was just in the road, he took it..not to mention he was probably 17 when he got these signs.

Bottom line, he's honest and a good kid(but this doesn't help in court I know), I got him a job and he worked his butt off...I just hope the judge has some mercy because putting him through the system is just a waste of our money and his time..there is no other part of the story man, he's had a rough life raising his mother alone (i know boohoo everyone has problems) But honestly I just don't want my friend going away when real criminals walk the streets everyday....

Last edited:
What are you talking about....signs get knocked down by plows all the time...so he took them home...and another time a police cruiser was in a crash near his house and he license plate was just in the road, he took it..not to mention he was probably 17 when he got these signs.

Bottom line, he's honest and a good kid(but this doesn't help in court I know), I got him a job and he worked his butt off...I just hope the judge has some mercy because putting him through the system is just a waste of our money and his time..there is no other part of the story man, he's had a rough life raising his mother alone (i know boohoo everyone has problems) But honestly I just don't want my friend going away when real criminals walk the streets everyday....

Up until I heard about your friend's signs and license plates, I really had empathy for him. You honestly expect me to believe that he "found" all of those objects. Poor judgement which only act as nails in the coffin that is already being built for him. Now I tend to judge him as being stupid and immature...and if you believe that there are just dozens of street signs, license plates and such laying about knocked over by snowplows then I have a bridge I'll sell you in Brooklyn...as for you trying to perpetrate the theory and have us believe it; I would have to say: don't insult our intelligence.

Methinks that there is a whole lot more to this story...I'll stay tuned for the next episode.

Mark056

I was told that the remaining living relatives in the house, assuming they don't have LTC of their own, need to call up their local police and say "come and get them" then the police will remove the guns and all is well. use.

Well, I guess if you like lighting your cigars with $100 bills, that would be one way to handle an estate transfer of firearms. Another (better) way would be to keep your pie hole shut, have your lawyer file the paperwork so that you are executor of the will, and then dispose of the firearms without any "help" from the local poleeze. I believe you have 6 months to do the transfer, and even after that they do not push it.

Up until I heard about your friend's signs and license plates, I really had empathy for him. You honestly expect me to believe that he "found" all of those objects. Poor judgement which only act as nails in the coffin that is already being built for him. Now I tend to judge him as being stupid and immature...and if you believe that there are just dozens of street signs, license plates and such laying about knocked over by snowplows then I have a bridge I'll sell you in Brooklyn...as for you trying to perpetrate the theory and have us believe it; I would have to say: don't insult our intelligence.

Methinks that there is a whole lot more to this story...I'll stay tuned for the next episode.

Mark056

I'd say that's a little harsh. He did say the street signs were acquired when the guy was in his teens. Who among us didn't do dumb shit when we were teenagers? Keeping them this far along in life though, seems kind of stupid though.
eta: shit i had a stop sign in my room from the time I was 16 until midway through college. And yes, I actually did find it on the side of the road, knocked down from a plow. That being said, just because it was knocked down and I "found" it there doesn't mean taking it was anything less than stealing public property as it was in good enough condition that it could have been put back up. Moral of the story: ya you really can find street signs laying about on the side of the road.

My bed is just about every charge gets dropped altogether, and the improper storage either gets a plea down to something less severe, or they go with the minimum punishment. I'm not a betting man, but I'd guess he ends up with a fine and not time, and sure as shit no gun rights (at least in the PRM) for life.

Last edited:

Bottom line, this is Massachusetts, if he wants a judge to show him some mercy maybe next time he should get charged in Fantasyland.

I honestly had empathy for the kid... maybe I still have a little empathy left. People pass on their guns to their kids or other relatives when they die and it isn't documented. It happens. If it's true about the condition of the gun, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he wasn't going to use it to commit any crimes. That's why the liberals want licensing and gun registration, right?

I couldn't care less if someone has street signs they "found." The part that pissed me off what that he had a police license plate. It could have been just a regular license plate that he found. It doesn't matter. For all we know he would have attached that plate to his car to conceal his identity or be deceptive about his identity.

Lesson: If you find license plates, don't take them. Turn them in.

Yea, everybody does stupid stuff when they were teenagers. He's not a teenager anymore...

I'm also curious as to exactly what is on his criminal record. It may be the fact that he has a criminal record that he isn't getting any breaks.

Last edited:
I know as soon as he told me he had the signs my stomach dropped, I knew how dumb that was, definitely a "nail in the coffin" for sure, but yea I'm not trying to "insult anyones intelligence" on the forum...what kind of elaborate heist is going on in your head right now to make you think theres "more" to the story..?

Last edited:
shit i had a stop sign in my room from the time I was 16 until midway through college. And yes, I actually did find it on the side of the road, knocked down from a plow. That being said, just because it was knocked down and I "found" it there doesn't mean taking it was anything less than stealing public property as it was in good enough condition that it could have been put back up. Moral of the story: ya you really can find street signs laying about on the side of the road.

I have a Stop sign in my basement. It is in very good condition except it has a bullet hole in it and the incident number written next to that. The bullet missed its intended target. It was being thrown out after the case was resolved. And they said I could take it.

I know as soon as he told me he had the signs my stomach dropped, I knew how dumb that was, definitely a "nail in the coffin" for sure, but yea I'm not trying to "insult anyones intelligence" on the forum...what kind of elaborate heist is going on in your head right now to make you think theres "more" to the story..?

It's a very simple answer, really: the fact that I have been a member of this forum since 2005 and I have read a lot of "stories" by people that frequently leave out important EEI's (essential elements of information) to posture and omit shady or odious elements of the events. The fact that people will write about a hypothetical "friend" when they are really writing about themselves, and want to put a "best foot forward." The fact that I work in the criminal justice system (not a LEO) and deal with accounts or narratives of people who will omit certain facts or slant things in such a perspective so as to color the situation in a manner that distorts the facts. The fact you are a new member of this forum (welcome, btw, I hope that you enjoy your time here, it is probably the best forum of its type on the internet...period) and your veracity has yet to be established (not being judgemental here, merely reserving judgement, I appreciate your dedication to preserving 2nd Amendment Rights).

Your friend needs to get a very good attorney very quickly and must realize that the police are not his friends, that the DA is interested in a conviction and that there are sufficient facts to move forward. The sooner that he realizes that he is in very deep doo-doo, the better, that this is not a game and the potential for his life to be ruined is great.

I also get tired of hearing about mistakes one does as a youth. Granted, everyone probably does something that could get them a record, but they were lucky and didn't get caught. Some of us were VERY lucky. Someone gets busted for being a minor in posession of alcohol, for instance is not an uncommon offense, a one time thing, an aberation if you will. Your friend, if I read your posts correctly, has multiple juvenile offenses and that sends out a red flag. You say he wasn't in too much trouble, yet the majority of us who read and post to these boards have never been in trouble at all outside of a few traffic offenses, perhaps. It doesn't make us imbued with virtue and like I said earlier maybe makes some of us lucky. I will grant you too, that the police and prosecuters frequently go after someone who gives off a certain vibe that almost guarantees conviction he may be "easy pickins" so to speak...but still if your friend is so F******G STUPID that he hasn't already lawyered up, then he gets what he deserves.

So call me harsh, call me cynical, call me uncaring....but to quote the famous newcaster Walter Cronkite: "That's the way it is."

All the best to you and your friend,

Mark056

Last edited:
What Mark said is so true.

Amen,

Rich

It's a very simple answer, really: the fact that I have been a member of this forum since 2005 and I have read a lot of "stories" by people that frequently leave out important EEI's (essential elements of information) to posture and omit shady or odious elements of the events. The fact that people will write about a hypothetical "friend" when they are really writing about themselves, and want to put a "best foot forward." The fact that I work in the criminal justice system (not a LEO) and deal with accounts or narratives of people who will omit certain facts or slant things in such a perspective so as to color the situation in a manner that distorts the facts. The fact you are a new member of this forum (welcome, btw, I hope that you enjoy your time here, it is probably the best forum of its type on the internet...period) and your veracity has yet to be established (not being judgemental here, merely reserving judgement, I appreciate your dedication to preserving 2nd Amendment Rights).

Your friend needs to get a very good attorney very quickly and must realize that the police are not his friends, that the DA is interested in a conviction and that there are sufficient facts to move forward. The sooner that he realizes that he is in very deep doo-doo, the better, that this is not a game and the potential for his life to be ruined is great.

I also get tired of hearing about mistakes one does as a youth. Granted, everyone probably does something that could get them a record, but they were lucky and didn't get caught. Some of us were VERY lucky. Someone gets busted for being a minor in posession of alcohol, for instance is not an uncommon offense, a one time thing, an aberation if you will. Your friend, if I read your posts correctly, has multiple juvenile offenses and that sends out a red flag. You say he wasn't in too much trouble, yet the majority of us who read and post to these boards have never been in trouble at all outside of a few traffic offenses, perhaps. It doesn't make us imbued with virtue and like I said earlier maybe makes some of us lucky. I will grant you too, that the police and prosecuters frequently go after someone who gives off a certain vibe that almost guarantees conviction he may be "easy pickins" so to speak...but still if your friend is so F******G STUPID that he hasn't already lawyered up, then he gets what he deserves.

So call me harsh, call me cynical, call me uncaring....but to quote the famous newcaster Walter Cronkite: "That's the way it is."

All the best to you and your friend,

Mark056

Hey thanks for all your input, but no I'm not the one in the situation, just an old high school friend, who I rarely see..he already has a lawyer and is going back to court soon..I'll keep ya posted.

ACANFRIO, Ryan, 24, 2 Englewood Drive, Harwich; three counts receiving stolen property of a value less than $250 and possession of a firearm without FID card Feb. 4 in Harwich. Pretrial hearing March 27.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for all your input, but no I'm not the one in the situation, just an old high school friend, who I rarely see..he already has a lawyer and is going back to court soon..I'll keep ya posted.

ACANFRIO, Ryan, 24, 2 Englewood Drive, Harwich; three counts receiving stolen property of a value less than $250 and possession of a firearm without FID card Feb. 4 in Harwich. Pretrial hearing March 27.

I'm sure he'll be glad you posted all of that info on the web! [rolleyes]

Jeez... I owned a condo in the condo complex at that address years ago... there goes the neighborhood!

[smile]

If he's been arraigned, all that is public record.

I agree completely but it wasn't being injected into the net until now. Any future potential employer could search his name and this post will come right up, and he'll be judged regardless of outcome. Just my $.02. He probably already said too much with the OP anyway.

I agree completely but it wasn't being injected into the net until now. Any future potential employer could search his name and this post will come right up, and he'll be judged regardless of outcome. Just my $.02. He probably already said too much with the OP anyway.

Oh really, where do you think that came from? If it looks like a police blotter report found in a newspaper, it probably is!

Take a look here and see for yourself . . . the post was lifted verbatim from this webpage:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090304/NEWS/903040323/-1/SPECIAL05

Sorry but this goose is cooked regardless of outcome. And any potential employer will KNOW that he was arrested and arraigned . . . that will stay with him for life, no matter where he goes.

Once you take the "ride" there is no going back (in MA)!

Seriously, are you trying to singlehandedly destroy this guy?

You need some basic common sense yourself regarding 'what to' and 'what NOT to' post in public forums.

PLEASE let his lawyer try to help him, and clam up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom