My First Firearm :)

Adam_MA said:
OK...
I just checked it out using one of those same snap caps like you have. The problem seems to be that the snap cap round goes farther into the chamber than a regular round... Therefor the extractor does not get onto the round the same as a real live round. That being said, the loaded chamber indicator does not move into the slide as far as it does with a real live round...

Thank you very much for the testout :)
makes perfect sense to me, plastic would be rammed in there pretty well.

Go to a range, and with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction insert a magazine with at least 2 rounds, release the slide stop and chamber a round. Then you can check to be sure...

I only say to do this at the range, because you never know what condition the firearm is in, and weather or not it will slam-fire.

Roger that [!]

1. You have an excuse not to go to work that day
2. You can visit the S&W National Shooting Center which is nearby
3. You can visit the Springfield Armory

:) sounds like a day

I just had a chance to take a few pictures. I didn't have time to resize them, we're heading ot a friends house in a few minutes, so I'm just goint ot post links.

Empty:
Empty.jpg

Plastic Dummy round:
PlasticDummy.jpg

AZoom Snap Cap:
AZoomSnapCap.jpg

Live:
Live.jpg

The Live round move the extractor the most. & the plastic dummy round the least. (this is a brand new dummy round.) I would follow Adam's advice and check this at the range. Compare the differences in how much the extractor moves. Also note whether or not the paint is still in the recess in the slide.

The loaded chamber indicator end of the extractor only recesses into the slide less than 1/8 of an inch if that much.

Hope this helped a little. I'll resize them later or tomorrow morning.(most likely in the morning.)

PM sent I'll update the post in the morning with clean images.

CD

ETA: images updated

SnakeEye said:
yet another reason i didnt get a glock due to the hexagonal bore and its unconventional lands. i dont want to have to pay top dollar for ammunition to go plink targets.

I've always taught newbies that the most important thing about selecting a handgun is to get one that you personally are comfortable shooting, so I'm not going to try to change anybody's mind about which gun they like. (De gustibus non est disputandem.) Having said that, I've got a Glock 27 that I used in John Peterson's course a few weeks back. I'm not a Glock nut, and personally would have preferred to use my CZ, but couldn't come up with enough magazines at the last minute. I hadn't bothered to clean it for several hundred rounds of mixed ammunition before the class (don't know exactly how many), shot roughly 900 rounds of Wolf ammo through it that weekend (the cheapest .40 I could find on short notice), and have run roughly another 400 rounds through it since in practice, all without cleaning and all without any failures to feed or to fire.

Ken

My son recently graduated from the police acadamy and had to buy a .40.

He's a lefty and didn't know what to get. I fondled a P99 over real well and recommended it to him. He looked at it and agreed. He loves it.

It's probably the most lefty friendly gun out there right now.

yet another reason i didnt get a glock due to the hexagonal bore and its unconventional lands. i dont want to have to pay top dollar for ammunition to go plink targets.

I have no doubt as to the staggering number of rumors and tales of bad mojo there are on the internet that are most likely completely baseless, but being as i am still a "newbie" :) , i decided to air on the side of caution anyways

I've always taught newbies that the most important thing about selecting a handgun is to get one that you personally are comfortable shooting

the P99 was purchased on recomendation from members here with my left handed criteria. I have no real reliable sources of information in my general circle of friends, so this place and its membership are clearly an important resource for me.
I then went up and fondled the sw99 myself to make sure it was a good fit... between the ambi mag release, large slide stop,backstrap selection and the finger grooves and checkering i found this gun a great fit for me.Ive got skinny fingers and the 99 is definetly not too big and its by no means a compact. Its got some good weight to it with its beefy slide + a high cap mag, but i wanted that to help with recoil. Ive always shot better with heavier metal framed pistols than with the lighter glock (the 19 being my only experience),though easy to manipulate lefty, i recall shooting poorly with it and it having snappy recoil. this was a nice contrast between modern polymers and metal frame pistols.
who knows after a couple of hundred rounds at the range i may indeed not like this pistol, but i needed to start somewhere and with strong recomendation behind it seemed as good a place as any for a lefty to begin

Back
Top Bottom