• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Dan Wesson Rifleā€¦.Revolver?

Finally got the shroud back from DW! Luckily no damage during transit šŸ˜…

I couldnā€™t fit the shroud over the barrel due to the burrs from the drilled and tapped holes on the inside of the shroud. Took a few minutes to carefully file the burrs with some Diamond files. Fits like a glove now.

Also made sure to loctite the screws and torque to 20 inch pounds. Donā€™t want to shear off the screws like I did on the 44 mag šŸ¤£

Canā€™t wait to sight it in!

A74AC0E5-CA47-4C30-AB4E-293AD5CB3AD7.jpeg CA032016-5ED6-4C21-836C-8D6FBBC4A9C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got the shroud back from DW! Luckily no damage during transit šŸ˜…

I couldnā€™t fit the shroud over the barrel due to the burrs from the drilled and tapped holes on the inside of the shroud. Took a few minutes to carefully file the burrs with some Diamond files. Fits like a glove now.

Also made sure to loctite the screws and torque to 20 inch pounds. Donā€™t want to shear off the screws like I did on the 44 mag šŸ¤£

Canā€™t wait to sight it in!

View attachment 563217View attachment 563216
I love that the pic rail is DW, too. I'm curious, will the fact the scope is a Bushnell further tweak the DW purists?

Also, stupid question I didn't know I had: where is the cylinder release? Is that the slider-looking thing on the crane bar?

I love that the pic rail is DW, too. I'm curious, will the fact the scope is a Bushnell further tweak the DW purists?

Also, stupid question I didn't know I had: where is the cylinder release? Is that the slider-looking thing on the crane bar?
Ya itā€™s a beefy pic rail. Solid steel. Most of the DW compatible scope rails are aluminum.

šŸ˜‚ it is a Bushnell but I will say the quality is very good. I have 2 other of these bushnell pistol scopes on my other DWā€™s. These have been discontinued for a little bit and were $185+ scopes. I bought all of mine from sellers on ebay ranging from $120-$150

Yup the cylinder release is that button forward of the cylinder. You press/slide it down while pushing the cylinder outward. Neat design and the lockup is solid.

Thanks for sharing a cool DW. They are cool revolvers. I wish the trigger smoothness were more comparable to a S&W but.... I love the barrel versatility.

Thanks for sharing a cool DW. They are cool revolvers. I wish the trigger smoothness were more comparable to a S&W but.... I love the barrel versatility.
agreed in DA, they have a wall and arent as smooth as the Smiths, but in SA i think they are equal

agreed in DA, they have a wall and arent as smooth as the Smiths, but in SA i think they are equal
Yup. Though my 715 that had a trigger job by Bob at DW is pretty damn slick even in DA.

Where'd you find the 15" barrel? Easy storage being able to lean. Lol
I bought the whole gun which had the 15 inch barrel, factory barrel box etc. from Amoskeag Auctions up in Manchester, NH. I bought it through the proxibid auction site.

I recently purchased a Dan Wesson model 15 with two barrels, love it.
Hey! I remember you telling me at the range how much you paid for that along with the ammo, you got a hell of a deal. What barrel lengths do you have again?

Ya itā€™s a beefy pic rail. Solid steel. Most of the DW compatible scope rails are aluminum.

šŸ˜‚ it is a Bushnell but I will say the quality is very good. I have 2 other of these bushnell pistol scopes on my other DWā€™s. These have been discontinued for a little bit and were $185+ scopes. I bought all of mine from sellers on ebay ranging from $120-$150

Yup the cylinder release is that button forward of the cylinder. You press/slide it down while pushing the cylinder outward. Neat design and the lockup is solid.
i wonder - when you shoot with that 2-6x - does it provide a truly significant benefit compared to a usual 1moa red dot sight? how does the additional weight of the 2-6x scope affects the accuracy hand held?

i wonder - when you shoot with that 2-6x - does it provide a truly significant benefit compared to a usual 1moa red dot sight? how does the additional weight of the 2-6x scope affects the accuracy hand held?
My range only goes out to 120 yards but it's much easier to hit my 8" steel plate at 120 with a scope than with a red dot - at that distance and that size target anyway. I haven't tried this offhand with the scope yet but my other scoped DW's I've shot offhand - though it gets a little tiring after a while with the 744. I've only shot out to 50 yards offhand with the scope.

Though the vortex venom red dot I have is 2 MOA. I use that offhand shooting my steel plate at 50ish yards. Works well there. Haven't done much shooting at 120 with the dot.

I usually have the barrel on a sandbag when I'm shooting out to 120 yards. I don't really want to risk shooting the legs and crossbar for my steel plate[laugh]
So I want the gun as steady as possible.

I will say I typically only use the 3-4X as that is plenty of magnification.

And shooting this offhand with the scope will get tiring real fast [laugh]
Just weighed it...5.5 pounds lol
1642013328448.png

My range only goes out to 120 yards but it's much easier to hit my 8" steel plate at 120 with a scope than with a red dot - at that distance and that size target anyway. I haven't tried this offhand with the scope yet but my other scoped DW's I've shot offhand - though it gets a little tiring after a while with the 744. I've only shot out to 50 yards offhand with the scope.

Though the vortex venom red dot I have is 2 MOA. I use that offhand shooting my steel plate at 50ish yards. Works well there. Haven't done much shooting at 120 with the dot.

I usually have the barrel on a sandbag when I'm shooting out to 120 yards. I don't really want to risk shooting the legs and crossbar for my steel plate[laugh]
So I want the gun as steady as possible.

I will say I typically only use the 3-4X as that is plenty of magnification.

And shooting this offhand with the scope will get tiring real fast [laugh]
Just weighed it...5.5 pounds lol
View attachment 563749
if i plant my wrists on a rifle bag i pretty reliably gong a 10" steel target at 100yds with my shadow 2 that has 1moa SRO sight on it. just need to aim slightly higher than the plate, or at the top of the plate, with 115gr.

a beautiful setup you`ve got there, looks truly amazing.

if i plant my wrists on a rifle bag i pretty reliably gong a 10" steel target at 100yds with my shadow 2 that has 1moa SRO sight on it. just need to aim slightly higher than the plate, or at the top of the plate, with 115gr.

a beautiful setup you`ve got there, looks truly amazing.
I believe it. I should try it with the red dot just for s&gā€™s. Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t be too difficult. I just never attempted it with the dot.

Nice job. Dang, I have been looking for a barrel set when I have cash. never thought to go that big for mine. Although, I can do hand size groups with what I have at 100 yards with my crappy eyes. I paid $400 about 2 and half years ago for it. Revolver prices are insane here.lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_144240_1.jpg
    IMG_20220112_144240_1.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom