• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Dan Wesson Rifle….Revolver?

DW357

NES Member
Wow never thought I’d own one of these crazy long barreled 357 mag Dan Wesson revolvers. 15 inches according to the feds but per the definition of a barrel in MA, it is 16.75"…since the chamber is included in the definition of a “barrel”

Anyway this explains why I changed my avatar/profile photo if anyone was wondering 😂
So I can reenact that scene with the joker in batman 🤣

Overall the gun is in great shape minus the chambers which were fairly leaded - had to scrub those hard.
It has the famous DW plum “Barney” bluing on the frame. One theory is the amount of silica in the investment casting molding used to make the frames. Contamination of the alloy with silica prior to bluing eventually reacts with the bluing and turns it purple. Gorgeous zebrawood grips which are fairly rare and expensive.

I believe it was made in 1982. While the 15 inch barrel assembly was made around 1979 based on the VCI paper in the factory barrel box

8308EC66-2C29-435A-A953-76ECCD1AC447.jpeg
69A27E36-B1BC-4687-87CB-BD6EA1F0DFE0.jpeg
About to hit the range now. I’m in deep shit if I break this one! @dhuze
76989735-3422-4D5B-96DD-E840A9365596.jpeg 635B95A0-A55D-4B55-8237-EDECAD1D0CA5.jpeg

Also mounted a scope just because it fits it well😂

Last edited:
That's in beautiful shape. Prior owner took decent care of it, it seems.
Yeah it really is. They could have done better with the chambers but oh well. I stripped it down for a deep cleaning and lubing.
I’m just hoping they weren’t leaded badly because of undersized chambers. Going to test fire right now if there are any issues I’ll send it to Dan Wesson for a look over
F483DB10-58B1-4BF8-B844-65D9B5014425.jpeg 2F7C959A-9EEF-4644-BDA2-3337C930100C.jpeg

Gonna need lots of powder in your reloads or the squibs will be stacking up. Nice find, though. Wish I hadn't sold my DW all those years ago.
Yup. Just finished 100 rounds of my full power 357 loads.

The scope mount doesn’t work so that was a waste of $50 lol. DW collectors will kill me but I’m trying to decide if I should ship the shroud to DW to drill and tap the shroud to mount a scope base. They are ROCK solid unlike these clamp on mounts. Hmmm 🤔

Does a big flag pop out when you pull the trigger???

:)
Hahahaha! This is the comment my wife made when we were looking at .22 single actions, and the guy pulled out a Heritage revolver with 16" barrel. Then the guy standing behind us said he'd just bought one. Oops.

Put a shoulder stock on that baby and it would be irresistible.

gdcssu57vqzz.jpg

I hate to admit this is the first blued revolver I’ve ever owned. What’s the preferred method to clean off the fouling from the outside of the cylinder? I’m thinking CLP on a bronze brass cleaning brush?

I wish i would have bought the Dan Wesson when i had the chance. Fantastic example of a great revolver you got there. I imagine that barrel is quite heavy.

Alright everyone, I will start collecting money on how long it will take Andrew to break this one. [smile]

@andrew1220 that is beautiful. After buying a 10" revolver, I decided I will most likely never buy a handgun over 10", it is too heavy for steady off hand aiming, I am wondering, how much does that 15" weight?

Shooting .357 probably feels like a .22 out of that.

Alright everyone, I will start collecting money on how long it will take Andrew to break this one. [smile]

@andrew1220 that is beautiful. After buying a 10" revolver, I decided I will most likely never buy a handgun over 10", it is too heavy for steady off hand aiming, I am wondering, how much does that 15" weight?

Shooting .357 probably feels like a .22 out of that.
Lmao. It’s such a weird feeling because there’s a ton of muzzle blast from the 357 but then the recoil is like 38 special

Back
Top Bottom