moving TX to MA (near Boston), have some questions

As far as the argument of moving to NH, to me it is a matter of convincing her and finding out a decent area to live. I hear the drive to/from Nashua sucks though.. any suggestions?
It doesn't matter where you are in NH -- the drive to Boston still sucks. Route 3, I93, I95. They all suck. And don't even think about doing the drive when it snows.

I did the reverse commute from Wayland to work in Nashua at exit 1. It sucked. And that was a whole lot better than the reverse.

First post newbie here. We have pondered this 'move to NH' question as well. Each person's situation is different. If the only thing important to you is firearms, NH may be the ticket with its easier laws and wide open spaces. Most people take a balanced approach, considering other factors such as travel time+cost, cost of living, quality of schools (for families), proximity to a major city and cultural centers (for things to do).

I did the analysis for our family - we would save about $10k a year if we moved to NH (this considers the differences in income tax (-), property tax, (+) sales tax (-), and housing values (-). As your salary and spending increases, and the cheaper your house, NH becomes a noticable value. As I said earlier it was getting near $1k/month for us.

I finally received my LTC (no restrictions), and I live in Lexington, MA. Took a bit of time of course (filed in mid April, got it mid June), but painless and no snags.

I did the analysis for our family - we would save about $10k a year if we moved to NH (this considers the differences in income tax (-), property tax, (+) sales tax (-), and housing values (-).
Note that if you live in NH but work in MA, you still have to pay MA income tax.

I've finally made it up to MA for my job and am currently leasing (month to month) a hotel room. Since I haven't gotten a MA drivers license yet, I don't think I can apply for a resident LTC.

I'm going to sign up for a firearm safety class since that seems to be step #1. Any suggestions? Should I apply for a non-resident LTC or wait until I have a more permanent residence (which could be 2-3 months)

To the OP: make sure you buy all the non compliant guns you can, sell the high cap mags back home and pick up some 10 rd ers at some point. Make sure you get your Glocks, Springfield xDs, other non compliant guns, etc NOW before you get here, and buy "extras"!

OP did mention that he would be moving to a 'green' city, but 1911 is right; given your collection, consider southern NH - housing's likely to be cheaper as well but property taxes will be higher.

I agree about southern NH. Property taxes aren't all that bad considering there isn't a sales tax or state income tax. Car insurance is usually cheaper too and no license, not much for restrictions on gun ownership in NH. You won't have to register all those guns with the state of NH like MA requires. You'll be able to buy ammo and reloading components from mailorder and internet dealers and have them legally shipped to you too.

my property taxes are 6 grand a year, but the houses are reasonably priced so in the end the housing costs including the MA income tax hit balance out.

To the OP what town/city will you be working in?

Mrs G. works north of 128 off 93, I work in Woburn, and I can leave the house at 6, drop her off at 630, and be in my office by 635. I pick her up at 4 and we are home in 45 minutes, and that includes a 10 mile trip on local roads after we get off the highway.

Commuting in Metro Boston is a function of dodging the main commute, flex time is your friend if you can do it. You can leave Woburn at 8 AM and get to boston at 945, or leave at 930 and get there at 955,

Lots of people from Southern NH take the commuter bus, or drive to Woburn or Medford and get a MBTA train or "express" (ha ha ha) bus to State Street/Government Center.

I moved to this God-forsaken place nine years ago next month from Austin.

I have regretted every bitterly cold, slushy second of it

I know how you feel. My wife and I moved up here from FL almost 5 years ago, 'cause she got a great job in Cambridge, but in retrospect, I'd rather be back down there with the heat, mosquitos and gators. MA SUCKS! [angry]

Move to NH. Seriously. You can commute to Mass from there without too much difficulty, and they have a much more reasonable attitude about firearms there.

Back
Top Bottom