moving TX to MA (near Boston), have some questions

Wow lol, I can't believe how many of us hate this state.
The laws in this state and the way it is operated do suck really bad though.
I really don't know why someone would want to move here.

As it turns out, I might be staying in TX after all. Not because you guys scared me away from Mass but it sure didn't help. I'll know for sure in a week or two but thanks for all of the help.

Mike

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forum and from various MA gov. sites but want to make sure I understand the laws when moving from out of state.

- I want to get an unrestricted A license (plan on living in a green city). I apparently have 60 days from moving to MA to get a license but from what I hear the process can take considerably longer. What do I do with my guns if it takes longer than 60 days (other than just storing them and hoping that nobody knows)? What happens if the license is denied (though it sounds like at minimum a restricted A license is almost always given)?

- I have a moving company moving all of my stuff. Is it ok for them to move the weapons too (the moving company doesn't restrict guns as far as I can tell)?

- Can I bring in a few glocks (G23, G19, etc.) with their original capacity magazines or do they all need to be 10 rounders or less? Am I going to be forced to sell my 'normal' cap magazines?

- Can I brink in an AR-15 with the usual pistol grip, collapsing buttstock, and flash suppressor or does it have to have fewer 'deadly' features (this crap is so stupid)?

- I also have a regular pump action shotgun. I assume that there are no problems with that.

- What exactly constitutes 'proper' storage for pistols? Trigger lock (lame), quick access safe, gun case lock, etc..

- What is 'proper' storage for the long guns if you don't have a gun safe? Trigger locks (argh)?

Thanks for any help,

Mike

I'm also a Texan being relocated up to MA for job reasons. I was shocked to see how difficult it is going to be to own a gun up there. This web site has a lot of useful information and links (which I'm reading through) and I've already bought 10 round mags to replace my 12 and 17 round mags (which I guess I'll have to leave with a relative down here)

If, after reading, you have any questions or are unclear about something, feel free to ask it... moving here can be culture shock.

If, after reading, you have any questions or are unclear about something, feel free to ask it... moving here can be culture shock.

Culture Shock is an understatement. To a gun owner it'd be like getting hit in the face with a wooden paddle. Then when you wake up one tends to ask themselves "What did I do? Why am I still here?" [laugh]

-Mike

You'll have no issues in Massachusetts. The commute from NH sucks. I've had numerous clients who sell there homes and make the move north to NH and regret doing it. The ride to work is brutal and costly and NH property taxes are steep. If you're working in MA you'll still be paying MA income tax so you'll be paying the increased property taxes for nothing.
There's a reason that Real Estate close to Boston is expensive. It's because there are good paying jobs and lots of cultural opportunities. Not to mention some of the best hospitals and schools in the world.
Paying a few bucks more for a Glock and having to pin your collapsable buttstock on your AR are hardly good reasons to commute an hour every day.

edit: that's an hour each way

You'll have no issues in Massachusetts.

Yeah, if the OP wants to cripple or sell some of his guns, he's just dandy. [thinking]

The commute from NH sucks.

Depends on where you're going to and from. If you going into Boston,
everything will suck, from anywhere. Most affordable housing in MA into
Boston sucks for commuting, too, because most of the stuff that isn't
overpriced is outside of the 128 loop.

I've had numerous clients who sell there homes and make the move north to NH and regret doing it. The ride to work is brutal and costly and NH property taxes are steep. If you're working in MA you'll still be paying MA income tax so you'll be paying the increased property taxes for nothing.

I guess freedom has no value to you, then. I can see it for some of your
clients, as most people who relocate into this state live in a bubble and
enjoy going "thank you sir may I have another! " Living in MA is fine
as long as you're willing to put blinders on to everything wrong with this
state. I'm guessing the people posting here are not so blind, hence why
they're asking the questions.

There's a reason that Real Estate close to Boston is expensive.

Moonbats with trust funds will do that, they tend not to bargain very
well. Same thing happens in CA. Lots of overvalued garbage.

It's because there are good paying jobs and lots of cultural opportunities. Not to mention some of the best hospitals and schools in the world.

I'll agree on the Hospitals, but, yes the world would not be the same without
overpriced colleges and greasy hippies playing banjoes in harvard square. Oh, the humanity! [laugh]

Paying a few bucks more for a Glock and having to pin your collapsable buttstock on your AR are hardly good reasons to commute an hour every day.

Not having to beg the police chief every 6 years for "permission" to own guns = priceless.

Not having to worry about "the change of the guard" when your chief retires
= priceless.

Being able to own a Suppressor. (or three or four)
= priceless.

There's more than that, and that's just SOME of the gun stuff. Nevermind the fact that the state government is inherently less corrupt, and also much more accessible to the common man. Your vote also actually "counts" in NH. Down here, unless you are a full on moonbat, your interests are not represented in government at all, with a couple of narrow exceptions here and there. I've just scratched the surface, too.

Of course, by all means, if none of that stuff means anything to the buyer, they should just buy a condo w/parking as close as they can afford to Boston and be
done with it. Ignorance, of course, is bliss. [laugh]

edit: that's an hour each way

An hour each way is nothing. Sack up and drive. [laugh] I live in MA
and I'm probably doing 1:00 - 1:15 each way as it is.

I agree that commuting sucks, but frankly so doesn't being an MA resident.

-Mike

Last edited:
You'll have no issues in Massachusetts. The commute from NH sucks. I've had numerous clients who sell there homes and make the move north to NH and regret doing it. The ride to work is brutal and costly and NH property taxes are steep. If you're working in MA you'll still be paying MA income tax so you'll be paying the increased property taxes for nothing. edit: that's an hour each way

Every time I come home if I honestly feel a bit of relief crossing back into NH. It almost feels like being on vacation. You could offer me a free house in MA and I still wouldn't move back to that shit hole.

I grew up in MA and have never regretted moving to NH nearly 15 years ago. Yes I work in MA. More than half of the people that work there commute from NH. At least 3 I grew up with and now all live in NH. The commute to work from NH is about the same for many of the MA residents that work there.

I've met very few people that regret moving to NH. Most never look back. As for the property tax, that also depends on the town. Many areas in MA have property tax that is just as expensive.

I'd add more but Drgrant just about covered it.

You just can't put a price on freedom.

Shoot I would ever move back to MA. We can't wait to leave the hell hole.[grin]
I'm looking forward to having seasons other than hot, hotter, very hot, warm-hot that we have here in Houston TX. And having been unemployed for the past two months, I'm ok with some idiosyncrasies of MA if it means I'm getting a steady paycheck.

The day I got the job offer, I went out and celebrated by going down to the sporting goods store, buying a new 9mm that I had been wanting (my only other gun is out for repairs) and trying out at the shooting range - all without a license of any kind. The guy next to me and I started talking and when he found out where I was moving he said I'd better check MA laws because the 12 round mag that I had wouldn't be legal.

I'm not sure where I'll be living (the first month I'll be in an extended stay hotel) but the post with the color codes will be helpful in making a decision. I'm going to be sure the first thing I do is find a gun club and sign up for any courses that I will need before applying for LTC. I don't want to knock MA (because since I'm still a non-MA resident, I'm still an outsider) but I guess you don't know what you're missing until you don't have it. Never thought something simple as owning a firearm could be made so difficult.

I'm looking forward to having seasons other than hot, hotter, very hot, warm-hot that we have here in Houston TX. And having been unemployed for the past two months, I'm ok with some idiosyncrasies of MA if it means I'm getting a steady paycheck.

The day I got the job offer, I went out and celebrated by going down to the sporting goods store, buying a new 9mm that I had been wanting (my only other gun is out for repairs) and trying out at the shooting range - all without a license of any kind. The guy next to me and I started talking and when he found out where I was moving he said I'd better check MA laws because the 12 round mag that I had wouldn't be legal.

I'm not sure where I'll be living (the first month I'll be in an extended stay hotel) but the post with the color codes will be helpful in making a decision. I'm going to be sure the first thing I do is find a gun club and sign up for any courses that I will need before applying for LTC. I don't want to knock MA (because since I'm still a non-MA resident, I'm still an outsider) but I guess you don't know what you're missing until you don't have it. Never thought something simple as owning a firearm could be made so difficult.

Seriously consider moving to NH and commuting to MA. I'm originally a west coaster, so yes when we first moved here the 4 seasons were very appealing, now as we are getting older the winters really suck, not to mention the politics here, so we are looking to move from here as soon as hubby can retire.
Texas is on the list since my brother lives there(Wichita Falls area) and so isn't New Mexico.

Seriously consider moving to NH and commuting to MA. I'm originally a west coaster, so yes when we first moved here the 4 seasons were very appealing, now as we are getting older the winters really suck, not to mention the politics here, so we are looking to move from here as soon as hubby can retire.
Texas is on the list since my brother lives there(Wichita Falls area) and so isn't New Mexico.

I'm originally from Wichita Falls. [grin]

My brother is actually in Burkburnett. He's looking to buy a house with some land in and around there. I really liked it there when I was there for a month in Mar.
I got there right at the start of your tornado season. [laugh]

Friend of mine who retired from the air force lives in Burkburnett. I also ran across some friends I went to high school with on Facebook who now live there. Small world!

Yeah, if the OP wants to cripple or sell some of his guns, he's just dandy. [thinking]

Depends on where you're going to and from. If you going into Boston,
everything will suck, from anywhere. Most affordable housing in MA into
Boston sucks for commuting, too, because most of the stuff that isn't
overpriced is outside of the 128 loop.

I guess freedom has no value to you, then. I can see it for some of your
clients, as most people who relocate into this state live in a bubble and
enjoy going "thank you sir may I have another! " Living in MA is fine
as long as you're willing to put blinders on to everything wrong with this
state. I'm guessing the people posting here are not so blind, hence why
they're asking the questions.

Moonbats with trust funds will do that, they tend not to bargain very
well. Same thing happens in CA. Lots of overvalued garbage.

I'll agree on the Hospitals, but, yes the world would not be the same without
overpriced colleges and greasy hippies playing banjoes in harvard square. Oh, the humanity! [laugh]

Not having to beg the police chief every 6 years for "permission" to own guns = priceless.

Not having to worry about "the change of the guard" when your chief retires
= priceless.

Being able to own a Suppressor. (or three or four)
= priceless.

There's more than that, and that's just SOME of the gun stuff. Nevermind the fact that the state government is inherently less corrupt, and also much more accessible to the common man. Your vote also actually "counts" in NH. Down here, unless you are a full on moonbat, your interests are not represented in government at all, with a couple of narrow exceptions here and there. I've just scratched the surface, too.

Of course, by all means, if none of that stuff means anything to the buyer, they should just buy a condo w/parking as close as they can afford to Boston and be
done with it. Ignorance, of course, is bliss. [laugh]

An hour each way is nothing. Sack up and drive. [laugh] I live in MA
and I'm probably doing 1:00 - 1:15 each way as it is.

I agree that commuting sucks, but frankly so doesn't being an MA resident.

-Mike

Mike,

I agree with everything you posted -well done!

The wretched gun laws here, as bad as they are, are simply a symptom of what happens when moonbats are allowed to govern completely unchecked.

They pass predatory gun laws (and other rubbish) to permanently alter the political landscape. The intent is to continually drive out clear thinking individuals with principles who could threaten their hold on power and their ability to achieve their view of utopia.

Only sheeple are desired and cultivated.

It's too late for MA to be saved.

I can't think of more drastic move to make than from Texas to Massachusetts.

Last edited:
Friend of mine who retired from the air force lives in Burkburnett. I also ran across some friends I went to high school with on Facebook who now live there. Small world!

My brother ended up there courtesy of Boeing. He is a Boeing contractor there on Shephard. He loves the gig and gets to travel 1 week a month.
Seriously though if you have to move to MA look into living in NH. You will be glad you did.
It's funny you moving here and we can't wait to move to TX or NM. Just to leave the horrendous gun laws and politics.

My brother ended up there courtesy of Boeing. He is a Boeing contractor there on Shephard. He loves the gig and gets to travel 1 week a month.
Seriously though if you have to move to MA look into living in NH. You will be glad you did.
It's funny you moving here and we can't wait to move to TX or NM. Just to leave the horrendous gun laws and politics.

I'm hoping the economy picks up in the next couple of years so that I can find something in the Dallas area.

I thought about looking into NH but I want to keep the commute to work to a minimum. My last three years I've been commuting out of town during the week; I'm looking forward to spending more time at home with the family.

I'm hoping the economy picks up in the next couple of years so that I can find something in the Dallas area.

I thought about looking into NH but I want to keep the commute to work to a minimum. My last three years I've been commuting out of town during the week; I'm looking forward to spending more time at home with the family.

Keep in mind you could fit all of MA and NH in the state of Texas. Most people on this forum would be much happier in NH. I don't think you're fully aware how bad MA really is. Hey it's your choice. You'll find out for yourself what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
no joke

no one in here is joking, this place is so bad. the taxes are high, the economy
sucks and they want to raise taxes....

Folks in this state know what gun means, "i wonder how many have seen one"

I can't impress upon you enough to go somewhere else, NH sounds good.

But you need to decide for yourself, i am certain you will regret it.

JimB

Great thread!
I too moved from down south and was amazed at the insane gun laws of MA.
When I changed jobs from in PVD to Cambridge, I vowed to make the commute every day, and have done so for almost 2 years. It does suck, but at least I can take the train in. I do miss the 2.5 hours of my of my life that I lose every day on the commute. There is a few less moonbats in RI, so the firearm laws do not *completely* suck. (CCW is very difficult, and you have to take an idiot test to *buy* a handgun.. but no AWB, etc).

AT LEAST once a week I get into a "where do we want to live" discussion with the g/f. She lives just outside of Boston and it STILL takes me damn near an 45 min - an hour to get to work via mass transit, and almost 30 min if I drive from her place to work. (and almost an hour to get back to her place if we leave at rush hour). Depending on where you live/work, getting around in the area blows goats no matter how you slice it.

As far as the argument of moving to NH, to me it is a matter of convincing her and finding out a decent area to live. I hear the drive to/from Nashua sucks though.. any suggestions?

no one in here is joking, this place is so bad. the taxes are high, the economy
sucks and they want to raise taxes....

Folks in this state know what gun means, "i wonder how many have seen one"

I can't impress upon you enough to go somewhere else, NH sounds good.

But you need to decide for yourself, i am certain you will regret it.

JimB

I'll be living in one of those extended stay hotels for the first 30 days, so I'll have the chance to see the area before I buy something up there.

I'm hoping the people I meet are as friendly and helpful as you all are.

Back
Top Bottom