moving TX to MA (near Boston), have some questions

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forum and from various MA gov. sites but want to make sure I understand the laws when moving from out of state.

- I want to get an unrestricted A license (plan on living in a green city). I apparently have 60 days from moving to MA to get a license but from what I hear the process can take considerably longer. What do I do with my guns if it takes longer than 60 days (other than just storing them and hoping that nobody knows)? What happens if the license is denied (though it sounds like at minimum a restricted A license is almost always given)?

- I have a moving company moving all of my stuff. Is it ok for them to move the weapons too (the moving company doesn't restrict guns as far as I can tell)?

- Can I bring in a few glocks (G23, G19, etc.) with their original capacity magazines or do they all need to be 10 rounders or less? Am I going to be forced to sell my 'normal' cap magazines?

- Can I brink in an AR-15 with the usual pistol grip, collapsing buttstock, and flash suppressor or does it have to have fewer 'deadly' features (this crap is so stupid)?

- I also have a regular pump action shotgun. I assume that there are no problems with that.

- What exactly constitutes 'proper' storage for pistols? Trigger lock (lame), quick access safe, gun case lock, etc..

- What is 'proper' storage for the long guns if you don't have a gun safe? Trigger locks (argh)?

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the forum and from various MA gov. sites but want to make sure I understand the laws when moving from out of state.

- I want to get an unrestricted A license (plan on living in a green city). I apparently have 60 days from moving to MA to get a license but from what I hear the process can take considerably longer. What do I do with my guns if it takes longer than 60 days (other than just storing them and hoping that nobody knows)? What happens if the license is denied (though it sounds like at minimum a restricted A license is almost always given)?

Just shut up about the guns (Don't even mention that you have any, it's not required nor prudent). Get the license, if you don't get an A then worry about it then.

- I have a moving company moving all of my stuff. Is it ok for them to move the weapons too (the moving company doesn't restrict guns as far as I can tell)?

Yes, but why would you want to? Take them yourself if you can.

- Can I bring in a few glocks (G23, G19, etc.) with their original capacity magazines or do they all need to be 10 rounders or less? Am I going to be forced to sell my 'normal' cap magazines?

If they were made prior to 9/13/1994, you can keep them, otherwise you'll need to sell them. If you're not sure, sell them. Possession is a felony in MA

- Can I brink in an AR-15 with the usual pistol grip, collapsing buttstock, and flash suppressor or does it have to have fewer 'deadly' features (this crap is so stupid)?

Again, if it was made prior to 9/13/1994, evil featuers are fine, otherwise you are restricted to AWB compliant firearms.

- I also have a regular pump action shotgun. I assume that there are no problems with that.

Nope

- What exactly constitutes 'proper' storage for pistols? Trigger lock (lame), quick access safe, gun case lock, etc..

For storage in your home, either a gun lock or locked container. In the car, a locked trunk or locked container.

- What is 'proper' storage for the long guns if you don't have a gun safe? Trigger locks (argh)?

Locks

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Answers bolded.

I was under the distinct impression that aside from those evil black rifles, you can move to mass with magazines and guns not on the list, as long as they are part of your collection and not a truckload full for sale. I was in a similar position and that is how things were explained to me with my non-mass-approved gun.

I was under the distinct impression that aside from those evil black rifles, you can move to mass with magazines and guns not on the list, as long as they are part of your collection and not a truckload full for sale. I was in a similar position and that is how things were explained to me with my non-mass-approved gun.
Your impression could land you jail with a felony conviction that would result in you being federally prohibited from ever owning a firearm.

In MA, you only possess large capacity magazines if you have the appropriate license (LTC-A or B) and they must be pre-ban -- constructed prior to Sept. 13, 1994. Possessing large capacity magazines (greater than 10 rounds for rifle and pistol, greater than 5 rounds for shotgun) that were manufactured after that date is a felony in MA. There is an exception for law enforcement officers.

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.

In case you didn't already run across them in your searches for MA firearms laws:

Gun Owners Action League

Four Seasons Guns Mass. Laws & Regulations page - and one of the best gun shops in the state.

Welcome to NES, as well!! Hope you enjoy your stay. You might want to look through your collection and check for anything you've always wanted, but can't buy here, and get one before you move. Or, you could look for pistols that we can't buy here, that you could sell for a premium after you move in, get your license, triggerlocks, etc., etc.

Like a Browning Buckmark..... [sad]

Depending on where 'near Boston' you live, you might not even be able to get a license.

OP did mention that he would be moving to a 'green' city, but 1911 is right; given your collection, consider southern NH - housing's likely to be cheaper as well but property taxes will be higher.

Depending on where 'near Boston' you live, you might not even be able to get a license.

I don't know of any towns near Boston that outright deny all license applications. Even Boston and Brookline will routinely issue the restricted A.

Where is the date stamp on high cap magazines made after 1994 again? Aside from those marked government only, I was not aware of any such date stamp.

To apply for an LTC in MA you'll need a training certificate from a MA State Police basic firearm safety course instuctor. Since the post-training application-to-issuance process routinely takes 45 days, I'd suggest that you sign up for a class just prior to moving. You will find info on classes on this site, the NRA site and on the GOAL site.

I agree with the previous comments. Pre-ban magazines and pre-ban assault rifles are OK, post-ban versions must be MA compliant, and your handguns (less magazines as noted) are OK.

If you've been reading posts here, you already know there are many handguns that cannot be sold by FFL Dealers in MA, and MA is not a very gun friendly state. NH is indeed a great alternative.

If you've been reading posts here, you already know there are many handguns that cannot be sold by FFL Dealers in MA, and MA is not a very gun friendly state. NH is indeed a great alternative.

OTOH, every problem is an opportunity. You can purchase some of those nasty, non-MA AG approved handguns (sans hi-cap magazines of course) before you move, bring them with you and they're then in the state legally. Once you get your LTC A & if you decide for whatever reason you no longer WANT those guns, you can then sell them - legally - to MA residents - following all applicable MA state laws. Given the scarcity of legally obtainable guns not approved by the AG you can make a reasonable profit on the deal w/o gouging - thus making everyone happy. Just know you can't sell more then 4 in a year (IIRC).

OTOH, every problem is an opportunity. You can purchase some of those nasty, non-MA AG approved handguns (sans hi-cap magazines of course) before you move, bring them with you and they're then in the state legally. Once you get your LTC A & if you decide for whatever reason you no longer WANT those guns, you can then sell them - legally - to MA residents - following all applicable MA state laws. Given the scarcity of legally obtainable guns not approved by the AG you can make a reasonable profit on the deal w/o gouging - thus making everyone happy. Just know you can't sell more then 4 in a year (IIRC).

Note that by the above I am in no way suggesting or advocating straw purchases. I just said that if, for whatever reason, he decides he no longer wants these guns that he's brought in with him it would be legal for him, as a private individual, to sell them in MA so long as he didn't sell more then 4 in a year.

Thanks for the help guys.

As for NH vs MA, I'm not sure I want a 40 minute commute to Nashua (closest city in NH to where I'm going to work). Plus my job is in MA so I'll still get hit with all the taxes. Guns are a lot easier to own in NH but does the NH carry license work in MA (reciprocity)?

Other questions I have:

- Can I buy more new 10-round glock magazines in MA or do I need to buy them all before moving?

- Can I buy more 30-round AR-15 magazines in MA(are they even legal to have in MA)?

- What areas are restricted even with an unrestriced class A license (schools?, etc) or where can I find that list? The A license information on the MA gov sites don't seem to go into that detail.

- What do you do with your gun if you're carrying but need to enter a restricted area? Leave it in the car I assume, but how do you legally secure it?

Thanks again for all of the help,

Mike

As for NH vs MA, I'm not sure I want a 40 minute commute to Nashua (closest city in NH to where I'm going to work). Plus my job is in MA so I'll still get hit with all the taxes.
The commute would likely be a bitch. But the real estate cost would be less. Only you can decide what is better for you.

Guns are a lot easier to own in NH but does the NH carry license work in MA (reciprocity)?
No reciprocity, but you can get a MA non-resident LTC. Unfortunately, it costs $100 and has to be renewed each year.

- Can I buy more new 10-round glock magazines in MA or do I need to buy them all before moving?

You can buy 10 round magazines in MA.

- Can I buy more 30-round AR-15 magazines in MA(are they even legal to have in MA)?

If you can find pre-ban 30-round AR15 magazines, you can buy them in MA. Note, however, that most online retailers will not ship magazines, ammunition, and ammunition components to MA. So you'll have to either buy them at a local gun store, find a private party selling them, etc.

- What areas are restricted even with an unrestriced class A license (schools?, etc) or where can I find that list? The A license information on the MA gov sites don't seem to go into that detail.

You can't carry in schools. That includes colleges. See MGL Chapter 269 Section 10j: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-10.htm

- What do you do with your gun if you're carrying but need to enter a restricted area? Leave it in the car I assume, but how do you legally secure it?
You would have to unload it, put in a secure container or locked trunk. I generally avoid doing so.

As for NH vs MA, I'm not sure I want a 40 minute commute to Nashua (closest city in NH to where I'm going to work).

After you make the mistake of moving to MA, this commute will look appetizing. Trust us- it does suck, that bad.

Plus my job is in MA so I'll still get hit with all the taxes.

True, but you won't be paying absurd sales taxes on common items, and get forced into buying oveprriced booze and tobacco, among other things.

Guns are a lot easier to own in NH but does the NH carry license work in MA (reciprocity)?

No, it doesn't, but frankly I'd rather be paying $100/yr for the MA non-res than living in MA.

IMHO gun owners (especially gun enthusiasts, which you probably are) who haven't lived in MA won't fully understand how badly it sucks until you take residency here and see how messed up the state, and its laws actually are. Once you discover that, you will be itching to get the hell out. Hint: It helps to view it this way- the state of MA does not view gun ownership as a right, but more like a privilege that can be revoked at a whim. Look up "Discretionary Licensing" for starters.

We also have an attorney general here who meddles in our otherwise legal commerce- for example- have fun trying to get a company to ship ammo to MA. (There are still a few that do, but we don't publish their names on here for obvious reasons!)

And that's just the "gun owner" angle. There are other things that suck about MA, but we won't even go into that.

-Mike

Last edited:
Are you effn crazy

Move to southern NH and commute. It's not that bad trust me.

If you are a shooter forget living in MA, really
NH is a gun friendly state, no permitting BS, lovely scenery, etc etc etc

the downside is you pay state tax to MA while living in NH, but it is the price you pay for your freedom... no kidding, no BS, I couldn't get a gun in MA, but I moved to NH and had one 20 minutes after I got my drivers license... that easy

Well, I'm getting really turned off to MA, but hopefully there are enough good things about it too to offset some of the bad. (I used to live in California so I know what high taxes are like.)

Ok, another question I thought of:

- Is there a limit to how much ammo I can bring in as part of the move? I probably have thousands of rounds of various calibers at the moment.

Mike

Well, I'm getting really turned off to MA, but hopefully there are enough good things about it too to offset some of the bad. (I used to live in California so I know what high taxes are like.)

Ok, another question I thought of:

- Is there a limit to how much ammo I can bring in as part of the move? I probably have thousands of rounds of various calibers at the moment.

Mike

Not on bringing it in but on storing it.

10K centerfire
10K Rimfire
1K loose Primers

In MA you will need a permit from your local fire chief to store more 10K centerfire, 10K rimfire, and 5K shotshells, and 1000 primers in a single family dwelling in MA. In a condo or apartment the values are way less than this. (There's also limits on powder, but I forget them offhand. This is probably covered on GOAL's website. )

This is MA CMR stuff (regulations, not typical "law" ) though and is rarely/never enforced- however, it's been said that if your house burns down, and the insurance company finds out you violated CMR, they may try to deny a claim. Could be very expensive and a permit is cheap insurance, and most places issue storage permits, only problem is trying to convince them the permit actually exists. (So few people get storage permits, that sometimes the local chief will act bewildered when you ask them about it. )

-Mike

Vellnueve he can bring the Glocks in... His only concern is the mags.

When I read the question, I thought it was solely about the mags, not the guns. Of course he can bring the Glocks in. I blame sleep deprivation.

Last edited:
would the OP care to divulge what city/town he will be working in and where in MA he is looking to buy?

Based on work location we can suggest places in NH to live, and as for MA housing we can tell him if it is gun friendly.

Medford... forget about a permit to carry, Waltham...same, Boston forget it.... shall we continue?

Back
Top Bottom