Moving From TX to Boston, need info.

I'll be keeping my TX residency as I'll probably only be staying in MA until finishing Grad School, however I will be transferring into the MA National Guard (if that makes a difference for any licensing/training requirements).

I have several NFA items (MG, AR-15 SBR, Saiga-12 SBS, suppressor) along with a .50BMG, folding stock AK and several high-cap pistols; that apparently aren't the most welcome in MA.

So here are my Questions:
-With a "Class-A" license can I own the post-ban high cap mags, or does that only allow me to own pre-ban mags?
-As long as ATF approves moving my MG to MA, can I bring it & then apply for the MA state license? Can you get such a license in Boston?
-I know my suppressors are no-gos in MA, but what about weapons with threaded barrels (particularly handguns)?
-Is my Saigia-12 with folding stock & pistol grip legal in MA?
-Is there a state .50BMG ban?
-I've seen Boston has several additional "Good Ideas" about guns, is there anything in particular I need to be aware of?

Any info ya'll can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'll answer a few of your points, and try to head off what you're about to hear from many others. Many people are about to say: Don't do it. If you care about guns, and it sounds like you do, Boston proper is going to be radically different than what you're used to. Prepare to have several posters say this forcefully.

Answers that I know:
1. No post-ban high caps, Class-A or otherwise.
2. I don't know the order you must do for NFA items, but my impression is you're unlikely to get a machine gun license in Boston proper. This is not my interest area, so hopefully someone else will chime in on this.
3. Threaded barrels are fine on handguns. On rifles they can cause headaches. "Evil Features" can invoke the assault-weapons ban.
4. Probably not. Depends on exact configuration and date of manufacture. "Evils Features" are alive and well in MA.
5. 50BMG is fine so long as you let me shoot it.
6. Not my area of interest, but probably.

Most of the Guard units in the state are training to be deployed to Afghanistan next year. They were supposed to deploy this august but the date has been pushed back. What`s your MOS?

I'll be keeping my TX residency as I'll probably only be staying in MA until finishing Grad School, however I will be transferring into the MA National Guard (if that makes a difference for any licensing/training requirements).

I have several NFA items (MG, AR-15 SBR, Saiga-12 SBS, suppressor) along with a .50BMG, folding stock AK and several high-cap pistols; that apparently aren't the most welcome in MA.

-With a "Class-A" license can I own the post-ban high cap mags, or does that only allow me to own pre-ban mags? No, they must be pre-ban
-As long as ATF approves moving my MG to MA, can I bring it & then apply for the MA state license? Can you get such a license in Boston? I highly doubt that they would issue the permit, but it's possible
-I know my suppressors are no-gos in MA, but what about weapons with threaded barrels (particularly handguns)? Most handguns are ok, rifles that fall under the AWB are not unless pre-ban
-Is my Saigia-12 with folding stock & pistol grip legal in MA? You will need to pin the stock
-Is there a state .50BMG ban? No
-I've seen Boston has several additional "Good Ideas" about guns, is there anything in particular I need to be aware of? Don't move to Boston

Any info ya'll can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My advice would be, check this thread http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...uide-to-gun-rights-in-your-Massachusetts-town Find a town that is Green and move there. You will have to commute, but will save yourself some frustration in the long run.

If you care about guns, don't live in Boston proper. There are suburbs that are far more hospitable. I think the chance of you getting a MG permit in Boston is pretty much zero. Same for getting an unrestricted LTC (which allows you to carry). Do a search for 'guide to gun rights in your massachusetts town' to see which towns issue unrestricted LTCs.

Regarding which of your guns and mags are and aren't legal, pretend it's 2003. The federal AWB was copied in to MA law before it expired.

Preapre for culture shock.

Visit www.goal.org - The Gun Owner's Action League. A lot of relevant info will be there.

Each town or city sets its own rules to a certain extent, Boston is (from what I've heard) less friendly then most.

There will be a lot of replies.....you'll get a lot of valid, if no "good" info.

Welcome to New England.

-With a "Class-A" license can I own the post-ban high cap mags, or does that only allow me to own pre-ban mags?

Possession of "large capacity" (10+ rounds) manufactured after 9/13/94 is a felony.

-I know my suppressors are no-gos in MA, but what about weapons with threaded barrels (particularly handguns)?

Suppressors and flash hiders are a no-go. A threaded barrel is ok on pistols (with no other "evil" features), and "pre-ban" rifles.

No.

-I've seen Boston has several additional "Good Ideas" about guns, is there anything in particular I need to be aware of?

These threads may be helpful...

Detailed Steps On How To Apply For A License In Boston
Boston Assault Weapon Ban
Moving To MA? Read Here First

-As long as ATF approves moving my MG to MA, can I bring it & then apply for the MA state license? Can you get such a license in Boston?
-Is my Saigia-12 with folding stock & pistol grip legal in MA?

First problem that nobody else picked up . . . RESIDENCY!

Boston is VERY unlikely to issue you ANY LTC at all, tell you to go to the state and get a NR LTC. In either case it will almost certainly be restricted to "no CCW".

With a NR LTC, you can possess some things, but NOT buy anything in MA . . . NO ammo, NO guns of any type.

There is no such thing as a NR Machine Gun License, so no dice here. Boston won't issue a MG License even to residents (99% certain) either.

Pre/Post-ban issues have adequately been covered before my response.

There is a Boston gun ban local law (posted in one of the stickies here) that I think has been "updated" to ban 50 cal, but I'm not absolutely certain of that. If so, possession in Boston would be a crime. Boston also bans any "AWs" so AR15s, etc. are banned for residents that didn't get their one-time license in 1989 (single point in time to have been "grandfathered"). They also have their own "stubby knives only" law in the City.

Choose Arlington to live in if you really need to be in/around Boston.

Thanks so much for all the info. Wow. Quite a cultural difference to say the least.... In Austin (a very liberal city, even by non-Texas standards) the Police have no problem signing off on NFA toys & don't give you any hassle for carrying in your car w/o a CCW (their typically more likely to ask "what you carrying"?).

Looks like I'll be leaving my AR at home, but I have a 77/22 threaded for a suppressor; I take it that's not going to be considered an AW?

Most of the Guard units in the state are training to be deployed to Afghanistan next year. They were supposed to deploy this august but the date has been pushed back. What`s your MOS?

I'm currently sitting in Iraq so I'll have at least two years stabilization. But the 'stan is getting interesting.... On paper I'm a 19A Armor Officer, but ever since I graduated Ranger-School I keep getting stuck as a dirty-nasty Infantryman (why walk when you can ride into battle?) [smile]

With a NR LTC, you can possess some things, but NOT buy anything in MA . . . NO ammo, NO guns of any type.

Like for real? No buying ammo without a license? Is there anyway around that or to get an endorsement to purchase ammo?

Looks like I'll be leaving my AR at home, but I have a 77/22 threaded for a suppressor; I take it that's not going to be considered an AW?
Nope. Just leave the suppressor home. MA would rather you annoy the neighbors and damage your hearing.

Like for real? No buying ammo without a license? Is there anyway around that or to get an endorsement to purchase ammo?

There IS a way to get around that: drive to New Hampshire or Rhode Island.
Sorry, Roland... didn't notice you'd posted that already.

No, I'm not joking. Welcome to the People's Republik of Marxachusetts. Live Free or [strike]Die[/strike] Here.

Last edited:
First off, thanks for your service. It seems that there are a lot of bearded pissed off people in those countries that end in -stan. At the very least, we can assure you that MA is better than that.

However, this is coming from someone who recently moved from MA to NH. My advice, fwiw, if at all possible, try and find a NH border town to live in. We're only an hour or so from the city, and the laws are much friendlier up here.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much for all the info. Wow. Quite a cultural difference to say the least.... In Austin (a very liberal city, even by non-Texas standards) the Police have no problem signing off on NFA toys & don't give you any hassle for carrying in your car w/o a CCW (their typically more likely to ask "what you carrying"?).

I'm currently sitting in Iraq so I'll have at least two years stabilization. But the 'stan is getting interesting.... On paper I'm a 19A Armor Officer, but ever since I graduated Ranger-School I keep getting stuck as a dirty-nasty Infantryman (why walk when you can ride into battle?) [smile]

Wow, sucks to be you sir. You have to hang out w/us nasty grunts and you don`t even get a CIB for being shot at.
How`s Austin, I`ve always wanted to check that city out for possible retirement?

First off, thanks for your service. It seems that there are a lot of bearded pissed off people in those countries that end in -stan. At the very least, we can assure you that MA is better than that.

However, this is coming from someone who recently moved from MA to NH. My advice, fwiw, if at all possible, try and find a NH border town to live in. We're only an hour or so from the city, and the laws are much friendlier up here.

Good Luck!

Ditto. Boston to NH isn't like Austin to Albuquerque. Lots of folks, including my brother, commute interstate every day, and the NH laws are much friendlier. Hopefully some of the NH folks on this site can answer your questions as they relate to NH law.

+1 for the culture shock. There are a few Southern transplants here, and we can all vouch for it being a different world when it comes to gun laws.

That being said, you will also find that many of the folks here on this forum are more rabid about defending the rights they have left, as they know what it is like to have to fight for it. [smile]

Last edited:
This really pisses me off. Let's make sure that Tex gets to come out to an NES shoot soon after he arrives. I for one would like to make him feel welcome here, even if the laws make him feel otherwise.

Tex, if/when you make it to Mass, and if you're still here (on NES), your Green Membership is on me.

This really pisses me off. Let's make sure that Tex gets to come out to an NES shoot soon after he arrives. I for one would like to make him feel welcome here, even if the laws make him feel otherwise.

Tex, if/when you make it to Mass, and if you're still here (on NES), your Green Membership is on me.

Very cool of you, reps inbound. It is an adjustment, and having a good group of folks like the NES crew makes it much easier. (Although I am still not moving to MA if I can help it!) .

I honestly took my rights for granted until I moved to the area and started shooting again. Hell, where I used to live the sheriff and most of the other LEOs I knew (and I knew a *lot*) said there is no way in hell they would ever enforce the AWB. You could walk up to a LEO and talk guns all day. Its a different world here.. some folks will run around screaming with their hands flailing in the air if you even mention you own a firearm (I actually had that happen, minus the screaming and flailing. A girl flipped out on the train when I mentioned I owned a gun after she was talking about a shooting in the paper a couple years ago. I soon realized I would not be hooking up with her any time soon!).

After I moved here and joined up on the NES forums I realized all is not lost in the Northeast.

Very cool of you, reps inbound. It is an adjustment, and having a good group of folks like the NES crew makes it much easier. (Although I am still not moving to MA if I can help it!) .

I honestly took my rights for granted until I moved to the area and started shooting again. Hell, where I used to live the sheriff and most of the other LEOs I knew (and I knew a *lot*) said there is no way in hell they would ever enforce the AWB. You could walk up to a LEO and talk guns all day. Its a different world here.. some folks will run around screaming with their hands flailing in the air if you even mention you own a firearm (I actually had that happen, minus the screaming and flailing. A girl flipped out on the train when I mentioned I owned a gun after she was talking about a shooting in the paper a couple years ago. I soon realized I would not be hooking up with her any time soon!).

After I moved here and joined up on the NES forums I realized all is not lost in the Northeast.

Thank you. It's the least I can do. The timing of this thread hit home for me, although indirectly. I just talked to a guy at work who moved here from Ohio a while back. I asked him if he was into firearms, and he got kind of somber and told me that he sold all his guns before the move because he couldn't make heads or tails of the laws here and figured it would just be easier to abandon them. Very sad. But I'm going to get to work on helping him get licensed, if he'll let me.

I just talked to a guy at work who moved here from Ohio a while back. I asked him if he was into firearms, and he got kind of somber and told me that he sold all his guns before the move because he couldn't make heads or tails of the laws here and figured it would just be easier to abandon them. Very sad. But I'm going to get to work on helping him get licensed, if he'll let me.

We've seen that defeatist mentality, and quite recently. A newbie asked about Glocks, having moved here from another state with some. The ignorant licensing officer told him it was ILLEGAL for him to even possess a post-'98 Glock. The newbie came here, all panicky, and put all his Glocks up for sale.

We all told him the cop was WRONG and how he had misinterpreted the law. We all told him it was perfectly legal for him to own them (minus any post-ban mags, that is). He apparently sold them anyway.

Some people just can't be helped. Let's hope your friend from Ohio isn't one of them.

This.

Sweet! UpStomp, I'm still a few months (hopefully) from relocating to your AO so I may just take you up on it.

How`s Austin, I`ve always wanted to check that city out for possible retirement?

Austin is fantastic. I spent 4 years there for my undergrad at UT, tons to see & do with San Antonio 45mins away and the Padre Island about 2.5 hrs. It's pretty liberal but a distinctly Texan-type liberalism. You'll find hard-core baptists convienced it's "Sodom on the Colorado" (yet still live there), a homeless guy that runs for mayor and gets a few thousand votes, at the range you'll find some dude with about 20 piercings & tatoos talking guns & hunting with the obviously gay lawyer in a suit. Quite a place to say the least.

Nope. Just leave the suppressor home. MA would rather you annoy the neighbors and damage your hearing.
Just to be clear, there is no way to get around this short of making yourself a FFL manufacturer or LEO/MIL with the appropriate paperwork.

Suppressors are illegal for civilian ownership period. No tax, no ATF, no license, just no... Can't be done...

If you have a legal means of maintaining the TX residency, do that and leave the fun stuff there. MG licenses are hit and miss all over the state. Boston is horrible, but its not alone.

Just to be clear, there is no way to get around this short of making yourself a FFL manufacturer or LEO/MIL with the appropriate paperwork.

Suppressors are illegal for civilian ownership period. No tax, no ATF, no license, just no... Can't be done...

If you have a legal means of maintaining the TX residency, do that and leave the fun stuff there. MG licenses are hit and miss all over the state. Boston is horrible, but its not alone.

I hate to burst the bubble for people, but he is going to be a Mass resident when he moves here. Is he moving on orders? I have impression that he is moving on free volition.
It means filing Massachusetts tax returns and resident LTC and MG license. Why wouldn't he want to have a Mass residency? We need more details, but it sure doesn't sound like he can work here and say that he is a Texan with no income tax.

I hate to burst the bubble for people, but he is going to be a Mass resident when he moves here. Is he moving on orders? I have impression that he is moving on free volition.
It means filing Massachusetts tax returns and resident LTC and MG license. Why wouldn't he want to have a Mass residency? We need more details, but it sure doesn't sound like he can work here and say that he is a Texan with no income tax.
Assuming student status... Tax isn't an issue - you pay non-resident income tax if you work here...

Good luck and bring an extra large bottle of Tylenol for all the headaches you will have after trying to figure out MGLs.

Austin is fantastic. I spent 4 years there for my undergrad at UT, tons to see & do with San Antonio 45mins away and the Padre Island about 2.5 hrs. It's pretty liberal but a distinctly Texan-type liberalism. You'll find hard-core baptists convienced it's "Sodom on the Colorado" (yet still live there), a homeless guy that runs for mayor and gets a few thousand votes, at the range you'll find some dude with about 20 piercings & tatoos talking guns & hunting with the obviously gay lawyer in a suit. Quite a place to say the least.

"Keep Austin Weird", as the saying goes. I like Cowtown, but really like Austin. Although it's liberal by Texas standards, it's no where near as liberal as the northeast in general and New England (except NH) in general. My suggestion would be to put most of your firearms in storage in TX if possible, apply for a NR LTC here, and then move back to TX as soon as you graduate.

Thanks for your service, stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom